• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lowrance HDS 5m gps?

K
When the snow doesnt accumulate on frozen bodies of water a side hobby of mine is bass fishing.I've got all Lowrance electronics on my boat,and they make a "chartplotter" only version (fancy word for GPS) called the HDS 5m. Ive seen a few people mount these in the dash of their Atv's and thought about mounting one on my M series for out west.one can be had off of ebay for around $380 bucks. Aybody else ever done this? Im not sure if it would work because theres no battery on the arctic cat. Ive used rino's and garmins for years and think this would be the hot ticket because you could see where you were going and hazards as you ride.unlike trying to squint at a tiny handheld mounted on a ram mount.

2dedge

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2011
I have been wondering the same thing we use them in Offroad race trucks

hiwayman

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Glencoe MN
Interesting idea.I have pretty much the same thing in the boat. All lowrance electronics. I have an HDS 5 rigged up for ice fishing and I have used an Expedition C on a ram mount on the dash of my sled. Also have the mapcreate topo software to load better background detail on a chip to put in whatever unit I'm using. I should try hanging the HDS on the ram mount. battery is not a big issue, just a pain in the A** without it. The batteries in the expedition don't last long in cold weather. My ice box has a gell cell battery and the last sled I owned had electric start and that was great.New sled doesn't have a battery but I just mounted a small gell cell under the hood and tied it into the wiring harness so it charges just like electric start battery. now GPS doesn't shut off every time I shut the sled off! I'll have to see if there's room for the HDS behind the windshield of the Pro!

Premium Features