• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on the new 2014 YamaCat...

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--As far as quality, fit, and finish goes, I believe Yamaha will rub off on Cat and Cat will be a better product.

--With the same workers and assembly lines putting together both brand sleds, QC should be relatively equal. Cat would get a bad rap for making high quality Yamahas and lower quality Cats.

--Cost between brands should be comparable relative to options and upgrades using same engines and chassis. The blue guys will buy blue and the green guys will buy green. Others will ride blue but never green, still others will ride green but never blue. The other OEM's will need to step up their game now to maintain or increase market share.

--35lbs lighter triple with better balance and center of gravity -- bring it on -- its going to be a seller

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Yamaha has lost interest in manufacturing snowmobiles, no other reason makes business since to bag there own design and pay Cat to use there chassis and put Yamaha stickers on it. This move is more telling for Cat then Yamaha....:face-icon-small-sad Probably not the best of times for Cat right now.

Yamaha doesn't care about sleds and Cat needs cash flow.

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Thats a part of the word. But the word goes a bit deeper. How its making the power, and how the chassis is designed is a bit more intriguing. 12 months from now will be real telling as to how serious Yamaha is going to get going forward.
5 models to release in the next 5 years. 4 more to go.

Turbo max or supermax depending on which option you get HUH HUH????:lol:

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Is the new 650 or the 850 a triple with the crossplane enginering?? That torque read was unreal. The torque on the 675 or the 1100 would be staggering, perhaps eliminating the need for a turbo or blower. You take 35 lbs off the nytro especially where it count the front end, add a great stiff chassie and we would be lining up for that. Just might get that afterall After all the reading I am changing my mind. I love the looks of the viper,let that come in at 550 lbs ready to ride with a better chassie and I for one am IN:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I will happily pay another grand or two for a sled if its a REAL Yamaha, trick and new, built in Japan....and that will actually last more than a few years. the quality standards are night and day different, no comparison. the guys that are thinking this yamacat is cool have probably never owned a yamaha or if they have....never taken the time to look at it close enough to appreciate the quality.

Yamaha would never use self tapping screws all over the sled that strip out after a few removals. the list goes on....just take a good hard look at this new sled built by arctic cat, and compare all the components, fasteners, design to a real yamaha. There is no comparison.

I was ready to buy a new yamaha if it was real, but there is no way i am buying one of these things.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Let us NOT forget.
What we are looking at are ONE or TWO HAND BUILT ONE-OF-A-KIND SLEDS.

These are NOT production.

Its a safe bet we will see changes as these move into production this summer.

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
It's funny how the it's all about weight ! And Yamaha just ignores what the people want ?? Why ?
Look at Polaris there sleds are junk ! They just fall apart .. But people buy them anyway all that matters is weight !

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Progress is 2 people (companies) sharing good ideas and coming up with something great instead of 2 competing and not sharing and using each others failures to judge each other. Good chassis + Good engine = good sled
Sorry to say but our mountain segment is a small piece of the overall snowmobile pie although it is the most competitive. Ideas developed in the trail market are tested there before they hit the mountains. The Polaris was a 2010 Rush before it was a Pro, the M sled was a Firecat first for 2 yrs, the Proclimb was a race chassis for 4 yrs , the first Rev was a short track. No offence but it these guys listened to what we wanted without testing properly they would be out of business. Some ideas that hit the trail market never made the mountain segment. Thanks to real world failures in an easier environment. Would you want a new untested but ultracool sled built how you think it should be only to find yourself 3 ridges back looking for cell service and a helicopter. It happens but it would be worse without proper testing in the real world.

The point you make here, is why every single sled i have ever owned has been tore down to its bare bones and rebuilt the way it should have been to be a mountain sled in the first place. We have NEVER gotten a TRUE mountain sled, born and bred to ride the mountains. Ever. Its always based on this trail sled or that with a few light weight parts, a less advanced rear suspension, and handlebar risers. IMO.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
I will happily pay another grand or two for a sled if its a REAL Yamaha, trick and new, built in Japan....and that will actually last more than a few years. the quality standards are night and day different, no comparison. the guys that are thinking this yamacat is cool have probably never owned a yamaha or if they have....never taken the time to look at it close enough to appreciate the quality.

Yamaha would never use self tapping screws all over the sled that strip out after a few removals. the list goes on....just take a good hard look at this new sled built by arctic cat, and compare all the components, fasteners, design to a real yamaha. There is no comparison.

