• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heim Joint Failures on SKINZ Concept A-Arms

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
The lower control arm bolts are WEAK my nytro is down now because of it
Cant wait around for a small part like that, ordered the 3" forward ZBroz so I
Can get back up and running - awesome.

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership

I thought they mounted the same as the factory arms?

Did you get a lot of seat time with the skinz front end? Please let us know what you think of the zbroz vs skinz.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership

yes please explain as all the front ends inc z bros and skinz and stock use
the same stock lower bolts???????:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-con

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
So to be clear, your Eye bolt, the one that attaches from the end of the lower A-Arm to the spindle broke off just like mine? As seen in this picture...

DSC_0163.jpg

To clarify, my A-Arm is 100% unharmed. I haven't fixed it yet but I have a replacement eye bolt and I'm hoping it won't be too big of a pain to get it out without messing the threads up.

Last edited:

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Factory uses a ball joint built into the a arm.

Timbersled uses a set up similiar to this....what is skinz saying about weak parts?? We also think the gen 3 simmons seem to put extra pressure on the front end also....

I have one day on my new skinz front end and never hit anything...really like the way it handles. Havent rode since because we need snow and I dont like bangin off stuff:face-icon-small-sho

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
When my eye bolt broke I was crusing down the trail doing about 10-15 mph. I'm not sure what I hit but I felt it snag. After the collision my sled went 90* and my ski was sitting on top of my hood still attached by the upper a-arm and steering tie rod.

When I went back to take a look at what I hit I was expecting to find something big and obvious. What I found instead was a sage brush poking out of the snow. I have no idea if that is indeed what I hit but like I said that's all I could see. It's hard for me to believe that a 1/4" sage brush could sheer off a chromoly eye bolt in that fashion! Especially when every other sled in the group casually rolled over the top of it.

We also think the gen 3 simmons seem to put extra pressure on the front end also....

I've been thinking this may have contributed to the problem as well but I'm sure it can't take all of the credit.

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
That is why I'm putting the Zbroz front end on until they upgrade that cheap bolt.

You gonna sell the Zbroz kit then? Come on and get this guy the bolt!!! lol

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Sled handled great with the new front end, just don't trust the bolts at all now, and yes they are aware of the bolts being weak, there is another picture of a Nytro with the same busted off spindle -not in this section tho.

I'm not trashing, I love the idea.....
I have fired off a note to Skinz asking about this.
Will let you know what they have to say.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
When my eye bolt broke I was crusing down the trail doing about 10-15 mph. I'm not sure what I hit but I felt it snag. After the collision my sled went 90* and my ski was sitting on top of my hood still attached by the upper a-arm and steering tie rod.

When I went back to take a look at what I hit I was expecting to find something big and obvious. What I found instead was a sage brush poking out of the snow. I have no idea if that is indeed what I hit but like I said that's all I could see. It's hard for me to believe that a 1/4" sage brush could sheer off a chromoly eye bolt in that fashion! Especially when every other sled in the group casually rolled over the top of it.

So the Eye Bolt was just a clean BREAK.

No associated damage to the Spindle or A-Arm??

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
OK so that is two that have broken - how many guys are out on the snow that have miles on the a-arms without any issues?

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
So when you are saying eye bolt do you actually mean the rod end on the lower a arm? I hope that this does not end up being an issue. I wonder if Skinz is using the same ones that they used on the prototype units or different ends.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have had several conversations with Jeff Hawksworth from SKINZ tonight.

He asked me to share the following information.

They have had 4 reported failures of the Heim joint.

3 impact related, 1 non-impact spontaneous failure.

They have contacted the company that has manufactured the heim joints and asked for a metallurgical analysis to be done on the batch they bought. Thus far all the failures "Appear" to be in the screw in Heim Joint only and not in the A-Arms.

As of today, they are stocking an upgraded even stronger joint from a different company while the analysis takes place.

ANYONE WHO HAS A SET OF CONCEPT A-ARMS is welcome to send back the two lower arm Chrome Molly Heim Joints for free replacement with the new ones.

There have been no reported failures of the upper joints, which are not the same as the lowers.

Once they have the results of the metallurgical analysis done, then they will make a determination about what to do with all existing heim joins now in use by their customers.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So when you are saying eye bolt do you actually mean the rod end on the lower a arm? I hope that this does not end up being an issue. I wonder if Skinz is using the same ones that they used on the prototype units or different ends.

Jeff told me they are using the same as were run on the demo sleds all last winter.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Sounds like it was a problem with the batch, but how long till they find out what is going on. This doesn't sound like a fun thing to have happen in the back country. I wonder if you put a deposit down on the new ones if they will just send them out and wait for the old ones to get there and refund the deposit.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Here's what I found when I was building front ends for the Delta chassis. There are 2 problems. If you use a basic rod end ie: mild steel and you set the end all the way into the a-arm then tighten up the the jam nut the jam nut almost acts as a knife, it'll just cut the rod end off at the base and thats even using a 5/8" rod end. The second point is the rod ends need to be high deflection models meaning they need to rotate at least 19 degrees. We snapped a few before we figured it out. The rod ends need to be made out of Cro Mo as they are over twice as strong as well as being twice as expensive. Skins should have figured this out before going to market with this. They are lucky they haven't killed someone yet. Check out Aurora for top quality rod ends. I've seen cro mo rod ends at Summit racing as well but I don't have any experience with them, they may be offshore items.

M5

Premium Features