• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 MC steering HARD!

J
Dec 10, 2007
Hey all, anyone else's mountain cats turning really hard? I compared my '17 mountain cat to a '17 limited and it's night and day difference between ease of steering on his and mine.

Is drop and roll making that big of a difference?

Factory skis - I want to switch to powder pros but they make the steering even harder.
Shock setup:
Fronts - 55/100
Front skid - 55/120
Rear skid - 115/155

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
put the front end in the air and make sure you don't have anything binding on a full side to side turning.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Your main chamber pressures seem a little low to me. I was riding a 2011 M8 of a friends one time and it felt sluggish and didn't want to turn well. Check the shocks and added some air all the way around and was noticeably better. The whole thing was just riding too low.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
mine feels good. factory setting on limiters is all way out i believe.
once you get it figured out pump that rear shock up a bit if you like hillclimbs. im at 125/200 now. adjust with all weight off or settings will be off.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Front skid shock needs stiffened up but check to see if you have bent tie rods? Mountain cat normally steers easier than the limited in deep snow especially.

J
Dec 10, 2007
thanks guys.

Tie rods are straight.

I'm reluctant to stiffen up the rear at this point because that should give me even more ski pressure.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Think of the front of your track as the balance point of your sled. If you drop the pressure on the front track shock, the front of your sled drops and you add more ski pressure. If you add more pressure the the front track shock, you lessen ski pressure and ease your steering ability.

Raising the rear track shock pressure will raise the rear of the sled and add more ski pressure, so I wouldn't go there.

Last edited:
J
Dec 10, 2007
Sled is melted out.

and I agree, i am going to raise the front skid shock 10-15 psi and see how that goes and I'll look into letting the limiter straps out a notch.

Not touching the rear skid shock at this point.

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
I find mine super easy to steer the wife won't let me ride it when she comes along as it's so much easier then the 14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hewhospends

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I've road a buddy's MC several times and I would say it steers easier than my 16 ltd. I think the dropped chain case makes it even easier to adjust weight front to back and vise versa with the front skid shock. My 2 cents...

J
Dec 10, 2007
Dang, sounds like I've got some skid set up issues then perhaps.

What are you running for shock pressures?

I have a turbo and mountain fit hood so there shouldn't be a question of added weight in the front as those should equal out..

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Dang, sounds like I've got some skid set up issues then perhaps.

What are you running for shock pressures?

I have a turbo and mountain fit hood so there shouldn't be a question of added weight in the front as those should equal out..

How tight do you have the top bushing? The one above the pipe, two 10mm nuts. It should just be snug. If cranked to tight that will cause hard steering.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Do you ever get your sled thawed out?

One thing people dont mention often is the amount of snow and ice that accumulate in the steering box. After a day of fresh ooe, my steering box is usually jammed full of snow that melts down to an iceblock and locks up my steering. The injestion is terrible.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
mine was hard to turn a while back. i jacked up the front when i got home and noticed the boots were dragging on the tie rods a LOT. i think it was just the right condition where the rubber was sticky or something. i rubbed the tie rods with light coating of white grease and problem solved.

J
Jan 20, 2011
2017 mtn cat

Did you ever get the steering figured out.. Mine turns hard too. I rode a 2017 850 skidoo today, it was like power steering.

Premium Features