• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does Weight Really Matter?

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Does a sleds weight really matter? If you climb on a sled and it works and does everything that you want it to do, does it matter what the weight is?

If you found the perfect sled and then found out that it was heavy, would you not purchase it? Or would you get rid of your perfect sled if a lighter weight model simply because of that number?

Personally, I climb on a sled and ride it. Either I like it or I don't. I really don't care what the weight is.

I have seen guys buy a new sled based on weight and noticed that they don't ride any better. They do bring up the weight of their sled a lot though. This is somehow important and helpful, but I haven't been able to figure out how.

I suspect most of this argument is driven by brand loyalty. It seems that the ones that argue the weight issue most adamantly are those who ride the sleds with the lowest published weights. I also think that these published weights are skewed a bit. When Anchorage Yamaha weighed sleds last season, I was surprised at the weight of some of these lightweight sleds.

All sleds are heavy when they are stuck. I've helped dig out sleds from all manufactures and it's a pain in the azz regardless of who built the sled. Trenching in sucks no matter what you ride. And a sled is real heavy when there is a mechanical failure and you aren't able to ride it out. Taco a tunnel, lose an A-arm or have a problem with getting power to the track and that 400 pound sled is crazy heavy.

I feel that weight is a number. A metric that doesn't tell the whole story about a sled's performance. Power, flotation, geometry and weight distribution are all factors in a sled's performance. The total weight of a sled is irrelevant. It is even more irrelevant when the difference is less than the weight of a half rack of beer that many of us often have in our packs when we hit the hills.

As you may have noticed, I haven't specified any brand names here. Perhaps this thread would be better suited for the General Snowmobiling section, but this topic seems to be prevalent in this section, so that's where I'm posting it.

Ride on.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Weight is a number, and not the whole story, but....

Weight is also a factor in overall sled feel. If you climb on the sled and like the way it rides it's weight is a factor that plays into how it rides and your overall decision of the sled. Arguing about the weight of a sled is pointless, but reducing it and strategically placing it throughout the sled is VERY important.

Point being the new viper is heavier than the cat m8. But having seat time on both I personally feel the the viper handles better because they paid more attention to suspension calibration and balance to try hide the weigh. On an opposite note, my '13 Polaris is 14 lbs lighter than my '11 and it is a noticeable improvement.

So in short, I matters a LOT weither the number is discussed or not, but it is not the only factor.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK

Weight is also a factor in overall sled feel. If you climb on the sled and like the way it rides it's weight is a factor that plays into how it rides and your overall decision of the sled. Arguing about the weight of a sled is pointless, but reducing it and strategically placing it throughout the sled is VERY important.

Point being the new viper is heavier than the cat m8. But having seat time on both I personally feel the the viper handles better because they paid more attention to suspension calibration and balance to try hide the weigh. On an opposite note, my '13 Polaris is 14 lbs lighter than my '11 and it is a noticeable improvement.

So in short, I matters a LOT weither the number is discussed or not, but it is not the only factor.

It surprises me that a 14 pound difference between an 11 and 13 Pro would be that noticeable.

I guess a lot of it would depend on where the weight is. If I put 14 pounds on my handlebars, I may notice it. If I put on my skid, probably not at all. That's why I don't put a lot of credence in the snow weight in your skid argument. It may be legit and the design of your skid may hold less snow, but I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference if they didn't know it was there.

I
Nov 26, 2007
I think weight matters but agree it isn't the only thing that does. I much prefer an apex to a nytro despite it weighing significantly more. I prefer a lightened apex to a stock one. Some of the things listed such as power and flotation are hindered by weight, so in that respect it matters equally as those elements.

End of the day if you're happy with your sled that's all that matters, you're the one riding it. I know guys who have more fun on 98 670s than guys on brand new sleds.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK

You know what would be interesting? To have a blind test with an additional 20 pounds of weight added to a sled.

Have two weights (one 20 pounds and one dummy) and put them on the same sled. That way everything is sure to be identical. Then let the riders determine which one has the additional weight. Let them use their own sled so they can't claim that they were thrown off by riding an unfamiliar sled and that's why they guessed wrong.

