• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Cover Modification on my 2017

G
Feb 18, 2016
Just bought a 2017 850. The previous owner had the updates done but never modified the clutch cover. What's the official word from SkiDoo on how to modify it?

I did a search but couldn't find a definitive answer. Some folks say to throw it away. Others say to just cut the small square down by the left foot well with insulation on it.

Thanks. Sorry to beat a dead horse.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Never touched my wifes 17 and no problems. I did put some optional venting on the muffler side panel but wouldn't recommend it. Jumped of a big boulder on a steep sidehill. Picked up more speed than I figured. Made it through but scrubbed some speed on a tree. I won't do the updates because it has been flawless. 900 miles on belt.

F
Mar 5, 2018
Coming to the 850 this year from Polaris, so newb sort of question here, but why even have the big arduous clutch cover? We never had them on the Polaris' and never had any issues... Does this thing do anything other than hold a spare and a couple tools?

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Take the belt guard off and have a peek at what sits in front of the guard I think that might answer your question?
I will never run without a belt guard but that's my opinion.

Z
Dec 28, 2014
Take the belt guard off and have a peek at what sits in front of the guard I think that might answer your question?
I will never run without a belt guard but that's my opinion.
I think he was speaking about that big plastic piece.. not the aluminium belt guard

F
Mar 5, 2018
I think he was speaking about that big plastic piece.. not the aluminium belt guard

Yeah pretty much. I mean it just seems so obtrusive and if its keeping so much heat in there why not remove it to help air flow? I understand there is a greater issue with causing heat, just curious if anybody runs without it, cause its a f" PITA to take in and out to check the belt and what not.

Premium Features