• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Everybody see this??!!

W

WAmtnsledr

Jul 12, 2009
That is why we need separate areas

great! you guys go do your thing in the wilderness, theres over 4 million acres of land that you wont see or hear a snowmobile in, that is what it is for, and we'll ride in our areas, problem solved!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Hopefully ALL sledders slow WAY down (like under 5 mph) when they come across skiers...and STOP to let dog sledders pass. The last thing we need is ANYONE getting hurt.
One thing that would help all involved is to always keep to the right when on roads. I see sledders and skiers not following basic trail etiquite (sp?) all the time. If everyone knows and follows the basics, there is little danger for anyone.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Good point. I know of no reports of skiers hurt by snowmobile rider. Nor do I know of jerks who stab at snowmobilers with a ski pole to actually cause an injury either...

Thanks.

Should I enlighten you to the jerk that stabbed my wife in the neck with a ski pole in 2002 about a mile from Haney Meadows?

She still has the scar and I still have the jacket with the hole in the collar if you don't believe me.

You wouldn't know about it because the sheriff on his snowmobile at Haney meadows said he would probably never be able to find the guy and if he did, figured the prosecuting attorney wouldn't pursue it.

W

WMC

Banned
Apr 27, 2010
Should I enlighten you to the jerk that stabbed my wife in the neck with a ski pole in 2002 about a mile from Haney Meadows?

She still has the scar and I still have the jacket with the hole in the collar if you don't believe me.

You wouldn't know about it because the sheriff on his snowmobile at Haney meadows said he would probably never be able to find the guy and if he did, figured the prosecuting attorney wouldn't pursue it.

Glad that your wife survived that, sorry to hear of it. That is serious criminal behavior, the person committing the assault should have been found, arrested, and prosecuted.

edit to add- The Hog Loppet is something that I , a backcountry skier, does not strongly support. It is quite a contrived ski-event that interferes with the legitimate use of that Road, that has been groomed all year with Sno Park funds. A few years ago the HL Organizers, locals that I know, just took over much of the Sno Park parking with their tents and firepits. As a result, I met with several USFS Officials and suggested that the HL tents be put out off of the parking (duh) and the suggestion was implemented. Can't say how it has been recently, I have not been there to see it. They also take the parking with overnight car parking, against the HL Agreement for no HL skiers parking at the Sno Park! The HL creates too much opportunity for conflict. IMO not managed appropriately, if USFS wants the event, for safety reasons snowmobiles should be rerouted. However, IMO the HL is not compatible with that area- taking over the groomed snowmobile route. But my view is unpopular.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
There is an old guy (he's horribly hunched over with osteoperosis) who stabbed my mother with a ski pole at Lolo Pass, Montana about 1997. He's never been gracious enough to share the road (multiple use roads) even when we slow down to a walking pace to go around him.

He's still there skiing and still has the same attitude and he is NOT a good representative for his sport. To the contrary, quite often I see skiers and sledders wave (mostly sledders though) as they encounter each other at Lolo Pass.

W

WMC

Banned
Apr 27, 2010
There is an old guy (he's horribly hunched over with osteoperosis) who stabbed my mother with a ski pole at Lolo Pass, Montana about 1997. He's never been gracious enough to share the road (multiple use roads) even when we slow down to a walking pace to go around him.

He's still there skiing and still has the same attitude and he is NOT a good representative for his sport. To the contrary, quite often I see skiers and sledders wave (mostly sledders though) as they encounter each other at Lolo Pass.

Courteous behavior is what I have experienced face-to-face from snowmobile riders. Perhaps that is why I keep trying to have a discussion here.

Sometimes snowmobile riders could slow down a bit. And I have not skied over and jumped in the face of Wilderness trespassers, I just call the authorities on my cell as I watch them. I do try to stay out of the way when on skis on a Road, and when riding a snowmobile. I try to hug the right on corners because some guys like to ride around corners hard and fast. I suppose snowmobile riders would be courteous to refrain from tracking the slope that we were on skiing first but my view is that they are not required to leave a slope alone, so I do not let myself get upset (I just advocate for more non-motorized areas). I have never been exposed to avalanche hazard and had a snowmobile jump in, but I would never get in that situation, when skiing avalanche terrain I would just leave an area that snowmobiles get on.

Skiers get very emotional about these conflicts, sometimes skiers get angry just about exhaust and noise. A lot of skiers just avoid some areas considered to be snowmobile riding areas.

IMO, some other areas aside from the few, small winter non-motorized areas would help immensely with some of these issues. Skiers and snowmobilers need areas away from shared corridors where they are not in conflict.

These discussions point to the motivation behind the Winter Wildlands Alliance Petition. That Petition will ultimately lead to more areas available to get away from snowmobiles. Ergo, snowmobilers and skiers should sit down now and work out some ideas about which are the best areas for each. This type of collaboration is desired by USFS Officials that we have met with. It seems that this type of collaboration would help snowmobile riders retain some important riding areas, and WMC perhaps could get some of what it is advocating- some additional non-motorized areas.

