• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powderlites Turbo Nytro MTX install thread

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
Going to start my install on Friday this will help with the head shim thanks for taking the time to take pic's and post them this is some good stuff keep it coming :)

You're welcome. You will probably be ahead of me on your install soon, so take some pictures too! I wont be able to start putting the engine back in until the 13th.

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
Well somebody posted this in the thread last night but they must have deleted their post shortly after. I just wanted to make things clear to whoever this person is, although im guessing they must have realized they were wrong because they deleted it. Here is what they said:

Here is the message that has just been posted:
This last pic doesn't look right, if you've added the head shim then the intake cam marks will be on the other side of the index marks on the cam caps and the exhaust mark should be on the other side of the index mark. The object is to close up the overlap by slotting the exhaust cam gear and with the timing mark on the "I". What it looks like from that pic is you have increased the overlap, which means you don't have the timing mark right.

The object is to remove the overlap. Since the engine spins in a clockwise direction(looking from the mag side) then you need to retard the intake cam and advance the exhaust cam.

You also dont want to line up with the "I" which is a horizontal line on the mag. You want to line it up on the farthest to the left vertical line on the mag.

I hope this clears things up for whoever you are :)

B
Apr 4, 2008
NW MT
Sorry, I was out of town. No big deal...the angle that the boost tube went into the rubber 90 which in turn goes into the intercooler was a little off so the 90 is pinched down slightly (not as free flowing). The fix is simple, cut the weld on the front of the boost tube, rotate it downward a little and reweld for a little better angle. Other than that everything went together great. It took quite a bit of time to get the timing perfect and make sure it wasn't a tooth off. Oh, had the fuel pump wired backwards at first too. Once that was figured out, she sarted right up and ran great. This thing is crazy to grass drag!

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
I heard that they had a couple of tubes that were not at the right angle when they were welded. Maybe you got one of those?

They suggest putting that tube in before pulling the engine, is that because its a super tight fit to try and get it in otherwise? Got any pictures with everything installed but the plastics off?

B
Apr 4, 2008
NW MT
Yeah, I can send you pics like that but not on here very well. PM me your E-mail and I'll send 'em.

I don't think it would be a big deal to put the tube in afterwards.

BL

K

khk

Dec 3, 2007
Underwood WA
timing chain tensioner

Well I scroode this up big time I failed to read the section on the timing chain tensioner and snapped the ear of of it. make shore you under stand this part be for you put it back in instead of after. I feel real stupid right now and hope that this will save some one from having a brain fart like me. :eek:

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
m1000 man

How do you like that mtn tamer skid, does it wheelie too much in a steep climb?? How do you have it set up??

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
24.jpg

The instructions call for the big turbo hanger to be on the outside on the short section. I found that things didnt line up the way I liked that way so I am going to put them both on the inside.

25.jpg

I am going to try running the exhaust upside down so I can put a jerry can on the tunnel. The exhaust is pretty tight against the side of the tunnel, I may do a bit of trimming later. That or I will put a piece of rubber there to stop the exhaust from getting cut up too bad on the tunnel.
26.jpg

27.jpg

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
hose clamps

Lococoin,

I noticed you are using the wing nut hose clamps on your charge tube from your turbo in one of your pictures. My PL kit only cam with three of those last year and the had to be used between the intercooler and throttle bodies (it was simply to hard to get a wrench in there). Did your new instructions recommend the wing nuts on the charge line?? Sean

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
Lococoin,

I noticed you are using the wing nut hose clamps on your charge tube from your turbo in one of your pictures. My PL kit only cam with three of those last year and the had to be used between the intercooler and throttle bodies (it was simply to hard to get a wrench in there). Did your new instructions recommend the wing nuts on the charge line?? Sean

I was told to not use those ones on the intercooler. I got rid of those now, i wanted something that i could tighten more than they can handle.

Premium Features