• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford F150 3.0 Powerstroke Diesel ???

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
My trailer studs are passenger car tires. If you need a heavier load rating for a larger trailer, just find a pickup truck tire that is studded, they will have more than enough strength for your application. I'm not a tire expert obviously, but I believe the main difference (correct me if I'm wrong) with a dedicated trailer tire is that they have a stiffer sidewall to handle the scrubbing effect from turning on dry pavement, whereas regular vehicle tires don't typically see that kind of side-load. My trailer fully loaded is only about 5,000 lbs +/- and the 4 passenger car tires I'm running together are rated for more weight than that. Also, most of the time (hopefully) we are pulling the tires on snow or ice in the winter and that reduces the side load significantly.

By the time my original set of studded tires started showing symptoms of tread separation, the studs were already worn out anyway and the tires were probably close to 10 yrs old by the looks of them.

I'll be interested to hear what answers you come up with in your research though since you'll be looking for larger/heavier duty tires.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ford F150 3.0 Powerstroke Deisel ???

So I was told that no manufacturer offers a studded trailer tire due to lack of tread depth on “Trailer” class tires.

Studds would require an Light Truck tire

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The interesting thing he said is that it is becoming harder and harder to find suitable LT tires small enough to use on a trailer as none of the automakers are cranking out little trucks like the old ranger that use the smaller diameter tires/wheels

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
So is the choice going to depend on which truck has better incentives? Or have you made your mind up about 250 or 150?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So is the choice going to depend on which truck has better incentives? Or have you made your mind up about 250 or 150?
No, the incentives will have no impact on me at all.
That is just general commentary on where I THINK the automotive marketplace is headed this year.

Right now I am inclined to give the 150 a try.
Everyone in my family is asking me to get a truck that is NICER to be in on a day to day basis.

With the tuning chip, the 3.0L will put out more torque than my current V10 does, so that should be plenty of "Pulling" power.

Perhaps a set of Airbags and a Load leveling hitch should take care of towing a fully loaded 5 sled 28ft Trailer.

The only serious downside would be BAD WEATHER / WIND or the once a year long haul up to Canada (which I think I can safely do with a buddy's F250)

Right now I am trying to discern What, if anything, they are going to change from the 2018.5 to the 2019 edition of the 3.0L Diesel.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
In place of the air bags give the Timbren SES a look at as another option. For someone like you who hangs onto a truck forever you don't have to deal with the air lines and such getting crappy. (maybe that's not as big of deal as it is here in the midwest and the chemicals they put on our roads in the winter.) Very easy fast DIY install and then you never touch them again.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Since I'm pulling RV's and Goose necks for a living now, I'm going to give my 2 cents in on this.

First off, I'll say I think the diesel 150 will do what you want it to. If you’re not in a hurry.
The reason I say hurry is looking at some of the specs.

The main thing that got is the me is the cooling for summer time towing.
In the winter I think the heater will work great. Face-icon-small-win

The 3.0 has 6 quarts oil and 13 quarts coolant and needs two fans.
The 6.7 has 13 quarts oil and 30 quarts coolant.

As for towing I would go with the Timbren SES system.
The main issue with using leveling is that it will remove weight from the rear tires and you don't want that in winter.
I use a Reese High Performance Trunnion Weight Distributing Hitch (1,500 lbs.) on a single wheel one ton. I use it more to make it ride better than to level the unit and help with sway. I also use one less link in Winter.

Everyone in my family is asking me to get a truck that is NICER to be in on a day to day basis.

With the tuning chip, the 3.0L will put out more torque than my current V10 does, so that should be plenty of "Pulling" power.

Perhaps a set of Airbags and a Load leveling hitch should take care of towing a fully loaded 5 sled 28ft Trailer.

The only serious downside would be BAD WEATHER / WIND or the once a year long haul up to Canada (which I think I can safely do with a buddy's F250)

Right now I am trying to discern What, if anything, they are going to change from the 2018.5 to the 2019 edition of the 3.0L Diesel.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Is this what you guys are talking about?
http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/

Timbren-SES-Test-1-640x595.png

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ekUff1zPG80" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
No, the incentives will have no impact on me at all.
That is just general commentary on where I THINK the automotive marketplace is headed this year.

The 3.0L has WAY more power than your V10 has. The 3.0L has as much torque at the rear wheels as yours does at the crank.... So Power won't be an issue. I think its the way to go. It will be a way better daily driver!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The 3.0 has 6 quarts oil and 13 quarts coolant and needs two fans.
The 6.7 has 13 quarts oil and 30 quarts coolant.

I have decided regardless of which Diesel I end up purchasing, the 3.0 or the 6.7 to install the Amsoil Dual-Remote Bypass Filter system.
That will add another 2 quarts of oil, for a 33% increase and cut WAY WAY down on oil changes.

https://www.thebestoil.com/products/bypass-oil-filtration/

bypass_dia_300px.gif

Have not looked into the Radiator Cooling issue as yet, but have considered the Trany Cooler.

Like I said earlier.
I am INCLINED, but by NO means have I made up my mind.
The F250 would be the absolute BEST tower, no doubt about it.
Its just not nearly as nice for day to day driving the other 350 days a year I am NOT pulling a full size sled trailer.

Premium Features