• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Turbo Kit And Why?

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Which Turbo kit to Buy

Gunner: Apex we haven't built anything for oil catch can and only run hose down to bottom of belly pan.

Nytro Turbo kits early season price runs out end of this month.
$500 deposit and we have in stock.
Kits are complete so no need to buy software/USB cable or AEM A/F gauge or boost gauge. Boost controller and pre filter, fuel pump, fuel regulator etc.
Rapid Bike 3 EFI with timing control and options for switch maps, accelerator pump, RPM limiter, and free maps if you ever want to upgrade to stage 3 etc.
Any questions please call 250-836-4422
www.powderlites.com

S
Nov 29, 2007
salmon arm
Also , does anyone have a picture of what the battery relocate that Alpine does , they relocate it to the left foot well , behind the secondary clutch .

we built them for the race sleds to put more goodies under the innercooler like nos we didn't think there would be a demand for them but we can build one for you call dean he can send you a pic or give you info on them 250-804-4334
as for the oil catch can on the apex we have found you do not need it i have had my apex shinny side down manny times and not much oil leeks out.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
O.K i see i now , i was talking to Dean the other day and he said that they have made up and sold a few , but did not have a picture , so i take it that they work good to contain the oil that sometimes come out of the crankcase vent when the sled is rolled upside down the right way .

Just plumb it into to one of the whiskey bottles that fall out of ProwlerK's trailer in the morning. You might not find on e small enough though. :p

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I say cost should be one of the larger issues. Lord knows I spend way to much money on this sport, but if someone wants to sell kits, cost will be the number one factor. If someone wants the best of the best, just to say they have the best of the best, well than options change.
I had an Apex with a boondocker system. Very few to any problems. It ran with the best of them, and climbed things many would not. But to hear all the talk, you would think they dont run.
Now I am not trying to sell Boondocker kits, my point is that, that kit cost me a hair over 4k new. Darn near half what some other kits cost. And I can guarantee you this, they dont run anywhere near 4k better than that sled did. So why spend the extra if you dont need it?

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Most kits should be trouble free by now.And all make enough power for 99 percent of the people,but there is that 1% that can afford and have the balls to take sleds where they werent meant to go.I dont think anyone is going to make a bargain price kit.If yah want all the goodies its going to cost you.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I gotta pretty good idea how much it's gonna cost me.
For me, I would rather buy parts, and make it how I want. However, since I cannot make some of the parts, I would rather buy the cheapest one I can find that still fills the need. Then add the parts I want.
I think a realist needs to assume that the average joe cannot afford a turbo kit. Make is so they can, and then have upgrade parts for those of us that want more, and you sell stuff.

Transporter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
When you upgrade parts it ends up costing you twice as much in the end.Ive got a box of headers,downpipes,turbo's,gauges,pistons etc all that have been taken off so I could upgrade.Now what do I do with that stuff,nobody wants it.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I say cost should be one of the larger issues. Lord knows I spend way to much money on this sport, but if someone wants to sell kits, cost will be the number one factor. If someone wants the best of the best, just to say they have the best of the best, well than options change.
I had an Apex with a boondocker system. Very few to any problems. It ran with the best of them, and climbed things many would not. But to hear all the talk, you would think they dont run.
Now I am not trying to sell Boondocker kits, my point is that, that kit cost me a hair over 4k new. Darn near half what some other kits cost. And I can guarantee you this, they dont run anywhere near 4k better than that sled did. So why spend the extra if you dont need it?

yeah thats a great point...just like anything else..when I built motors you could get a 99% sprintcar motor for about 20K...if you wanted the state of the art about 65,000.00 difference with equal drivers? maybe 1 sec a lap..just what do u want??

right now im in the same boat, done all I can to my apex mtx without boost, took off almost 100 lbs 174,ect ect...
Should I go nuts and drop[ another 15 grand into it or just do a mcx for 7500.00 or so or a mci 10 psi for 4600.00?? arghhhhhhhhh

lol or just buy a M1000 and have 2 sleds??? lol:confused::confused::confused:

R

ridehard1212

Nov 26, 2007
LANGLEY BC
i would like to see some lower boost/cost setup's... kinda like the 2 stroke PG turbos... would love a turbo kit that is easy to install/=less install $$$ (like 4 hrs) and that only cost 3800-4500... ya it will only run 8-10lbs with no shim...but its still over 200hp... Could the no shim at lower boost levels cause reliablity issues?? or why do none of the big names offer this??

