• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Check This Out

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A
Feb 20, 2008
Need Help

This is very true. Maybe someone can add a link here so we can start our own paper trail. Or get the petition and we can all sign them on line. Alot of these proposals don't give you access to the land that we ride in the winter. That is part of their plan to make the land that is public un accessable.

M

Mnt bound

Aug 16, 2008
Western Colorado
Holy C!$% Eben this is literally in my back yard. The flattops regoin dome peak proposal is here. That is the forest that is on the other side of my fence. Who do I write to? where do I send Money? Where can I attend Meetings? who should I vote for?

Thank You all for bringing this to my attention.

09 Forum Ride at SLO you in?

A
Feb 20, 2008
Thats dome peak the Flat tops it is all of it.

Even if you are a mountain bike enthusiast guess what you are out. Dont think everyone thinks of that. Even if anyone knows the site please post lets getted started to save our lands. We need to educate the public about the issue. Some people may not even know what they are voting for. Hey trav. Still sitting on a rig call you when i get in town.

B
Jan 18, 2008
Western Slope, CO
Mtn bound,
How funny that you found this on snowest. I told you Mom about last last year.
Lots of places are losing places to ride. Please tell every one you know about this. Not just sledheads but hunters, campers , atv and dirt bikers and yes even the bicyclist. We have a greater chance if we work together and promote multiple use areas. They even want to stop horseback use. !*&% :eek:
Look forward to sledding with ya soon!!!:beer;

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
Who do we need to talk to. Where are the meetings being held that we can voice our opinions to. Someone metioned a petition, lets get one started.

B
Jan 18, 2008
Western Slope, CO
Who do we need to talk to. Where are the meetings being held that we can voice our opinions to. Someone metioned a petition, lets get one started.

Write a letter to Mark Udall and Ken Salazar for starters Don"t use the link on Whiter river wild I made that mistake with Udall and he wrote back saying thanks for supporting more wilderness:eek::eek::mad:WTF! I am going to talk to our club and see what else can be done, will keep[ you posted. The forest service is another avenue that needs to hear from all of us. I heard that ist is better for us to write letters as individuals to the senators, but who knows.

Last edited:
M

Mnt bound

Aug 16, 2008
Western Colorado
Belle Star,

Mom didn't tell me this. She thinks because she doen't have internet no one does. We fought this over here on rabbit ears and buff pass. They ended up taking part of our use area. Your club brass may want to talk to Routt powder riders about stragity. I will talk to my dealer he was involved in this situation here. Will your club draft a letter/petition that its members can sign? I'll join. Are there any jeep clubs over there we can get word to? Can you give us the senators contact info for letter writting? I think Udall is up for re-election. True?

I did talk to one of my friends that works for the forest service (avid sledder thinks this is total C#$%) He says a proposal of this size will take a long time to complete, because of all the goverment red tape. Not very comforting. So we need to get involved. Let me know what I can do besides letters.

B
Jan 18, 2008
Western Slope, CO
Mnt Bound,

I was thinking last night that CSA was asking for donations last year to fund fighting issues just like this one. You could join CSA and they have some great articles about what we can all do to help out. We joined and donated to the right to ride fund. Here is the websitehttp://coloradosledcity.com.
I found Salazar's email Salazar.senate.gov/contact/email.cfm
I will get back to you with Udall's, be sure and read what Udall's stance on the environment is on his web page it is a real eye opener.:confused:
Happy Trails,
Belle Star

M

Mnt bound

Aug 16, 2008
Western Colorado
I spent sometime looking into the whiteriverwild.org and the white river national forest web site. I put together some numbers and ideas that might help you in your letter writing or when talking to other like minded outdoor groups for their support.

The White River National Forest is 2.3 million acres. One largest in Colorado.
Current wilderness with in that is 998,616 acres = 43.42%
White river wild proposes an additional 710,641 acres.
This would total 1,709,257 acres in wilderness area in the White River Forest
= to 74.32% in this forest alone.
Leaving us 590,743 acres to ride on. 25.68% That is a tragity.
Some ideas in my mind for good points to be made include:
Existing roads and campgrounds is the forset just going to act like they never built them and maintained them for 50 years.
Structures like outhouses and powerlines that may be in those areas. How are they going to maintain them.
The beetle problem comes to mind. Why make that much timber that is salvageable with existing roads to access it just fall over and rought. Not to mention a potential wildfire of epic portions. That would be even harder to fight. I dont care what they say on the site. Closing roads means its harder to get the fire fighters in no matter what tools they use.
It is a ill thought land grab by the selfish few that will make managing the forest harder and more expensive for the forest officials. In my mind anyway.

I hope this helps PLEASE email or write the senators.

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
I'm also putting together some hunting numbers of people that hunted areas 25,26 and surrounding. I know that the state gets a lot of money from hunters especially out of stater's that are to lazy to hike and hike to get to where they like to hunt. I also know that the biggest herd of elk in Colorado and north america live in there, and if hunters can't get in there the herd will only grow.

Premium Features