• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Zbros front end.....nothing fits? Did they send us the wrong kits?

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
We are making stronger tie rods tubes if anyone needs them.. I should have a few sets made up by this weekend. No more bent steering linkages.. plus we machine a slot to hold them with a wrench when tightening.

prototype69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Belgrade,MT
Any response from z on this?

Tuesday. Spoke with Z broz and they are supposed to send me stronger joints later this week. We will see. They are saying that the made the ball joint the weak link to prevent crossmembers from bieng bent. I think they are just too light. You can ride out on a bent crossmember but not a broken ball joint JMO. I will let you know if I get them.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Tuesday. Spoke with Z broz and they are supposed to send me stronger joints later this week. We will see. They are saying that the made the ball joint the weak link to prevent crossmembers from bieng bent. I think they are just too light. You can ride out on a bent crossmember but not a broken ball joint JMO. I will let you know if I get them.

Not sure how they can make them stronger? There is no room to fit a larger diameter in there, maybe the bolt part is a higher grade?

Interested to see what it looks like.

Take a picture when they show up, maybe try to weight the 2 and see if any difference?

Tues

Z

Zbroz Racing

Dec 19, 2007
Utah
www.zbrozracing.com
Upper ball joints FYI

Standard is on the left high strength on the right in the photo below.
We offer the same upper ball joints we have for 2 seasons now. They are a standard for us and we have used them on the Nytro kit for two seasons previously with very few bending. We also have stocked a small number of high strength chromoly joints.
Standard joints load rating 8,386lbs
High strength joint load is roughly 30% greater.
Strength is in the material they are the same other wise.

Price of high strength ball joints $32.50 each

I will put them on the website so people can also know they are there but we have not had very many bend in three years or selling the kit. The ball joint is easier to replace than the front clip as well.

photo.jpg

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
One thing to remember is that with metal, sometimes an increase in strength before bending reduces the elasticity of the metal. Instead of brending when approaching yield strength the metal might shear and break.

Something to consider..

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
One thing to remember is that with metal, sometimes an increase in strength before bending reduces the elasticity of the metal. Instead of brending when approaching yield strength the metal might shear and break.

Something to consider..

I agree........but bending from normal riding conditions. Maybe it was just a bad batch?

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Went out riding for two days in the deep. Both tie rods are bent from pulling the front end of the sled around when stuck. I'm a dealer and also have another customer with bend tie rods from the same thing this weekend... The travel stop bottoms and then the ski when pulled puts compression on the tie rods and they buckled. (I did not excessively yank the skis either) The tie rods are thin walled aluminum and way too light IMO.. Was about to order in a dozen sets but need to figure out these few problems first.

On a positive note, they rode amazing and definetely improved handling. Anyone with a Nytro should get these hands down.

ZBroz have been great to deal with so far and I'm sure they'll fix these issues. They are a stand up company and new products sometimes have bugs.

Checking my sled today and sure enough both tie rods are bent. zero rollovers, crashes, excessive pulls. I hope they will take care of this problem for a 1k$ kit.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Received and email today that basically said take a picture and they will replace them with the solid tubes.30% stronger.

See what happens.

Hmm we did make a switch to a solid tie rod to give it some more strength and if you have tube style let us know. 435 753 7774 we can warranty them if you send us some photos of your tube style. Solid 5/8 is going to be stronger by about 30%

Nathan Zollinger
nate@zbrozracing.com
www.zbrozracing.com

We never had problems in the first year and a half with this style but last season seen more guys bending them so we went to solid tie rods. We are also looking at a steering stop on the spindle but haven't come up with one we are happy with that could be added to all the kits on the market. We see the problem being the fact that the stock steering stop is on the post and depending on what post modifications guys are doing and there appears to be a lot it can hit that stop sooner or later. Then the spindle is not contacting the arm and the ski can get pulled and bend the tie rod. I would suggest keeping this in the back of your mind when pulling the sled around.
Thanks for the email

Nathan Zollinger
nate@zbrozracing.com
www.zbrozracing.com

Last edited:
Premium Features