• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Decisions

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
We head to Cooke in just under 3weeks and I am trying to make some decisions Before we go.

I have 15 breakin miles on the sled but we have no snow so I don't know if I have a belt shredder or a runner. Way I see it my options are as follows:

-leave it stock, seal everything up and hope for the best.
-do the RKT strap (not crazy about drilling up the TCL) and sounds like some have had mixed results...possibly b/c of improper application?
-buy Whiterad's torque stop mount.

Ounce of prevention and everything but money is tight but belts will add up quick so i'm hesitant to use that as an excuse. The mount seems pretty straight fwd and is bolt on...I like that...seems like I'm less likely to screw that up ;)

Other thing is I plan on putting the sled up for sale when I get back. So not wanting to dump A TON of $$$ into it.

Your thoughts?

R

rcaustin

Sep 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
ride it

Ride it.

If you blow a belt, you blow a belt - 120$ for a new belt vs dumping money into a fix which will be at least 120 and you still might blow a blet.... Since you plan on selling it and you don't want to invest much money... i'd just ride it. I haven't done any of the fixes that are out there and I have 350 mi w/ one blown belt.. will have about 550mi by the end of this weekend coming up... unless you plan on riding for 3 weeks straight i'd just ride it. You might get out of it with not blowing any belts, my belt didn't blow till 190 mi... its still not even close to being satisfactory for belt life but it is what it is until cat sends out the fix.

I don't plan on selling mine and I have venting coming as well as the cat updates that i will get done when it is available, also going to gear down which says may help belt temps... but im gearing down not for belt temps but for performance purposes. Cat will send out the fix and everybody will be happy.

But for you, just ride the sled.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Get some prefilter screen and put in front of the clutch intake on the side panel. Make sure the side panels are seated correctly, and ride it. I have 300 miles on the same belt and 3 days last week in over the hood powder and have not had a problem. Don't do a bunch of mods that may effect the warranty or resale of the sled.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Samiams2

As mentioned above. Do as much as you can to cover all the vent openings.
You can buy the pet screen material at Home Depot, in comes in a roll for about $18.00 for a big roll.

Put it over the screen work that goes to the clutch, side vent by clutch. and make a screen over the hood slot. ( take hood off and lay on its side)
cut a screen patch and put over where the air come in from the edge of
hood. make a cover to go over the brake rotor to stop water from being
thrown from rotor. ( Heres the one I made for reference)
fill the body cracks by the A arms and shocks with silicone or use aluminum tape on inside of panels to stop snow dust.

If you do all that and give your clutches a chance to cool once in a while by
stopping to tell everyone how you love the sled, you will be ok.

Ride it and have fun.

Rickm

IMG_0164.jpg

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Samiams2

The Pet Screen is the same material that a lot of aftermarket companies are using to make the side vents on a lot of sleds. Go take a look at it at
Home Depot, it is plyable and easy to work with. You can use the E6000 Glue
from Hobbie Lobbie to glue it down or use aluminum tape to hold it in place.
Hope this helps. RickM

Premium Features