• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New InReach

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Garmin Bought Delorme inReach Last year and the SE+ and Explore + are out. The SE + has all features like previous Explore in the new style. The Explore + is now loaded with Earthmate Maps. They are easy to use with the bigger screen and other goodies.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FVI-hwrk2E0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
How easy are these to use? I gave up on my garmin rhino and went back to my Magellan. My Magellan can do almost everything from one screen, unlike the rhino that is a maze of crap you never use. Plus the screen is 50% bigger. The Magellan doesn't have buddy tracker, which sucks, but you don't waste a half an hour trying to use it.

With all the solo riding you do it must be mandatory equipment!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I just bought an older InReachSE. I realize it doesn't have the GPS capabilities. I have a Garmin Rino as well that I ride with.

Dave, I'm curious if you think there is enough value in the newer model to go with them. I realize you get a better screen but I'm mostly using mine for texting communication. Thoughts?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I just bought an older InReachSE. I realize it doesn't have the GPS capabilities. I have a Garmin Rino as well that I ride with.

Dave, I'm curious if you think there is enough value in the newer model to go with them. I realize you get a better screen but I'm mostly using mine for texting communication. Thoughts?

The explore is a full gps now with 2 way text however if you have a highend gps from garmin or want the best from garmin it is still better to have the full gps and then have the se older model. The new units are sweet and easier to do stuff on, but if you have one and it works fro you then no need to upgrade, trade in program would never work, easy to sell your unit and upgrade though.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
How easy are these to use? I gave up on my garmin rhino and went back to my Magellan. My Magellan can do almost everything from one screen, unlike the rhino that is a maze of crap you never use. Plus the screen is 50% bigger. The Magellan doesn't have buddy tracker, which sucks, but you don't waste a half an hour trying to use it.

Cabelas had the rino on sale a few weeks ago so I grabbed on. Never used a radio or gps previously. I really like it and have already used it a couple times to find stuck buddies.

How old was your rino?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com

Yes mandatory for everything I do, anyone who goes out without one of these is irresponsible to their families that worry about them all day and if something happens. I did with nothing for a long time because the only thing (sat phone) was much too expensive and these did not exist. Now it is easy to have a one button send to 1-10 people that you are okay through the day. And very simple to operate.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I was really hoping that Garmin would add all the inreach features to a Garmin Rino and then a person could have one perfect device with them instead of two. The GPS side of the inreach is still lacking compared to the other Garmin GPS devices albeit its getting better in this version. However the Inreach part of this would be incredible to have for a safety measure.

After being introduced to the rhino side of things this past winter I won't give that up now. Way to handy to be able to see and talk to your group when playing in tree areas or out of site areas.

Still thinking about picking up the SE version or maybe even the older Inreach model. Just not sure I want to carry an Inreach, along with my phone (camera) and Rhino.

B
Feb 18, 2009
I was really hoping that Garmin would add all the inreach features to a Garmin Rino and then a person could have one perfect device with them instead of two. The GPS side of the inreach is still lacking compared to the other Garmin GPS devices albeit its getting better in this version. However the Inreach part of this would be incredible to have for a safety measure.

After being introduced to the rhino side of things this past winter I won't give that up now. Way to handy to be able to see and talk to your group when playing in tree areas or out of site areas.

Still thinking about picking up the SE version or maybe even the older Inreach model. Just not sure I want to carry an Inreach, along with my phone (camera) and Rhino.

I have both a Rino and InReach as they are both are priceless... I'm sure they will eventually combine the features for double the price...:)

B
Feb 18, 2009

All InReach units have GPS, would be completely pointless without. I think what you are likely referring too is no on screen mapping...

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have both a Rino and InReach as they are both are priceless... I'm sure they will eventually combine the features for double the price...:)

I'll be honest. I would gladly pay to have them both in the same unit.

But since their not a question. Since I don't want any of the GPS items in the Inreach is the older SE model the one to go with over spending the extra for the new Garmin SE model? Does it matter?

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
So ideally you guys would get a rhino with the ability to text people who aren't in the mountains? Is that the main selling point of the InReach? And the InReach has a monthly fee to it as well right?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
So ideally you guys would get a rhino with the ability to text people who aren't in the mountains? Is that the main selling point of the InReach? And the InReach has a monthly fee to it as well right?

The Inreach is also like a spot system too so you can reach out for help if needed but it has two way capability so you can actually be in contact with help.

You also have the ability to text with people anywhere too.

And yes it does have a monthly fee to it.

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
I have owned a spot connect and now and inreach. The inreach is a far superior product. I have never had a message not send on a inreach and it sends in a timely matter. On my spot it would take 20 minutes to send a message and only 1 out of 3 messages were received, even though it would say they were sent.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Premium Features