• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski - Doo Steering Swing vs Cat / Polaris Style Steering

wally1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
Thinking about switching to a Summit X this year and was looking for some input on how different the 2 styles of steering feel. Have had a Cat with the vertical post for several years and just wondering how hard it is to get used to the way the bars swing on the Summits. The cats rotate almost flat and it looks like the doo's bars swing down somewhat. Any body that has switched or put some time on each please chime in. That new chassis and motor on the 850 X is pretty tempting. Thanks for any help .

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Everyone makes a bigger deal out of this then it is. Whether you think one is right and one is wrong, if you can ride a snowmobile you can ride either. It will feel different than what your used to but nothing a few hours won't take care of. If it is the first thing you ride, next fall, you probably won't hardly notice. The one thing you will notice is how easy the skidoo steers. When my wife had a t3 and I had a pro I could hope back and forth no problem.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
1 i had cat sleds - liked the steering

2. bought 1st xm - put the post forward kit on it because i thought i needed it

3. bought 2nd xm - did not install post forward kit because it was a pile of garbage design (aftermarket garbage), and the work/modifications were not worth it. i rode it for 1 weekend and i never knew anything was different.

4. bought a 2012 pro for a backup/wife sled. does it feel different, sure. is one or the other superior.....i say no. like terry said above, if you can ride a sled.....you can ride a sled. it isnt a breaking point from one to the next i dont think.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Rode skidoo for many years all,the through the XM switched tomCat in 2014 36 wide front end fixed steering post and my sled is perfect for me .... Ride the XM quit a bit bars for me need to be vertical if not slightly forward for me .... Ride Poo bars are slightly pulled back from vertical.

Bars on every sled are adjustable for a reason because there is a sweet spot for everyone.

DPG

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
just make sure the riser is inline with the post and not straight up

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I just made the switch this season from Doo for many years to Polaris. i thought about the first two times I turned the bars and then never noticed it again. After about 6 days on the new sled I test rode a buddies XM and thought these bars feel strange. LOL So I agree with others it's not really that big of deal.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I rode Poo for and/or vertical all my life. Switched to Doo this year. Really was worried. Haven't noticed a thing after the first 100 miles. Actually think I prefer it. The Doo steers easier than my old Pro. I used to end up with golf or tennis elbow end of season. This year my elbows are golden. Skinz relocate is only about 2 bills if you can't adapt. I really thought I wouldn't be able to. As stated earlier. Keep them in line with the post! Tried pushing the riser forward. That felt weird and seemed to adversely effect steering. That was 2nd best advice I got when switching over. Best advice was ride the Scud further back than you do a Poo. At least an XM. G4 might be different. Start out further back though.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
I rode Poo for and/or vertical all my life. Switched to Doo this year. Really was worried. Haven't noticed a thing after the first 100 miles. Actually think I prefer it. The Doo steers easier than my old Pro. I used to end up with golf or tennis elbow end of season. This year my elbows are golden. Skinz relocate is only about 2 bills if you can't adapt. I really thought I wouldn't be able to. As stated earlier. Keep them in line with the post! Tried pushing the riser forward. That felt weird and seemed to adversely effect steering. That was 2nd best advice I got when switching over. Best advice was ride the Scud further back than you do a Poo. At least an XM. G4 might be different. Start out further back though.

Please explain why you need to start out further back on the XM. I thought that was the whole idea of the Rev was to centralize the mass to the center. What does standing further back do specifically?

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
It's the comfort in riding position. If you're bars are in line with the riser,,,,, it will put you in this position regardless of your height.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Please explain why you need to start out further back on the XM. I thought that was the whole idea of the Rev was to centralize the mass to the center. What does standing further back do specifically?

Your feet are slightly further back on the running boards on the Doo then the Poo or Cat when in a natural riding position. That is what he is referring to.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I do have to say that moving the bars forward and lowering them on an XM is confusing to me, after riding this setup a few times it makes no sense to me. I see how the bar lowering can be productive but moving the steering forward makes downhill and sidehill maneuvers so much more difficult and amplifies the wash out potential on the XM.....but im no expert so I must be missing something. If you like that setup go with a PRO or a CAT, no sense in making a XM something its not.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
By the end of the second day you'll be used to the Doo steering. I prefer vertical, but it doesnt take long to get over it.

C
Apr 28, 2008
spokane wa
rode skidoo for many years, went to a pro last year, honestly I like the way skidoo steers a tad bit over the poo, but like others have mentioned after a few minutes you adjust naturally, I can hop from skidoo to polaris all day and not think twice about it. Steering is one of those things that just feels different from sled to sled even if they are same brands. My brother has a saying when it comes to snowmobiles "its all in the gasket between the handle bars and the seat"

wally1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks for all the input guys , definitely helps . Hate to go and plunk down $13,000 on a new sled without riding it but from what everyone is saying it should be pretty easy to adjust. The easier steering would be a plus as I also get "tennis elbow" and sore shoulders by the end of a long trip.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Thanks for all the input guys , definitely helps . Hate to go and plunk down $13,000 on a new sled without riding it but from what everyone is saying it should be pretty easy to adjust. The easier steering would be a plus as I also get "tennis elbow" and sore shoulders by the end of a long trip.

I have a good friend that used to ride cats( M series, and older)switched to a couple pros for a couple seasons. He switched to doo in 14. Main reasons for switching from cat to the pro was steering effort. He has a messed up shoulder, which would get seriously aggravated after riding. Once on the pros he said it was much less aggravating but still a issue. Once going to the doo he said the steering was so light feeling that it felt like power steering. Since riding doos for the past 3 seasons he has complained about his shoulder one time.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
That was the exact reason I bought a 14 xm and gave it a whirl. Just didn't like the fat boards and body so I went back too poo and just boosted the front shock a little more. My old turbo m8 would kill my shoulders. Poo is better but the doo is the bomb for steering effort.

M

mocflats

Jan 21, 2009
I switched from cat to a 14 xm the steering did seem a little strange but I thought only when sidehilling I felt I was always washing out because the swing of the steering wouldn't allow me to get my weight as far forward as I needed put a skinz post forward kit on and the feel seems much better and easier to sidehill

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane
Biggest problem is people rolling the bars way forward which makes them move on an arc.

Virtually in line with the angle of the steering post, only slightly forward, is the place to be.

I have ridden poo's and do not care for the steering, but I suspect if I put a few hundred miles on it would feel more natural.

Premium Features