• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 Summit X or 2007 Summit X

G
Sep 16, 2009
I am looking at buying a used sled. I have found two that I like. A 2005 Summit X 800 with 1700 miles, and a 2007 Summit X 800 with 2200 miles. I've heard that the 05 is a much stringer motor. The top end has been down on the 07, but not the bottom. The 05 has never been touched. Just looking for a few opinions. Thanks

R
Mar 9, 2009
i was just in this same situation. i went with the '05 because all the engine problems people were supposedly having with the new 800r in the '07

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
I've heard the same thing, I own the 07 800X, been a good sled, almost 2K on it with out turnin a wrench. Only mod is a Can. Ride it really hard, always put away 'WET' ;)

Z
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula MT

if you want the best, find a used 06. They were reliable, light and went up the hill like a mo fo.. The 05 is a solid sled, but in 06 they came out with the ptek, few more horses and a few less lbs, i had both, enjoyed the 06 much more. I never owned an 07 but i heard all the horror stories that the 800 r had in it's first year, would worry me, however, at 2k on the sled i would think that most gremlins would have poped up by now. also, depends what track is on the 07, not sure which worked and which didnt but i know they offered 2 in 07, one worked and one was junk. Just, my 2 cents. happy hunting, Bill

D
Jun 1, 2004
Big Lake, Minnesota
I bought a 06 800 X last year and the motor had been replaced under warranty before I bought it. Well on my trip out west the DPM went out after I hit a tree. It sounded like it was running on 1 cylinder between 5-6000rpm. Well the dealer replaced it and they said it was not from the tree it was corroded. After it was replaced WOW it pulled so much harder after that and ran stronger that my ZX 800 did. I really like how the strong the motor is.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
The '07 will absolutely destroy an '05 but they had crank bearing race tolerance issues that got corrected mid year. If the case is stamped with an "R" near the motor tensioner then it's a good one. The X and XRS models had the POS Challenger Lite track and the Adrenaline got the good Powdermax track. Once you get those two things straight and all clutching updates the '07 is a much better sled; suspension is dialed quit a bit more than '05's as well.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
I've heard the same thing, I own the 07 800X, been a good sled, almost 2K on it with out turnin a wrench. Only mod is a Can. Ride it really hard, always put away 'WET' ;)

The '07 will absolutely destroy an '05 but they had crank bearing race tolerance issues that got corrected mid year. If the case is stamped with an "R" near the motor tensioner then it's a good one. The X and XRS models had the POS Challenger Lite track and the Adrenaline got the good Powdermax track. Once you get those two things straight and all clutching updates the '07 is a much better sled; suspension is dialed quit a bit more than '05's as well.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Yeah I did have to get rid of the Challenger lite...what a piece of crap........completely agree with the post above............this is one bad azzzz sled. I also own an 07 800 Adrenaline 144 a great runnin sled also but in the Steep N Deep I'll be riding the X
Best a Luck
LA

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Yep that 800R motor hauls azz. Clutching is also an issue but talk to Dynamo Joe or Big John and that thing will beat up most stock sleds.
If it has the C-Lite track and you have some coin to put into a new track go with a Camo Extreme. Along with DJ's helix that thing will be one of the best boondockin sleds.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
Are you implying you do something other than post-whore it up? :D:beer;:beer;

Ditch the camo-lite, get the updates for the primary, and run that 07 like you stole it!

Joe

DONE!!! Ha, ha and you were the one that looked at me when I bought it and said "your gonna hate that track"! LOL!! Truer words were never spoken!
Hey, that almost hurt:D Waz up on Bald Mtn yesterday. Didn't quite make it up. Rainin hard, trail like snot, goin for the last climb and spun out about 10 yards from the top. Needless to say, an exciting slide back where I started:eek:
Winters coming buddy:beer;

G
Sep 16, 2009
Thanks for the input guys!! The 07 is in way better shape then the 05, but that bottom end scares me!! Don't know what I'm going to do! Try and find a 06 maybe!!

Premium Features