• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Four Stroke Solutions LLC "Jacobson roll-over oil valve kit"??

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Anyone using one of these?
Should I be considering this for my new Yamihas ??

http://fourstrokesolutionsllc.com/
Four Stroke Solutions LLC is a company located in Burlington Wa. Our first product the Jacobson roll-over oil valve kit, is designed to prevent engine oil loss .During a roll over event of a four stroke powered snowmobile or ATV.

Modern four stroke engines are light, powerful, and fuel efficient. They do have one draw back however, when compared to a two stroke engine. If a four stroke powered snowmobile or ATV is rolled or over-turned. Engine oil can leak out of the oil tank (dry sump engines) or crankcase (wet sump engines).

The engine dry sump oil tank and crankcase have to be vented for proper oiling system function. There is a breather vent hose at the top of the oil tank. The breather hose is there vent any positive or negative pressure build up that can occur during normal engine operation. It is through this hose that the engine oil can leak out of when the snowmobile or ATV is rolled. If the engine is still running while the machine is on it's side, oil can leak out even faster!

When a rider rolls his/her snowmobile or ATV, its desirable to have two things happen. First the engine needs to be shut down as soon as possible. For safety concerns as well as to prevent the running engine from forcing oil out of the breather hose. Second there needs to be a method of closing the vent. To prevent oil from "gravity draining" out through the breather hose.

The Jacobson roll-over oil valve system from Four Stroke Solutions LLC accomplishes both of these goals concurrently! A special dual control tether switch, both stops the engine and closes the vent valve. Preventing oil from leaking out the breather vent line, all in one compact system!

Using the roll-over valve is easy! Simply connect the tether cord to the rider. When the machine is rolled and the tether cord is pulled. The engine is stopped (and while leaving the ignition key on) power is supplied to the valve, closing it and preventing oil loss. When the machine is returned to the upright position, simply plug the tether cord back in. This cuts power to the valve, allowing it to open and restores electrical power to the engine systems. So the rider can re-start the engine and continue riding.

The roll-over valve can also be used to help get a snowmobile un-stuck. For example, sometimes its easier to get a snowmobile un-stuck by rolling the sled on it's side and dragging it around. In this case a rider would turn the key on, pull the tether cord out and roll the sled on to it's side. Drag it around,flip it back upright, plug the tether back in and away you go!

I also use the roll-over valve while performing minor service work. For example when changing hyfax, or making suspension adjustments or inspections.

The Jacobson roll-over oil valve kit is US patent pending

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I believe MTN_VIPER on here is / is part of the company....

S

SNAFU

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary
I have one installed and it works perfectly. I initially was looking just for a tether to kill the engine, but came across this. No more worries about oil draining out when the sled is on its side. I also use it manually to close the valve if I want to roll the sled over to get it unstuck, for example. With the engine off, turn the key to the "run" position and pull the tether. The valve closes and a red LED blinks to notifiy you that the valve is active. The solenoid valve is "fail open" and requires power to close.

I am very happy with it.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
SNAFU pretty much said it best. I have one as well and so far love it. Its very nice knowing that my oil isn't draining all over the place. Plus it adds a tether which i think every sled should have anyways. Very nice kit imo

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Dang!
Three Sterling endorsements.
Thats mighty rate on SnoWest these days!;)

Looks like I will be picking up a pair of these!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Glad you guys like them!
I started tossing around ideas in my head a couple of years ago. When a buddy rolled his Phazer on it's side, and was hung up underneeth the sled. He couldn't reach the kill switch in time, so it pumped out approx 1 1/2 quarts of oil. No damage was done to sled and he didn't get hurt. However since no one had extra oil with them. We had to drain a little out each 4 stroke sled and add it to the Phazer, so the oil light would go out.
Everything worked out ok, but it caused quite a delay in riding time.

When I bought my Nytro, it became my engineering test sled. I installed a vacuum/pressure gauge, and a low pressure sensor/switch system. The gauge and sensor allowed me to monitor oil tank breather pressures under actual riding conditions. I used this information to make sure the valve would provide enough air flow during real world riding conditions.

The first design I came up with, used a switching relay to control the valve. It did not use a tether switch, instead the handle bar kill switch was method of control. To close the valve, the kill switch was pushed down with key on. A standard tether switch could have also been used.
The first design worked well, however the wiring curcuits were more complex. My main concern was the relay. Relays can and do fail, and I did not want a "stuck on" relay closing the valve while the engine was running.

Thats when I decided to eliminate the relay and look for another method of control.
By re-designing the system to use a multi-curcuit tether switch. I was able to eliminate the relay. The tether control has several advantages over the relay system. Including a "dead-man" style of switching, so that either engine will run and the valve will be off (open), or when the valve is switched on (closed) the engine is off. The other advantage is automatic operation when the rider wears the tether. No having to reach over and to hit the kill switch!

I use mine quite a bit! I'm good for laying the sled on it's side about every 3rd ride or so. Also its real handy for when I want to roll the sled on its side to get unstuck!

Last edited:
A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
great item!

This is an excellent item, I wouldn't own a Nytro without it! I don't have such a problem with my Apex but know several guys who've had quite a mess with their Nytro because in my opinion Yamaha dropped the engineering ball on this item! NO 4 stroke sled should be allowed to puke out oil like this no matter what happens....dangerous, wasteful, sloppy and many more reasons

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Dang!
Three Sterling endorsements.
Thats mighty rate on SnoWest these days!;)

Looks like I will be picking up a pair of these!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

And the Mods begin. :D:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

reed4rmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Clackamas, OR
sounds like a great idea, where do they mount and how much are they. Had a Phazer on it's side, the oil made a real mess.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And the Mods begin. :D:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;
DANG IT!
And I Swore I was going to ride it STOCK this season!!! :D

See what you have gone and done.

Corrupted a perfectly good new sled already!

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Had a standard kill tether and a relocation hose with a crank filter. Better than stock but still made a mess.

Installed the Jacobson valve and am pretty happy. Instructions are clear but I recommend going to the website since there are no pictures and I am a visual aid kind of guy!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I bought a kit this afternoon.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My kit arrived today.

otis

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
This is my personal favorite mod on my sled. Yamaha blew it big time on this one and leave it again to the innovators to make up for the crap engineering on this piece. I guess the test riders never got stuck and had to roll it down. If you don't have one get one.

Otis

S

seano700

Dec 10, 2007
Peace River, Ab
Roll over valve

I have this on my 2008 PL turbo Nytro. It works awsome, and installs in 1/2hour!! Only simple tools required and some drill bits (Uni-bit works well). I would recommend this product for those looking to cure the oil leaking issues during a tumble! Sean

Premium Features