• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't get Team primary clutch off 2016

whithj

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Never had one this stubborn. I'm using the blue Cat puller. I've tried all the below and still no luck:

1) Tipped sled on side filled hole with water inserted puller with teflon tape on the threads tightened with both 18V impact and air impact.

2) Lightly pounded with 4 lb hammer.

3) Heated with acetylene torch.

4) Tried #1 above with tranny fluid thinking it would compress better than water...it made a mess!

Even broke the knuckle out of a S/K 18" breaker bar. It's not getting below freezing to try to let it freeze. Wondering if my impacts are wore out??? Anyone had one this stubborn?

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I've had more than one where I had to whack the end of the puller pretty good to get it apart. Might not be the best thing but if it won't come off you have to do something.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
It is my understanding that teflon tape or whatever it is made from, for gas pipe connections, seals much better than normal teflon tape when using the water method.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I agree on using water and greasing the Teflon tape, also if you are using a smaller 18 volt battery that has some age you may not be getting full torque out of the impact, I found that out the hard way changing out 4 brakes on a car, I had all the wheels come lose because the impact was not putting out max torque because of the small battery, put on a bigger 18 volt solved issue.

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
Had one that wouldn't come off to save my soul. Old guy at a shop asked if I hit it sideways. Nope, that wrecks things.

He walked over tightened the hell out of it, and with a 24 oz pall pean hit the side of the puller and it popped right off.

Goofiest thing I'd ever seen other than the primary that was stuck was laying in the belly pan......

whithj

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
It finally popped off!!! Water, teflon tape on threads, greased threads and tape, ran it tight with air impact repeatedly, snugged with 18" breaker bar, then lightly pounded with 4 lb hammer. When it popped I was tapping the puller on the side. Can't believe the puller tip wasn't bent. By far my toughest primary removal ever. Just glad it was in my shop vs a removal on the mountain or in the trailer. Thanks for the new tips!

Premium Features