• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whats with the REI ads in the performance section???

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
i can't speak for SW but for my site i ultilize google ads on my site. Occacionally a REI ad will pop up. I do have the ability to block but i don't. Instead i encourage everybody to click on the ad. If you click on the add my site get paid from REI. I thinks it's kind of funny.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
REI is starting to try and court the OHV crowds.
They discovered that OHV crowds (especially ATV) spend money, BIG money.
They are still huge givers to the green farces, but if they are will to pay the site, then let em.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i was in rei about a year ago and put my purchase on my cabelas' card, the clerk mentioned that rei was very glad that cabelas had opened a retail store in the area, as they had realized a noticable increase in their business on account of the large draw that cabelas had from the surrounding states....in talking to a number of rei employees, they were definitely of two camps, those that hated motorsports and those that liked/or were not opposed to them.....i had easy going conversations with several of them and explained my love of the outdoors, camping, backpacking, hunting and motorsports...several were surprised that i could enjoy the variety of each and not be bound by the ideology of one or the other....while it's easy to go off on some of the radical greens, we gain more support by a tolerance of each other and gaining the support of those more in the middle that haven't really made hard decisions one way or the other....the relatively few who snowmobile need at least the tacit tolerance of other outdoor enthusiasts if we are to remain a viable sport in the outback

Battling the extreme.

I'm thinking the same ya'll are thinking. The more we open up to the fence sitters and even extremists, it gives them a chance to see that someone can love and use the outdoors while simultaneously taking care of it. As we take care of trails, clean up trash and put the outdoors back to how we found it, we really make headway with our own and others.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I'm thinking the same ya'll are thinking. The more we open up to the fence sitters and even extremists, it gives them a chance to see that someone can love and use the outdoors while simultaneously taking care of it. As we take care of trails, clean up trash and put the outdoors back to how we found it, we really make headway with our own and others.

+eleventybillion

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I really hate going in there because they ask the most uncomfortable question, Are you a member of REI? I'm like, dude lay off me I'm no extremist!!:devil:

A

Anti-Hero

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 6, 2001
Longmont, Colorado
I picked up an empty beer can that was laying on the trail last Sunday:mad::cool:

Unfortunatly sledder not all but some leave so much $hit behind, i have found belts, plugs, windshields, last year Ollie found a hood? this is one thing that is killing us, you can't try to place blame eleswhere.

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Maybe we should have an AZZHAT test before you can ride!!!

It's sad that there are so many that will gripe about closures and then leave butts, parts, wrappers, and cans behind them in their tracks. Way to give'm ammo AZZHAT!

S
Aug 25, 2001
Minden, Nevada
straight talk

Frankly, Wade, I'm not an admirer, and you missed my point too.
REI does not equate with "little wilderness."
But hey, when they finally host latte we can have a Apex seminar. Or maybe channel when we'll see DI 2-stroke?
At least we can make sure they know our windshields employ nothing but the finest safety glass.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Frankly, Wade, I'm not an admirer, and you missed my point too.
REI does not equate with "little wilderness."
But hey, when they finally host latte we can have a Apex seminar. Or maybe channel when we'll see DI 2-stroke?
At least we can make sure they know our windshields employ nothing but the finest safety glass.

Admirer, cool, I was worried.
DI-2 stroke, 2008 - 2009 season.
REI == All Wilderness.
Latte, don't touch the stuff.
Apex Seminar, Never ridden one, will they be turbos?
Windshields are made of PolyCarbonate I believe, no safety glass.
Missing the point, absolutely, 10-4, 100%, 10 sigma, infinity/0.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
what Wade support Wilderness or wilderness?

I myself think Wade is a good balance on things and a fine spokesman for our sport.

Now for REI, hey I guess they are the ones paying. We have to decide if we pay them or not. Myself I won't as long as I can get quality products from sled and bike dealers and from Cabelas. But if REI is starting to reach across the Bridge maybe we need to as well. When you stop in out of boredom talk with the folks. Let them know what you do and how you feel.

I guess as long as THEY are PAYING to advertise on a motorsports site then that's their deal.

Damn I'm still shocked to learn that Wade is a damn dirty hippie;)

Premium Features