• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does the new 8 fiddy still come with....

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Skidoo has a tunnel mounted oil caddy they are very proud of !!

Made a video even !!! If you have Class leading Gas Milage and ultra low Oil consumption , WTF would your biggest accessories contradict those two selling points ???

There is actually a video where Doo talks about the oil caddy as being an accessory lots of people asked for that take multi day trips with their sleds (Touring riders) and wanted an easier way to bring oil with them instead of taking up valuable tunnel bag space. Which is why this also mounts to the top of the gas can they have. But for a lot of Snowesters this will be a hard concept to understand since its different then what they do with sleds.

You do realize there is an entire segment of snowmobiles called "short tracks" that out sell mtn sleds every year right? LOLOLOLOL

Being from Michigan I bet you already know that......

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Trail riding is a different sport sort of like mountain biking and road biking. Both have two wheels and are bicycles. After that, there are very few similarities in the equipment spec. I get bored really fast on a road bike. I suspect the same would be true for me on a trail sled. Nevertheless, as you pointed out, Snowest Forum riders are predominantly mountain riders and don't know what trail riders need/want for accessories. I don't even carry gas anymore because a full tank will give me as much riding as my 65 year old body can take. I am thankful for not having to pack gas like we used to have to do with the old carbureted sleds.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Skidoo has a tunnel mounted oil caddy they are very proud of !!

Made a video even !!! If you have Class leading Gas Milage and ultra low Oil consumption , WTF would your biggest accessories contradict those two selling points ???

Polaris just released a line of ear plugs so you don't have to listen to the belt squeal.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
That was a really stupid comment, but I'll reply anyways..

And the thread started with an intelligent question? I personally think the reply was humorous as well as fitting!! :)

The Polaris 850 hasn't even had a chance to prove itself yet, so I wouldn't be too confident in it yet.

That's obvious, time will tell, think positive... is the glass half full or half empty?
I personally think the jury is still out with your doo 850 so careful what you wish for. Although one thing you do have, is they sure doo sh!t and git.. Poo will have there hands full catching them long toboggan's in the deep and steep!! Time will tell.. :)

After all, there are still pro rides going around with the oil pump maxed out just to save the engines from exploding.

I think your grasping at straws, very few crank issues with the Pro's, most of the "exploding" engines were the earlier 800's (08-12) and even those were not oil related.. piston/cylinder skirts, lean etc., I'm sure you know all that.
But, even with cranked up oil pumps, they still don't use the oil that 850's are burning!! :)

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I think your grasping at straws, very few crank issues with the Pro's, most of the "exploding" engines were the earlier 800's (08-12) and even those were not oil related.. piston/cylinder skirts, lean etc., I'm sure you know all that.
But, even with cranked up oil pumps, they still don't use the oil that 850's are burning!! :)

Not grasping at straws at all.. Unlike you I am not biased towards one company or the other. I have had my share of Polaris snowmobiles. I've seen first hand what happens on Polaris as well as Ski-doo sleds.. I don't try to hide or sugar coat anything because one or the other is my favorite.

The purpose of my post is to point out the fact that Polaris has a brand new big bore engine on the way, and their past experience with such a thing is not good.. I honestly hope they hit a home run as I didn't feel the 800 axys had enough power for me.. and I'd probably be in line to buy a 850 in a couple years if it does well. Right now I will wait. By the way, my 850 is still in break in mode and not going through as much oil as some of the guys on here..

Last edited:

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Not grasping at straws at all.. Unlike you I am not biased towards one company or t be room the other. I have had my share of Polaris snowmobiles. I've seen first hand what happens on Polaris as well as Ski-doo sleds.. I don't try to hide or sugar coat anything because one or the other is my favorite.

The purpose of my post is to point out the fact that Polaris has a brand new big bore engine on the way, and their past experience with such a thing is not good.. I honestly hope they hit a home run as I didn't feel the 800 axys had enough power for me.. and I'd probably be in line to buy a 850 in a couple years if it does well. Right now I will wait. By the way, my 850 is still in break in mode and not going through as much oil as some of the guys on here..

Not biased at all, we have an awesome local poo dealer. If he switched to selling doo, I would be on one. Although I tried the XM doo, I didn't like the feel and just couldn't get used to the steering, it honestly felt similar to driving a tractor... but the new 850 is a different animal, I could ride one of them. I still think they have a few issues to sort out yet, but all brands go through growing pains. As you, I found the Axy to be underpowered as well, so I installed a turbo!! :)

Burning oil is the last thing I'm concerned with, I buy it by the drum.

The sled I'm waiting for to test ride is the Alpha, if it handles as easy as the few vids out make it look, there just might be room in my trailer for one of them!! :)

Enjoy the rest of your day!!! :)

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada

technically it's a stroker not a big bore

J
Mar 19, 2008
That was a really stupid comment, but I'll reply anyways..

The Polaris 850 hasn't even had a chance to prove itself yet, so I wouldn't be too confident in it yet.

After all, there are still pro rides going around with the oil pump maxed out just to save the engines from exploding.

Oh good. I've been waiting for days for you to reply to my comment...

BTW, you missed my point entirely.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Let’s see....broken ankles with screws and plates along with some kind of pain for the rest of your life or blown ACL’s that require 12-18 months of rehab?

Or

Carrying around extra oil?

I was one of the ACL victims with these foot wells. I’m reminded of it everytime I walk down stairs amongst many other things. And the knee still can’t take a ride it did prior.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
It was really easy to bend mine up. Don't see why people worry about this. We all modify our sleds. This is just a small thing that you need adjust to yourself.

What Dave said........

Remedying the foot well hoop is easy but you shouldn't have to is the point.

Kinda like walking out the door of a dealership after purchasing a new car & the salesman says in passing "Oh BTW, you'll probably want to install a set of seat belts. They aren't provided from the factory"

Seriously! WTF? :face-icon-small-sho:frusty:

Let’s see....broken ankles with screws and plates along with some kind of pain for the rest of your life or blown ACL’s that require 12-18 months of rehab?

Or

Carrying around extra oil?

I was one of the ACL victims with these foot wells. I’m reminded of it everytime I walk down stairs amongst many other things. And the knee still can’t take a ride it did prior.

Premium Features