• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FACTORY RACE SLED

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Just another sled...

Meh, just a Nytro with a different subframe & front end. I've seen the subframes and they are cool but we all know Yamaha will never put them into production. Buy an 08, drop some weight, add turbo, VE tunnel, good skid, and Skinz front end with good shocks and you've got pretty much the same sled.

Yep your right. Similar sleds can be built with similar components. Maybe the front end is carbon copy close to the old rev. The geo is way similar to a new PRO, and the spindles are tall almost like a Cat. ...The trick is getting it all to work under the weight of the Nytro. Yes, similar sleds can be built, ...we spent 2 days with Fox one on one perfecting valving and calibrating shock setups, not just with this sled, but the stockers as well. Making this rip off front susp work on these sleds has invoved ALOT of input from ALOT of inside techs, but similar sleds can be built.

Most Nytro builders bolting on turbos cannot resource the Yamaha superbike program to have the motor balanced and blueprinted among other things, but similar sleds can be built. The turbo setup is completely custom, and the fuel controler/program is 1 of 3 that exist. But your right, it is just another boosted Nytro.

Finally, why would anyone want to put together a 40000$ sled with the sole purpose of flying it up a junked out trench as fast as possible? This sled is not a stupifyingly(is that a word?) good mtn sled. It does ok in the steep 'n deep, but it was not BUILT to do that. Every component on this sled was put in place to make it trade punches with the 2 strokes on a closed course racetrack. ...maybe NOT just another Nytro,...well almost. Thanks for reading my thread.
:frog:
-Cable

B
Dec 5, 2010
Sleds look good bud, good luck over the course of the season. Hopefully some of this tech makes it over to the consumer side of things thats for sure. Its nice to see yamaha stepping up and sponsoring the hillclimb circuit for once, hopefully something positive comes from it since thats where they lack the most.

I will say any improvements over stock are great and look forward to hearing your reviews after a few races on the "new tech". All that being said though, all that new tech is yamaha catching up, not exceeding anyone. The subfame is nice, lighter, and has better geometry but is nowhere near "new technology". But hey, Ill take anything i can get at this point from the yamaha camp. At least they are finally making an effort and that for one is promising.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Great build Cable and good luck to you this season. The sled looks great and I'm sure it will perform outstanding. Tear em up!!!

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
All the HP in the world won't win you a hillclimb race if the chassis sucks. I'm glad you have a super high-tech motor, but the chassis is still REV era and like Boosted posted, they are playing catch up. It's frustrating from a consumer standpoint because we all know Yamaha could build one bad mountain/freeride sled of they actually tried.

I truly hope you can get through to Yamaha and push this technology to the consumer sleds. I'm as much of a die hard Yamaha fan as anyone else on here, but the chassis needs major refinements to make it competetive, not bolt on parts.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
It's a race sled,. It could be a chassis based off a mountain max or a freaking bravo as long as the chassis feels good to cable and he can get to the top faster than others,. Who is really the one playing catch up?

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
It's a race sled,. It could be a chassis based off a mountain max or a freaking bravo as long as the chassis feels good to cable and he can get to the top faster than others,. Who is really the one playing catch up?

Amen Dude. Cable tear it up. I do not see any of these haters signed up to race. :face-icon-small-sho

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
when do we get to see pics from inside the body?

also, what about the N/A sled???

Awesome pics again man!!!! Sled looks pretty cool!!

Anyone know what the race spec 2 stroke sleds weigh in at? Just curious what some comparison numbers are..

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I sure hope I can ride a nice blue sled once I can afford to start racing in the rmsha,. What happened to the rumours of rmsha coming to Canada?

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Smoker mod sleds wigh in from 485-505 depending on brand. The Tapio proclimb HCR's were right at 500lbs wet. My brother has his PRO mods weighing 490 wet. I will get some internal shots posted up Sunday, ...going off the grid till then. Stay tuned for race results and pics by Sunday eve.

Canada was too much of a logistical nightmare for the race to become reality. I was bummed to hear this , but hope someday it will happen.

Thanks again fellas!

-Cable

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Smoker mod sleds wigh in from 485-505 depending on brand. The Tapio proclimb HCR's were right at 500lbs wet. My brother has his PRO mods weighing 490 wet.
Wow, looks like only a 30 lb advantage from your brother? That isn't too bad.

What makes these sleds so heavy compared to stockers that weight much less?

T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
LBS

Wow, looks like only a 30 lb advantage from your brother? That isn't too bad.

What makes these sleds so heavy compared to stockers that weight much less?

EVERYTHING is beefed up and redundant for support and to help survive the abuse of racing. Add to that ISR mandated clutch and brake guards that fully encase these components in event of failure(coming apart at high speed), throw in afew hundred track screws/hardware ...and bingo! Also the intercooled turbo systems on the smokers are not light. We closed the gap a little with being able to get away from intercoolers. 30lbs is not a number we feel can't be overcome with other positives.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
EVERYTHING is beefed up and redundant for support and to help survive the abuse of racing.
Can you be more specific? Your front end a-arms look pretty light, and your tunnel looks light as well. What other parts are you talking about?

Also, why not just replace the parts after a crash instead of making them heavy?

Sorry, I don't know much about the brutality of the racing... Just that they look really cool!!!

Last edited:
T

throttlecable

Dec 13, 2009
Fruita, CO
Say you bend a rail or break a shock mount in 6 mod class. You still have runs in 7-8-and open mod class. Maybe you go up 16th in one class and lead off the next. There is very little time between runs to swap out parts or fix major failures. Even beefed up parts break and bend, and its common to be fixing or swapping out these items at the end of the day. Survival and failure rates play into the racing scene in a big way. Last year my brother grenaded 3 chaincases in 4 races, and it cost him alot of points and qualifying times. Race sleds are almost 180 degrees in the opposite direction of mtn sleds in terms of weight and durability.

(edit)- I guess what I'm saying is you cut weight where you can, and you add weight where you have to. Race sleds like mine are super expensive because many components are both stronger AND lighter. I have managed to bend and break some components already and we are talking practice, not racing. People are a little suprised to hear actual wet weights on certain sleds, but I blame that on overhyped dry weights from the manufactures. Kinda cool though that smoker mod sleds get heavier, and fourstrokes get lighter.

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
People are a little suprised to hear actual wet weights on certain sleds, but I blame that on overhyped dry weights from the manufactures. Kinda cool though that smoker mod sleds get heavier, and fourstrokes get lighter.
I am. Good stuff, now kick some real butt so that way Yamaha will let you release the specs and the info!!!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
#1 I am actually surprised that you could get the Nytro down to that weight while leaving enough beef for it to hold together during a race AND putting down 250+HP.

#2 Its great to hear about Yamaha putting that kind of R&D into your sled...I mean how many people can say that they had a factory superbike tuner go through your engine? That in itself is VERY cool!

#3 Good luck! I look forward to seeing some video of you laying the smack down on some 2 strokes.

Premium Features