• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SAWS Questions and Answers!

I have been asked to put together some statements regarding what the SAWS position is on issues relating to snowmobile access. So I thought instead of just trying to come up with answers to unasked questions, I figured why not have you folks ask the questions and hopefully I can provide a decent answer.

I will not promise that I will answer every question, and by law, I can not endorse any candidate for office while speaking on behalf of SAWS.

So let's hear your questions.

Dave

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
1st Question: Which part of government (state/federal/congress/president/forest service managment) has the most impact on snowmobilers and access rights?

Last edited:
Very good question Ruffy.

How about if I rank them in order from my opinion for what holds true in the western United States? With the first having the most impact. And I will also add a couple of non-government ones too.

1) Congress

2) President

3) USDA Forest Service

4) Snowmobilers that don't seem to care or get involved in helping to keep their riding areas open

5) Extreme Green Groups

6) DOI

7) State

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
2nd Question:

I know that congress puts together bills for wilderness approval, but where do these bills come from and how are they created (meaning who says which land is going to be wilderness)? Are these state or federal organizations? What types of organizations?

Also, where in the whole process are we snowmobilers most effective in stopping these bills? It seems that with some of them, by the time they get to congress, it can be too late. Knowing how to stop these things from happening in the first place could go a long way.....

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Hey Dave,

Once again, thanks for all you do to help keep our areas open for all to use.

One of the barriers I've experienced in the past, and also heard from others, is the lack of a database of contacts when there is a need to write letters/emails to our reps.

I know the contact information is available online, but most of the gov't sites are not exactly user friendly.

Do you know of a user friendly source for contact info for our various reps when we need to contact them?

Thanks again.

2nd Question:

I know that congress puts together bills for wilderness approval, but where do these bills come from and how are they created (meaning who says which land is going to be wilderness)? Are these state or federal organizations? What types of organizations?

Also, where in the whole process are we snowmobilers most effective in stopping these bills? It seems that with some of them, by the time they get to congress, it can be too late. Knowing how to stop these things from happening in the first place could go a long way.....

Isn't this a second and third question?

I think the answer to the first question is non-profit green groups and also from forest plan revisions recommending additional wilderness acres.

We need to oppse them right up front, before the general public gets behind these bad ideas.

R
Apr 13, 2002
Washington
The links to find your congressman/rep are real easy to use. Everybody needs to join SAWS and send out letters and emails. It only takes a few mins. of your time. Just think about how much free time you will have after they shut down your riding area.
Thanks Dave for all you do. I would suspect it gets disheartening with lack of interest and uphill battles.
My question is why not charge a small fee to help with costs. I would gladly pay. I look at my dues for BRC and WSSA as small donations.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
SAWS is free, so no one has any excuse to not join.

I also want to remind people that the least we can do, is support SAWS. Those of you that can afford $20, $50, or $100, really should consider helping SAWS out. Their free, but they would like to be able to afford to be at more meetings and such. If they were some greenie group, they would be funded by some corporate charitable organization.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I'm not sure if this is an answerable question, but, it always seems like when it comes to land use and possible restrictions and possible closures, the position to all users is defensive. How can that stance be changed to the offensive?

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
I'm not sure if this is an answerable question, but, it always seems like when it comes to land use and possible restrictions and possible closures, the position to all users is defensive. How can that stance be changed to the offensive?

When it becomes elitist to reopen land.

T

Tedd

Apr 14, 2005
Creswell, Or
I know that this is a little off topic, but not everyone has the time and money to dedicate to fighting land closures.
Here is an example of the way one person decided to help fight them.

A local resident here in Oregon who isn't on the forums has started selling t-shirts that are similar to those that 509 films are making and selling. DISCLAIMER:The use of a portion of the design was used with the express permission of 509 films. END DISCLAIMER.

These shirts can be purchased at http://www.racerscorner.com/id46.htm and $5.00 from every shirt sold will be going to either SAWS or the BRC. He has a check for SAWS for $100 dollars after one weekend of sales at the last drag boat race here in Oregon. If interested, see the website listed.

2ND DISCLAIMER:
I am posting this information as Tedd the snowest forum member, not as the Oregon SAWS representative.

Last edited:
My question is why not charge a small fee to help with costs. I would gladly pay. I look at my dues for BRC and WSSA as small donations.

Thanks rynokron,

We have thought about it, but i still thank it is easier to not chrage a few, keep membership number up, and not have to answer the questions that always come with charging a membership fee.

Very good question line8.

I don't have all of the answers to these important questions, but I can tell you that the earlier snowmobilers get involved in a potential closure, the more liekly they will be able to stop the closure. But it is still a defensive position even from the get go.

I guess about the only offensive position we could take, would be to propose to open a closed area, but I don't have the time to even think about trying that appoach. ;)

I know that this is a little off topic, but not everyone has the time and money to dedicate to fighting land closures.
Here is an example of the way one person decided to help fight them.

A local resident here in Oregon who isn't on the forums has started selling t-shirts that are similar to those that 509 films are making and selling. DISCLAIMER:The use of a portion of the design was used with the express permission of 509 films. END DISCLAIMER.

These shirts can be purchased at http://www.racerscorner.com/id46.htm and $5.00 from every shirt sold will be going to either SAWS or the BRC. He has a check for SAWS for $100 dollars after one weekend of sales at the last drag boat race here in Oregon. If interested, see the website listed.

2ND DISCLAIMER:
I am posting this information as Tedd the snowest forum member, not as the Oregon SAWS representative.

Sweet! :D

Thank you Tedd, Todd, racerscorner, and 509. Very much appreciated.

And as always, thank you Wade.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Question

Why are the snowmobile manufacturers along with atv and dirt bikes companies not more involved in the closures of land? You would think they could have a very big voice in all of this.

Question

Why are the snowmobile manufacturers along with atv and dirt bikes companies not more involved in the closures of land? You would think they could have a very big voice in all of this.

I don't have an answer to that question. I guess you would need to ask them. I know for a fact that SAWS so far has received ZERO funds from all of these manufacturers.

Premium Features