• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone ever fried a stator from over rev after blowing a belt?

M
Dec 27, 2008
kremtucky, co
So I was out riding today in about 2' of fresh. It was my second ride using an xs 817 belt. First time I tried one of these belts. I thought I had broken it in well enough. I checked the wear and did not see any threads coming out. I got about half an hour out of it and then it grenaded on me. I climbing a small hill at full throttle. My engine over reved big time! Then it just died. It wouldn't restart after that.Compression felt good pulling on the rope. I pulled the plugs. They looked ok. I grounded a spark plug and had a friend pull the rope. No spark. Not sure if im getting fuel either. My bd box doesnt even try to come on while pulling on the rope. I think my stator or regulator may have gotten fried but im not sure. Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Never heard of that, I think the out put is maxed at like 4000 rpms. From stator corp he said that heat is what take them out. When you over rev that much getting you crank out of phase is usually the worst that can happen when blowing a belt like you did. Maybe the belt cliped something when it grenaded.

J
Nov 26, 2007
Cache Valley, Utah
The service manual is helpful for trouble shooting. I have the 2007 service manual I could email it to you if want it. Send me a PM. Its got a ton of information. It walks you through testing your stator. They are $10 on some websites. I got it free somewhere. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Premium Features