Also BD offers a nytro turbo for around 4gs??????? cause im in then!!!!

I just do not need or really want 250+++ HP... If a nytro had 180 stock that would be enough... 200ish is perfect for everyday use.. IMO

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
When you upgrade parts it ends up costing you twice as much in the end.Ive got a box of headers,downpipes,turbo's,gauges,pistons etc all that have been taken off so I could upgrade.Now what do I do with that stuff,nobody wants it.

In my first post, I stated that if you want the best of the best, than options change. Upgrade to the parts you want when you order. Or order without those parts and upgrade them.
As far as parts. One mans junk is another mans treasure. Sell them.

R
Nov 26, 2007
I will be passing this all onto the guys at Alpine. There are a bunch of changes going on at Alpine to try and make there kit one of the best on the market, and keep it as cost effective as possible. I think everyone thinks that in order to have an Alpine kit you need a bunch of other stuff to go along with it. Not so! I have ridden alot of there sleds with just a turbo kit and a few goodies like driver's and gauges to keep them reliable, 14lbs on pump gas and they where awsome to go and play on. They can make them with a budget in mind or with all the bling you can throw at them. Plus there nytro kit has one of the biggest fuel tanks on the market if not the biggest. Keep the comments coming guys I am sure there is more then one turbo builder looking at this and it can make it better for all of us, if we let them know what we want in a kit. Cheers RIP

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
i would like to see some lower boost/cost setup's... kinda like the 2 stroke PG turbos... would love a turbo kit that is easy to install/=less install $$$ (like 4 hrs) and that only cost 3800-4500... ya it will only run 8-10lbs with no shim...but its still over 200hp... Could the no shim at lower boost levels cause reliablity issues?? or why do none of the big names offer this??

Also BD offers a nytro turbo for around 4gs??????? cause im in then!!!!

I just do not need or really want 250+++ HP... If a nytro had 180 stock that would be enough... 200ish is perfect for everyday use.. IMO

Ridehard ....check out the all new MCX 180 kit. $4400 cdn retail with 4-6 hours install. No head shim so throttle response is OEM like. Same 16T turbo so is possible to boost up in the future, and easy install. This will be perfect for the application you are after as well as many others.
Happy boosting
RS

http://www.mcxpressturbos.com/

B

Blaster

Dec 31, 2007
man you guys are hitting the nail on the head. I've got a 07 apex that I would love to turbo, but the turbo is more than the sleds worth. I could buy another one done and cost way less, but I already put a motor in this one stock as it blew up after I bought it. So now I''m a little tenative about buying sleds off here. If I found a turbo kit for 4 or 5 grand, I'd be have one in a heartbeat. Also reliability is huge for me as I do alot of crosscountry riding. Love the sled, just needs a little more juice. Need turbo.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Blaster, you can get a Mountain Performance superchager kit right now for your 4-5 grand. Was just in there yesterday. Talk to Heath if you call them.

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
thanks!! that does sound promising... not a huge fan of rear mounts... but i do like there reliabilty!!

I wouldn't be concerned about the lag on an MCX Nytro, it is virtually non existant compared to the Apex and RX1's. If 180 hp is what you want MCX 180 hp kit would be the one I would buy. Install and ride. ;) I wouldn't sell myself short with only 180 hp when you could have 250 hp or more on pump fuel.

Last edited:

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
No cracked header. EVER. If that was guaranteed no questions asked that'd be my pick.

M5

Same here. Waiting to see what Ulmer Racing comes up with since they bought out NW Turbo and their ductile iron manifold.

Premium Features