I was ready to buy a new yamaha if it was real, but there is no way i am buying one of these things.

Um, yeah, that part in red...i have a diehard yammi friend who would beg to differ on that one. And on the quality of fit and finish overall the last few years. And he is a yammi fanboi.:face-icon-small-coo

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
wow..two manufactures kicked each other in the nuts....doo and poo will be liking this..

Maybe Yamaha will have to sell as many parts as Doo and Poo now...but I highly doubt that! It would take them years to gain that top spot:face-icon-small-dis

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Lot of bashers on here!!! I would be willing to bet this sled weighs @ least 55-70 lbs less than a stock Nytro!? Yes, everyone knows Yamaha is always a heavier sled then the other 3 but with it comes awesome quality and reliability. This is just the beginning for team blue. Yamaha has been testing 3 different motors for 3-4 years now that all rate over the 150 mark. One motor is pumping out 200+ Crossplane technology...amazing torque numbers!!! Will we see these in another future sled?...I'm thinking so. When? no clue! I don't necessarily agree with Yamaha's direction @ this point but no one can argue the fact that they know weight is an issue and they are trying to solve this dilemna. Let the sled have a chance...everyone said the same about the Apex and Nytro...add the boost and the view from the apex of the mountain always looks better than the valley below. Time will tell!?

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Um, yeah, that part in red...i have a diehard yammi friend who would beg to differ on that one. And on the quality of fit and finish overall the last few years. And he is a yammi fanboi.:face-icon-small-coo

Tell me where there are self tapping screws on a yamaha nytro? they are used to hold the lid on the plastic airbox and probably to hold the gauge in place....plastic parts with no stress. Arctic cat uses them on structural areas into aluminum and holding the chaincase together.....cheap and half-assed

Last edited:
M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Tell me where there are self tapping screws on a yamaha nytro? they are used to hold the lid on the plastic airbox and probably to hold the gauge in place....plastic parts with no stress. Arctic cat uses them on structural areas into aluminum and holding the chaincase together.....cheap and half-assed

Hey dont get me wrong, im not bashing yammi, they have damn good and reliable stuff. But, therre are many many things that all the manufacturers do the same that is half assed. How about the vector mountain? :face-icon-small-blu that one was kind of an embarrasment...reliable, sure, but come on now, a mountain sled it was not.

I would love to have a yammi 4 stroke engine in one of my sleds, but i dont have the coin to make one go like i would like.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I saw in one of the pics on the fuel cap it says 91 octane fuel recommended. On Nytros the recommended fuel is 87 octane, I wonder if there is a horsepower increase for the Viper due to the different engine management and exhaust systems?

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I saw in one of the pics on the fuel cap it says 91 octane fuel recommended. On Nytros the recommended fuel is 87 octane, I wonder if there is a horsepower increase for the Viper due to the different engine management and exhaust systems?

I would put money on that cap being the cat cap which all say 91 required. The pics on yamaha website are actually cats with yamaha panels. As you can see the exhaust flange through the side panel.

H

highmark289

Feb 11, 2008
columbia falls MT
probably cause 87 n 89 octane has ethanol and its bad for your engine... there is a ton of reports out saying that ethanol is causing premature wear on engines. 91 is better for your engine only cost like 2 bucks more a tank, its a no brainer

yamaha is getting dissed on pretty had on theyre own facebook page! its pretty sad. its a nice looking sled, but i excepted more out of a company like yami

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Yamaha has lost interest in manufacturing snowmobiles, no other reason makes business since to bag there own design and pay Cat to use there chassis and put Yamaha stickers on it. This move is more telling for Cat then Yamaha....:face-icon-small-sad Probably not the best of times for Cat right now.

Yamaha doesn't care about sleds and Cat needs cash flow.

Time will tell. . . I think once we see what cat comes with for 2014 we will see why this partnership happened. Also I think the cat release is why yamaha has not given an official statement on the deal they have with cat. Seems as though keep acting like this is a sled they designed totally ignoring the fact that they did indeed not. . . . Unless they actually did design it with cat up to 5 years ago? I know it is a conspiracy theory. . But I'm bored.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Put an 800 twin 2 stroke in and it would be a great sled. Hand warmers that work and clutches that dont explode and affordable belts. But guess we have to wait till 2015. All this waiting till next year is BS. I'll be too old to ride if I keep waiting till next year. So is what they are saying is don't buy a sled this year? I waited on Yamaha since 03 and have been let down every year. Ride Cat now and those are my only complaints.

Premium Features