• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Temporary closure of Reiter ORV trails and land loss to non motorized use.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Monroe/Cle Elum, WA
I found this article in the Everett Herald.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20...ans.for.Reiter.Foothills.upset.off-road.users

Temporary closure, most likely another bait and switch.
I'm sure it wont be long before that whole area is closed to ORV use. :mad:

I have been riding off road since 1984 and have seen the Sultan Basin, Cle Elum coal hills and surrounding trails, Marysville at 116th and a few smaller riding areas close, not leaving enough areas locally to ride. I hope Reiter doesn't follow suit.

Here's a quote from the article.

The state identified about 2,000 acres that they say are flat enough for use and don't threaten wildlife. Off-road vehicle users will get about half, while the other half will be reserved for hiking and other recreation.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Ive been riding and racing at Reiter for more than 35 years. ORV users are getting the shaft here. Its been downsized a few times, All the trails in the area where originally built by dirt bikers, The area offers some of the best technical riding in the state..There is no reopen date.. so you know what that means..
If all us motorized users of public land do not work together on land use issues, we will all be only riding and sledding from our memories..Please join in on the fight to keep all riding areas open!!!

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
Wow, that show's how much clout all these sponge heads that have banded together have. If you are not a member of SAWS and WSSA this should be a head's up.

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
Anyone here old enough to have ridden dirt bikes in what is now downtown Federal Way? Unload right in the parking lot of Safeway at 320th & Hwy 99. Ride to North Tacoma. Honda Hill, a few little lakes.........It's all shut down to riding now; stoplights, sub-divisions, office parks........Ah, the good ole days.

T
Feb 25, 2008
Ronald, WA
Sounds like some more worthless Government spending to me. The DNR can't even fund access to WA Snoparks this year. ...but yet they have money for this??? Was there ever a comment period on this issue? The DNR guy said something about Goldbar Nature trails having unfair direct access to the trails and that their property values reflect that...as in being worth more. Soooo they. are going to close all the good riding...people will sell their property at a loss...property taxes go down...cuz it's worthless now.....and the county gets less money. Gee...sounds like a great economy booster. I hope to hear that the ORV users have united and plan to fight this.....you right to ride is being taken away.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Love in/lost cause!

Ive been riding and racing at Reiter for more than 35 years. ORV users are getting the shaft here. Its been downsized a few times, All the trails in the area where originally built by dirt bikers, The area offers some of the best technical riding in the state..There is no reopen date.. so you know what that means..
If all us motorized users of public land do not work together on land use issues, we will all be only riding and sledding from our memories..Please join in on the fight to keep all riding areas open!!!

There had to be close to two hundred people up there today in the parking lots, more rock crawlers than in Moab, I think the Stumpjumper NMA cleanup weekend is not as busy. The sad fact is thats where most of them stayed.

We were all over the high country twenty miles of the tough stuff is all this sitter could take. Other than the gnarly hill climbs and the river runs through it pit rock trails we came across two, 2, dose, a pair of riders struggling past us during a snack stop.

Narrowing that place down to one fourth a piece of sandpaper will polish it off, the ignorant orv users will hand the enemy what they want on a platter. Forgot my handy cam, but their actually were a few pickups glazing some dohnuts in the first staging area, hope the crawlers like more dents in their Cummings, and Powerstrokes than their ARB's!:mad:

Why don't the County hold off and cash in on the real revenue generation going on there at about say 3AM. Put some deputies on dualsports and a backpack full of breathalyzers.

Two years ago was the last time I'd been on the lower good singletrack, those four wheeled things have been busy!:(

I'm guilty, ten years ago at a overnight bachelor party I knocked a hole from the inside of my Ford Ranger's front diff. near the sand hill. After repairing the dents and the and the gears I learned enough.

Working hard by making the tough stuff or picking up on clean up day will give you a whole lot of respect for the place.

Too bad we couldn't have opened our eyes to this coming, the trails at Foggy Dew near Winthrop/Twisp are soo spectacular only because the Coolie City Riders maintain the place like a bored retiree mows his lawn.

I'm tired.:)
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1867658&postcount=69

B

Berg570FE

Oct 21, 2009
Cle Elum Wa
I grew up in Sultan, learned to ride at Rieter in the early '80s. For YEARS this threat has existed. The NMA has helped save our a$$ more than once there. As someone mentioned above, NMA and BRC can be our loudest voices. I personally belong to both. Donate if u can.

Snowhawk, I ran into you up at Foggy Dew this year. Always wondered who maintained those trails so well . . . . FS work has always been minimal.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
NMA needs more limelight!

Instead of that cubby lobbyest I met at the Stradaline WORCS race and the old fellars at the small table upstairs at the International Motorcycle Show, they need to be seen/heard.

Entice folks by occuping a sponsored toy hauler/RV Town, at most races and poker runs or buying lower level front entrance floor space same size, just rotate riders representing them like Jonah Street, Jason Raines, Kevin Parks, or even some older talent like Paul Ostbow, lance Smail and Rich Binkley. Along with the member giving out info, they could help sell the movement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBGRSXRka4A&feature=related

Berg, I wondered about your group, all those sparkling machines and shiny Rockstar gear to match, your above resume' tells me the next time I see that 570 it will need new plastic. What about the others?

You know Ostbow's group, Big John, Tom Bowles etc., they live right down the street from you?

Last edited:
B

Berg570FE

Oct 21, 2009
Cle Elum Wa
Yes the Bling factor is high. After Horsehead and Deadman pass's we still looked that good:D However, I dumped it in Wickenburg two weeks later, so new plastics on the way!

I was introduced to Tom in El Crap's down in town just this year. Think I saw him in an E.W.D.R.A event before.

Ive got an Industry connection you may be interested in. Will PM you.

Premium Features