• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SAT phones--What are you using?

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Ran in to a situation where my bro and I scared our wives yesterday. We were a couple hours late getting off the hill because of many stucks. Scaring the wives and wanting to ride again the next day are not good combinations.
SO--
The truth is if we're going to ride in areas where there is not cell service we should have a phone for emergencies and to let family know we are ok but are running behind schedule. A little piece of mind goes a long ways.
I'm wondering what you guys are carrying. What would you recommend? I think one that I can pay as I use instead of a contract would be good but not sure.
Any help would be appreciated.

BigT

D
Nov 26, 2007
I am getting a SPOT Satilite locator for Christmas. Haven't tried it yet but I have heard that they work great for keeping family up to date, asking for assistance, and calling for a medical emergency rescue. My wife likes it because she can even track me on google earth. DB

R

RobG

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2003
Nowhere
Avoid Globalstar for satellite phone service, they suck BAD. They're losing customers left and right because of poor quality or no service at all. I had their service for several years, and last year while out riding, I was uanble to get a satellite lock at all, in a place where in previous years I had had no trouble. I finally cancelled the service this past Spring.

I have a SPOT messenger now. It works very well, but like a sat phone, it requires a clear view of the sky to send messages. There are three kinds of msgs you can send -- "OK", "HELP" and "911". The first two can be sent to up to four email addresses or cellphones (via text msg), and the 911 message goes straight to the authorities.

It's FAR cheaper than a satellite phone... $150 for the unit, $99/year for the basic service, and $50 more if you want realtime tracking.

Rob

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I've had an Iridium for a year or so now. It has been 100% in the Northern US and Southern BC. I am really happy with it (features, battery Life, tough, easy to use). The SPOT sounds cool too. Maybe with that the boys wouldn't be arranging after ride dates from BC at $1.35/min. lol. Good luck. EW

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I'll stick with my two-way radio for now. I can autopatch through repeaters into the phone network if I really need to. I have no doubt I could reach someone who could assist me if I were in a situation where i needed it. Significantly cheaper than a satellite phone as well.

L

LSB

I'll stick with my two-way radio for now. I can autopatch through repeaters into the phone network if I really need to. I have no doubt I could reach someone who could assist me if I were in a situation where i needed it. Significantly cheaper than a satellite phone as well.

51c46d.jpg

thats good if thatll work where you ride, but it most likely wouldnt work in other areas especially if you didnt know the tones etc. Also for instance where I am that wouldnt work at all. So a sat phone would have much broader coverage.

Not to take anything away from the radions I have a vx-150 myself.

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
So, thanks for the replys.
Question on the SPOT though. Do you choose the sessage it sends out when you set it up or does it just send the "OK" message?

BigT

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
So, thanks for the replys.
Question on the SPOT though. Do you choose the sessage it sends out when you set it up or does it just send the "OK" message?

BigT

From the link above it looks like you only get the following options:
-OK
-HELP

-The OK and HELP can go up to four separate e-mails or cell phones (text message)

-The 911 is sent directly to the authorities.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I use my garmin Rhino. I have a gps with me that doesn't let me get lost as well as I can send messages to my wife who has one at home. I can transmit my coordinates through satelite to my wife who has one. My hunting buddies also have them and can find out where I'm at at all times. They can also track where I've been and the direction that I'm going at all times. One time cost of the unit as little as $150 for the lower line of the model which I gave the wife and I paid extra for the top of the line for the one that ends up in the woods because it has a better antenna for picking up satellites. YMMV

How far away can you communicate with the Rhino?

J

johno

Nov 26, 2007
I have the globalstar and have had for about 5 years and seems to be getting worse over the last couple of years. They claim they are getting it in line but no improvement. I use it at a mountain lake I spend a significant time at in the summer as well.

I can usually get a signal and make calls but have to wait for a while to get it and will drop intermittantly.
I would love to hear if there is a better satellite provider that I could get better covereage but I cant imagine going where we go without one.
johnO

You can communicate as far as you want. It is by satellite. The radio portion is only good for a few miles. 5 watts. However, you can send written messages by satellite. The only problem with them is they only appear on the other users rhino for a few seconds. I told my wife if I'm not back by a certain time, to look for a message on the hour. Works good. I can send my location to her at any time and it will update the map on her rhino letting her know exactly where I am. To answer your question, it works anywhere you can get a satellite lock.

They get the GPS coord by sat but don't transmit by Sat. Where did you get your info from.!!!!

F

Flange

Oct 25, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
You can communicate as far as you want. It is by satellite. The radio portion is only good for a few miles. 5 watts. However, you can send written messages by satellite. The only problem with them is they only appear on the other users rhino for a few seconds. I told my wife if I'm not back by a certain time, to look for a message on the hour. Works good. I can send my location to her at any time and it will update the map on her rhino letting her know exactly where I am. To answer your question, it works anywhere you can get a satellite lock.

I don't think so. As far as I know, the Rino's communicate with each other via the 2-way radio.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK

Uh.... NO!

Don't get me started

You have misread my statement.
They communicate through two way radio...yes.

However, you can send text messages on them by satellite. I do it all the time. I can send messages as far away as I want.

Wow! A lot of bashing before understanding.
Do whatever you want, I don't really care. Just thought others would enjoy the luxury of having a gps that transmits your location and messages by satellite with no fees.
Sorry for getting involved in this thread though as this has gotten way off topic.
DONE!

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
I like this SPOT I bought. www.findmespot.com

I get it home, plug in the batteries, sign up on their website, pay them some greenbacks, push OK and I get a google map sent to my email, with a picture of my driveway, where the unit is sitting busily sending OK messages. Pretty cool.

L

LSB

You have misread my statement.
They communicate through two way radio...yes.

However, you can send text messages on them by satellite. I do it all the time. I can send messages as far away as I want.

Wow! A lot of bashing before understanding.
Do whatever you want, I don't really care. Just thought others would enjoy the luxury of having a gps that transmits your location and messages by satellite with no fees.
Sorry for getting involved in this thread though as this has gotten way off topic.
DONE!

huh? your saying you think you send messages FROM your rhino out to a satellite and then back to another rhino user AND its free to boot.

Rhinos communicate over the 2 way radio and send your buddies coordinates that way. Best case scenario theyll shoot horizon to horizon 25 miles or so.

Its just got a garmin gps and a 2 way radio built together with some fancy software. The gps satellites are not up there transmitting messages for people and they surely wouldnt be doing it for free.

Im not trying to start a big argument with you here, I just think your misunderstanding something.

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Avoid Globalstar for satellite phone service, they suck BAD. They're losing customers left and right because of poor quality or no service at all. I had their service for several years, and last year while out riding, I was uanble to get a satellite lock at all, in a place where in previous years I had had no trouble. I finally cancelled the service this past Spring.

I have a SPOT messenger now. It works very well, but like a sat phone, it requires a clear view of the sky to send messages. There are three kinds of msgs you can send -- "OK", "HELP" and "911". The first two can be sent to up to four email addresses or cellphones (via text msg), and the 911 message goes straight to the authorities.

It's FAR cheaper than a satellite phone... $150 for the unit, $99/year for the basic service, and $50 more if you want realtime tracking.

Rob

Only thing keeping me from getting a SPOT are all the bad reviews of the Globalstar network. SPOT Inc. is a subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc., so doesn't it use the same network of satellites? :confused:

Premium Features