• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy Vest question

B
Dec 3, 2003
Cashmere, WA
Hi all, looking at getting an avy vest for the season. Looked at the BCA and it feels too bulky for me, so I've been looking at the SnowPulse Vests. Local shop has the HighMark in stock, which I like, but from what I hear, that vest is not made anymore. Looked at Snowpulse site and they have the Spire which intrigues me. Anyone have experience with Snowpulse vests? The highmark vest still sounds good, but the Spire has the newest bag and material for the vest. Any input is great. Thanks.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
I have the spire vest. I love it. Had the Highmark pro backpack before the vest. Hands down like the vest better. No complaints yet. It’s slim and lite and really doesn’t feel like I’m wearing an avy bag at all.

B
Dec 3, 2003
Cashmere, WA
Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying the vest a few weeks ago when I was over in the Seattle area and a shop there had it in stock so I could try it on. Feels heavy once I loaded it up with stuff, so I'm hoping that it won't feel that heavy once I throw it on. Luckily it is smaller than the other Highmark Pro, so I had to be a little picky about what I put in there. If it was bigger, I would have probably loaded it up and made it too heavy, so I take look at the smaller Spire vest as a way to pair down how much I carry.

I have tried a few different shovels that I have and none fit very good. My HMK blade is too big. My Ortovox Kodiak fits weird and I'm not liking that. Bought a Mammut Alugator Guide and it fits weird as well. So I just placed an order for the Mammut Alugator Light and hoping this one does the trick.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
For a shovel I have the bca dozer. Fit is snug but good. Mine feels light when it’s on for sure. I only have the bare essentials in mine. Knife, fire starter, power bar, spare gloves, large first aid kit, probe, shovel, beacon. Maybe a couple more random items. The rest goes in my tunnel bag.

B
Dec 3, 2003
Cashmere, WA
Hopefully the Mammut Light will fit.

sounds like you pretty much have the same as I do in my pack. I do have a flashing beacon that is small, flashlight, firestarter, lighter, bivy sack, extra hat, gloves, facemask, probe, beacon, knife, foldable saw, and a few other odds and ends.

Premium Features