Last edited:
C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
Nice. Please try to expand your consideration and embrace the concept that there is a different view. WMC is here to illustrate a different view. Are you folks not curious beyond just calling names like "crazy" etc? Why would a significant Organization that is funded by significant numbers of folks, Forest users, bring this Petition? Well, I am here discussing the views behind it. I really can't understand why you do not agree with much of what I say- like you do not in reverse understand much of what I say- but you have your views so I need to respect that. I try to find understanding through discussion.

The talk of courteous and considerate behavior is great. If that had been reality, and if Boundaries were respected in the past, we would not be having these discussions. I wish that some skiers could have better attitudes toward snowmobiles, I even sometimes get the stinkeye from skiers at times when I ride out to go skiing, even though I offer a tow. However, the reality is that many of us watch snowmobile riders track it up sometimes right where we were skiing first- and they may lawfully do that! It is fantastic that some folks are posting Wilderness Boundary signs, but the fact is that for many years there has been plenty of snowmobile riding right by bright orange Wilderness Boundary signs. It is interesting in these and other discussions that snowmobile riders talk of places such as Ingalls Lake and the Stuart range and appear to not realize that those areas are in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness! There are significant issues that cause this advocacy for winter non-motorized recreation.

And to all folks here who may not have followed all of the WMC discussions, the Wenatchee Mountains Coalition wants some areas of the Wenatchee Mountains crest designated as non-motorized. A few percent of the total, not the entire Forest, off limits to snowmobiles.

WMC believes that meeting to accomplish cooperation and compromise will get some of what we are after while offering some advantages for snowmobile interests in setting a precedent for established riding areas. When this Winter Wildlands Alliance Petition is in effect, all of the Forest will be negotiated in the manner that WMC is trying. Let's get started.

For one thing we do not need you here spouting your views, yours is one in the same as the petition. So it is a good time for your to get off here and back to your post. We do not wont to hear over and over again what is in the petition we know what is there and we are going to fight it tooth and nail. so go some where else to spout your view.:hurt:

W

WMC

Banned
Apr 27, 2010
For one thing we do not need you here spouting your views, yours is one in the same as the petition. So it is a good time for your to get off here and back to your post. We do not wont to hear over and over again what is in the petition we know what is there and we are going to fight it tooth and nail. so go some where else to spout your view.:hurt:

I am offering insight as a snowmobile rider who rides out for ski tours. Not everyone who wants consideration of non-motorized designation is all of those names and labels normally used. Asking for management is not asking for a ban on snowmobiles, but the Petition will have a huge effect. IMO the less snowmobile riders get involved to understand and adapt to what is coming, the more they will be left out. Just being in opposition, and louder opposition, may not help in the end- you may unite and mobilize the uninvolved and much larger-number non-motorized folks. WMC wants additional non-motorized areas designated thus the discussion, trying to get skiers to work with snowmobile riders instead of just always both sides in total opposition.

Thank you.

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
I am offering insight as a snowmobile rider who rides out for ski tours. Not everyone who wants consideration of non-motorized designation is all of those names and labels normally used. Asking for management is not asking for a ban on snowmobiles, but the Petition will have a huge effect. IMO the less snowmobile riders get involved to understand and adapt to what is coming, the more they will be left out. Just being in opposition, and louder opposition, may not help in the end- you may unite and mobilize the uninvolved and much larger-number non-motorized folks. WMC wants additional non-motorized areas designated thus the discussion, trying to get skiers to work with snowmobile riders instead of just always both sides in total opposition.

Thank you.

Then ride to the wilderness and Ski and leave us alone.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
WMC says: So even though there is so much room, folks here cannot consider allowing some non-motorized areas?

Are you kidding me?
How much Wilderness Areas do you need before it's enough. People like you come on here and act like there are NO areas for non-motorized use. I do believe the count is over 4 million acres. This is exactly why we say NO and will continue to say NO when you people ask for more land because it's never enough. Look at Montana, we have more areas than are non-motorized then ever before and if you lived here you would also notice how much those small towns are hurting since the people that used to visit don't anymore because they cannot access the land.
When will it be enough?
When all OHV's are banned from public land because that is exactly how all of us feel your intentions are so why would we COMPROMISE with you, compromise is about both parties satisfied with an outcome and that never happens on our side.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Better/easier access for skiers to existing "sled free" (Wilderness) areas would be something that sledders would endorse.
I have no idea what some good launch points would be for skiers. WMC, what is your opinion? Are there existing roads that could be plowed that would give good/easy access for skiers? Would there be a need for a parking lot in these areas? Would this be an option that would satisfy alot of BC skiers vs closing existing shared use areas?...it would definatly give them more choice on WHERE they can ski.
It just seems with the amount of land already set aside for this, there must be a very simple, non-controversial and inexpensive solution.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
wtf? I can't see the last messages? I thought these were unlimited?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
right after you make a clutch kit for my nytro... lol

Premium Features