I may be wrong, but if the weight was down low, I doubt most riders would be able to tell the difference. I suspect it would go the way of the Coke/Pepsi taste tests. Most people can't tell the difference, but are sure that one or the other tastes better because that's the brand they like.

I may do that this winter. It would be interesting to see who can tell the difference. It would also be a good because it would take brand loyalty and preconceptions out of the equation. Two weights, both identical in appearance placed on a sled in the same location and the rider has to tell you which one is heavier.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
20 dont matter but 80 is huge like having an extra rider on board. Jmo.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
20 dont matter but 80 is huge like having an extra rider on board. Jmo.

That was a response to m1kflyingtiger's statement that there was a noticeable difference in 14 pounds of weight difference between his 2011 and 2013 Pros. I was thinking if 14 pounds was noticeable, then 20 pounds should be even more so.

If 20 pounds doesn't matter, how much does? You say 80, but m1kflyingtiger seems to think that 14 may make a difference. I have heard guys argue over 5 pounds before. And more often than not, they have never weighed their sleds and are speculating based on what they have gathered from the web, manufacture's marketing or how much a mod was supposed to reduce the weight of the sled.

I still think it would be interesting to see who can tell the difference of weight added to their sleds. Maybe go to progressively higher weights until they are able to discern which is heavier.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
That was a response to m1kflyingtiger's statement that there was a noticeable difference in 14 pounds of weight difference between his 2011 and 2013 Pros. I was thinking if 14 pounds was noticeable, then 20 pounds should be even more so.

If 20 pounds doesn't matter, how much does? You say 80, but m1kflyingtiger seems to think that 14 may make a difference. I have heard guys argue over 5 pounds before. And more often than not, they have never weighed their sleds and are speculating based on what they have gathered from the web, manufacture's marketing or how much a mod was supposed to reduce the weight of the sled.

I still think it would be interesting to see who can tell the difference of weight added to their sleds. Maybe go to progressively higher weights until they are able to discern which is heavier.

I know I cannot tell whether my fuel tank is full or empty by the ride, and do not know anyone that can.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If your out of the seat throwing your sled around a 1/2 tank of fuel is noticeably lighter than a full tank of fuel...I honestly don't know how you wouldn't notice unless your a trail rider.

And yes weight does matter

DPG

Last edited:
M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Weight isn't that big of deal in my mind. Power to weight is more important to me. I have to agree, I am not half way thru the day saying, "oh I am down to half a tank this thing is so much lighter" you don't notice it in a days ride. my sled is heavy it is harder to ride than a lot of new ones but, I think it is more weight balance the actual weight. They are all heavy when they are stuck in 4ft of fresh snow, I have pulled on a lt of skis it they are all heavy at that point.

If the manufactures built the perfect sled no aftermarket company could stay in business. So that isn't gonna happen, IMO. Ride what you like, what fits you. If you don't like the fact Yamaha's are heavy don't buy one. I personally like the Cat chassie over the Pro. I like my Apex better that any 2stroke & I have rode a lot of 2 strokes. There is no replacement for HP as far as I am concerned, If you want the HP, man up & ride a heavy sled. If you wanna ride a light weight sled with no power buy a 2 stroke. Either way you ain't gonna hear me b*tching about what "YOU" ride.

I will tow you out all the same.... LOL :face-icon-small-ton

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
My buddy never noticed..........

He never noticed when I loaded his sled everywhere possible with bags of lead shot, about fifty pounds. I'll take it out before spring and see if he gets it then.

Owen

M
Jan 14, 2004
When most of my fuel is gone at the end of the day, absolutely I can feel the difference, there's no queston. Its for this reason I always carry my spare fuel on the back as opposed to that stupid trail tank that people seem to love so much, at least that way I can leave it at the cabin.

M5

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Politically correct answer.

If you can`t feel a difference in handling or feel of your sled with a full tank compared to empty, then weight does not matter for you.
If you can, then it does.

Pretty simple-inexpensive test eh. Try it before you spend money on batteries, cans, arms, etc.
You may be surprised,,, or not lol.

Premium Features