• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket "Alpha Skid"

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Do you suppose we will see an aftermarket Alpha suspension that will bolt into the G4 chassis by next year?

Ace

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
If you really want that skid in your ski doo. Purchase the kit from Arctic Cat that retrofits older sleds $ 3500 is the price there quoting in the Arctic Cat section. Includes track suspension and cat drivers.

Have avid build you some drivers and make longer crossshafts and bushings (ski doo tunnels are wider) drill 4 new holes And you should be set.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The track does. I think they said 17 degrees before you start to pull the downhill edge of the track off the floor.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
The Alpha rear doesn't pivot like t motion.

Ace

...yet it accomplishes the same thing.

The pivot point to allowing the track to flex is different. Will it ride different? Probably. But the concept is very similar...and I'd wager the results will be too.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
How many people really want 17 degrees of "no edge"? I guess I'm not sold on the idea just yet but time will tell.

I have no problem changing my opinion given positive reviews by riders I trust. :face-icon-small-win

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Alpha Cat

You know the cool thing about the new Alpha rear suspension is that you can buy the same snowmobile with the best factory rear skid on the market or try the Alpha-motion skid. Unlike skidoo who gives you no option until you get into the 137" tracks. Why doesn't ski-doo offer their C-motion rear scissor arm in the summit line up haha? Looking forward to March test out the Alpha & Harcore 19 cats. I am sure it will act 100% like t-motion & have already cautioned all my friends not to get sucked into Cats new hill climb sled for Rob & Dave. Can't wait to ride it & find out for sure if it's Cats new HCR or something new for the backcountry riders that will surprise us all?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I experimented with super flexible skids over the years and found them great in some conditions and totally unpredictable in others, have to give it to Doo in coming up with a good compromise on the Tmotion. Won't just jump on the hate or love band wagon here until I get to ride one.
Performance wise in pow it will no doubt be lighter and easier to spin the track. However with the track taking all of the load and bending forces it be interesting to see how long the track can handle that level of flex under power. Seen fibreglass rods delaminate before.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Look at the video of the way it cuts doughnuts. Changes direction... Looks wicked

I bet that I can't make it look anywhere near that good!

Those riders could make a M7 with an Attack 20 look like a competitive machine.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Imho It will work great in mountain riding conditions. I’ve been on doo
for 10 years now & I don’t really think the g4 is enough of an improvement to stay on doo with that said I rode a buddies 154sp and it felt longer than my xm and heavier on th hands, in that couple hrs I wasn’t really impressed. The 850 is buttery smooth but not much faster than 800etec. I like the idea of the sled handling more like a standup jetski. Would also love doo to offer a better shock package on summits. Was planning on ordering a g4 but I’m leaning towards the alpha!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Everyone has their likes and dislikes but I have never heard anyone say they feel longer than an xm. Everyone I know thinks they ride shorter. My one buddy think his 154 rides like his 146 xm. You had to ride a poorly running or poorly setup gen 4.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Everyone has their likes and dislikes but I have never heard anyone say they feel longer than an xm. Everyone I know thinks they ride shorter. My one buddy think his 154 rides like his 146 xm. You had to ride a poorly running or poorly setup gen 4.

Dang! It was an sp but I still didn’t like how it handled, i only gave it about an hour of seat time, theres no way it pow turned inside my xm setup with raptors, front arm up a couple holes, and 3” bar riser. The actual vehicle length is longer correct 154xm/154g4 is about 6” longer?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I don't think they are 6 but now that you mention it, I believe the gen 4 is a couple inches longer. For me they are night and day better than an xm. They are narrowed and lifted and go through the snow so much better. The track hooks up and goes. They don't trench like an xm. The fat boards and body were a huge hindrance. One of the biggest things they did for the 850 was moving the motor back 2.5 inches. They aren't so front biased and do what I call the ski doo stuff. If you don't like it then you don't like it but I think you should give it a few more hours before you make up your mind. My wife has a stock 17 and I have a boosted 18.
The alpha does look sweet. Would love to ride one.

Premium Features