• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MCX or Impulse?

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
I am looking for advice for which turbo kit to use on a Nytro.
Want to stay around the 270-290HP range. Sled will have a 174x3 track under it.

I have it narrowed down to the MCX or the Impulse. Please give me your input on which direction you would chose and why. Oh ya, I plan on running no head shim and straight race gas.

This is going to be a second sled and will only get used on the really deep days and some spring rides. So I do not want to wrench or worry about spending the night before the ride getting ready, I just want to put it in the corner until the deep day comes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I think if you are planning to run 290 hp on stock compression you may want to try to find a spare motor? I would at least put in a head shim, or low compression pistons.

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
Please tell me what most have found to be the max boost you can run without a shim or pistons. I would think it should be more of a question of what octane fuel is available. I was planning on running VP Import which is 120+ octane. My thought process was if Impulses kit can go pump gas to 17lbs with a shim that I should be fine at 17lbs without a shim and high octane fuel.

S

SPOOLED

Dec 4, 2007
northern bc
go with the impulse kit forsure with no head shim mcx will not be mapped for it at all. i know that paul has a map that is specifically for stock compression and race fuel. and you will have a way easier time installing a 3" track under it.

D

DLUX

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie
Just out of curiosity, why did you rule out the alpine kit? i had a mcx and loved the gas and go ability but for tree riding it was a bit of a slug. now i am looking at building another and i think the alpine kit is the way i am going to go...

X
Nov 20, 2009
Bend, OR
I believe that the MCX and the Impulse have the fueling side more dialed in than the Alpine. Good info about the Impulse kit. I will be calling Impulse tomorrow to find out more about there mapping for no head shim.

D

DLUX

Nov 26, 2007
Grande Prairie
With NM's new fuel managment system i think the alpine kit will work really well, and if your looking to run big boost you may want to look into his set up because other than MCX he is the only one who adds extra injectors. impulse does not and you will run out of fuel. on another not i have heard of a few guys last year that had a pile of trouble with the impulse kits i know of one in particular that has never ran.

xtrememotorworks

Powersports Performance!
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Wa
www.xmrinc.com
After riding most the kits I think its pretty hard to beat the impulse kit, quick spool, quality parts, stand alone fuel injection and all the parts are there if you really want to twist up the boost. Octane is going to be the main factor on boost levels, give paul a call, super nice guy to deal with.

Willie

Here is one of our Nytro's in a IQR, rods, 9:5:1 pistons and 25lbs. Ran hard all season no problems!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiXsWZrUG6M

W

wpnyturbo

Oct 15, 2009
in my opinion the impulse is the way to go I ran mine last year and it was flawless awesome power and throttle response i am running a head shim though. as just about every thread you read most problems are from the intalls of all kits just my 2cents.

S

SPOOLED

Dec 4, 2007
northern bc
With NM's new fuel managment system i think the alpine kit will work really well, and if your looking to run big boost you may want to look into his set up because other than MCX he is the only one who adds extra injectors. impulse does not and you will run out of fuel. on another not i have heard of a few guys last year that had a pile of trouble with the impulse kits i know of one in particular that has never ran.

i agree that nm kit is a great upgrade for those who already have an alpine kit but sorry i dont think that shelling out the money for a new kit that needs an upgrade and welding on right from the start is just not that appealing. my impluse nytro ran perfect with no problems all year long. but nm's sds works great.

xtrememotorworks

Powersports Performance!
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sumner,Wa
www.xmrinc.com
Lots of good info here, its a real tough decision with so many good options out there!

Very true, alot of great kits out there and even a "slow" turbo is still more than most can handle! Anyone intrested we will be offer a killer deal on Impulse installs this year!

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
I would say Impulse out of the two you've suggested. But I gotta agree with what DLUX said....don't count out Alpine.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Just to clear up the information here. Impulse is the only standalone fuel system out there and the standalone system runs on 750 cc injectors. These are the largest available for the Nytro and you will not max them out without toasting a motor at 25 lbs of boost. The Impulse standalone is fuel managment system maps these injectors very well and there is never any fuel lacking to hit 18-19 lbs of boost which is all you need to climb shoots. Not bashing here just informing. Impulse does not need to add extra injectors.

What you need to consider when putting a turbo on a sled is who is going to put it on for you. If you think you can do it yourself without any past experience be prepared for a year of learning and issues. Find a seasoned installer. Pay the $1500-$2000 and have fun riding not wrenchin.

Don't forget customer support either. Paul is the best. Paul has gone above and beyond for me and many other guys on a regular basis. The way I look at it is I pay it forward. I respond to an average of 1-2 pm's a day about the Nytro and Pauls kits. This is my way of supporting Paul and his product just as he did for me and still does for me.

Paul is also always looking for an edge. He constantly upgrades and betters his product. Wait until December and what Paul has in store. What he is coming out with is going to change turbo sledding.

As for MCX I have heard good and bad. Every kit has it's issues but in my experience it usually goes back to install.

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
i have no personal experience with the impulse kit but have had friends running mcx for awhile, since u mentioned u wanted to leave in the corner till its needed i would say mcx with install by a well experienced dealer.

Every kit has it's issues but in my experience it usually goes back to install.

motley, when u say this are the issues from the install usually simple mistakes or is it lack of experince and technical knowledge? reason i ask this is I'm planning on boostin my apex with either the impulse or mcx race kit and i have full intentions of doing the install myself since i am a mechanic by trade and have been around turbo sleds for a few years, just never had one b4.

Last edited:

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Hey Rough,

There are a multitude of issues that can come up for someone with little mechanical training and even someone with lots of mechanical training that is not familiar with a Nytro or Apex. Things such as head bolt torque specs and sequence and head gasket prep to cam sprocket adjustment for timing. Small things like routing of cables (stock and turbo) when rebuilding the sled. When you turbo a sled you almost always stretch it out and add stronger drivers so making sure the thrush washers are put back in correctly in the chain case and knowing how to press on drivers and align them. Things like installing injectors and orienting them for maxium benefit. If you get a new tunnel like alot of guys do setting it up for the Impulse tank properly to avoid issues down the road. On the impuse kit making sure you place the coolant temp sensor in the exact place it belongs so that the fuel managment system can detect a proper temp at the correct time.

I could go on and on. I am just scratching the surface. If you have done one before or have access to a friend who has built one before you could do a decent job. My point of view is that if you are dumping $6000-$8000 into a kit, $2000 on a tunnel, a new track etc you will be into a Nytro or Apex for $20,000 plus. Don't skimp on the install for $1500-$2000. Work with an installer that has built alot of turbo sleds and is willing to go over the kit with you and show you what to look for should an issue arise like a boost leak.

Gl which ever way you decide to go.

Kevin

i have no personal experience with the impulse kit but have had friends running mcx for awhile, since u mentioned u wanted to leave in the corner till its needed i would say mcx with install by a well experienced dealer.

motley, when u say this are the issues from the install usually simple mistakes or is it lack of experince and technical knowledge? reason i ask this is I'm planning on boostin my apex with either the impulse or mcx race kit and i have full intentions of doing the install myself since i am a mechanic by trade and have been around turbo sleds for a few years, just never had one b4.

Premium Features