• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about ordering a new Enclosed Sled Trailer...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, I am considering buying a 4th sled this year, which would render my current 3 sled trailer obsolete. The current trailer is a cargo trailer I converted over for sled duty. Never owned a dedicated purpose built sled trailer. But I have seen several of the different manufacturer's at our SnowShows for the last few years and am now considering ordering a custom built trailer from Mirage.

Looking for Comments and Input from those who have blazed this trail before me!:face-icon-small-hap I would rather NOT make any avoidable mistakes..

What I need is a solid long term 4 place trailer that will hold 4 mountain sleds, and could hold 5 once in a while when we make a trip to Canada.

Mirage seems to make a solid trailer that doesn't weigh a bazillion pounds and won't require an F-450 Turbo Diesel to pull!

This trailer will get used every week all winter long, so its going to see some miles on it.

It needs a fair assortment of "creature comforts" as I often have ladies riding with us, and just as frequently have "Never-Evers" along for their very first Snowmobiling experience.

AND..
It has to perform DOUBLE-DUTY in the summer hauling our Quads and Razors out to the dunes!

What do you guys suggest???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is what caught my eye so far..
Their "Extreme Sport" looks like it would pull double duty with the Razors and tow a bit better with it's lower ride height.

129edba0-0582-42b3-e54d-a16166533d90.jpg

dc8af11d-2a2e-46f6-97dd-4ff1987e22ef.jpg

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
And just from a PURE aesthetic standpoint, I LOVE the colored inside trim they offer. May not provide any more functionality, but dang it looks SWEET! (and coming from a guy who used to build custom speed boats, LOOKS COUNT!:face-icon-small-hap)

8abf00e2-b3c7-4a3c-b93b-6636b174c028.jpg

b69340aa-ccd3-4226-b84a-ec4c7e22e48b.jpg

4d0d3a5b-9fe9-4773-8dd2-ec49865c59da.jpg

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Chris, stop by Action Motor, my trailer is across the street in their compound. It weighs about 300# more than the X-box I had but it's a true 4 place trailer. I have added some stuff to mine since getting it.

Mine is the PES 101x22 6.5(22' box with a 5' or so V) has the "boondocker pkg" and the "extreme weather pkg". Lots of other options available if you so choose.

http://www.polaris-trailers.com/downloads/PolarisBrochure2013_e.pdf

Mine was made in the newly opened Mission trailer plant in Missoula, MT. http://www.missiontrailers.com/ http://www.missiontrailers.com/downloads/MissionSnow2013_e.pdf
If you don't want Polaris on it have them order the "Mission" brand, which is identical - made at the same MT facility. The Mission trailer would be the MES 101x22 6.5.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There is a bit of a ways between THINKING about and PAYING FOR...

I am not even sure what to get yet.

How about HOW LONG should this beast be??

What the magic size?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID

What the magic size?

FYI, My trailer is 28' 3" OAL, base model dry weight is 2240# compared to my X-box at 1960#.

Last edited:
B

blindpark

Jan 27, 2010
I too have been looking for trailers! Thanks for the tips. What would the advantage be with a gooseneck?

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID

What the magic size?

We load 5 sled occasionally in my buddies 22 footer. They are all 153-163 tracks. We pull the front two in front ways and then the last three go in backwards.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The mirage looks nice. I had a buddy that had one of the first ones and I didn't think it held up very well. I'm sure they have fixed the issues by now.

I just bought a Burandt edition trails west, bumper pull, snow check edition and it is by far the nicest trailer I've seen. It has all the thing they have in the gooseneck and a few extras you get with the snow check edition. I didn't realize the track melt was in the bumper pull.
I swore that the next trailer I got was going to be aluminum framed because the steel ones look so ratty in a few years but they diamond plated the frame where it takes the worst beating so that will solve that problem.
I would not buy a trailer without at least giving it a look.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Those all look like short tracks. I wouldn't buy a 7' wide trailer. So much nicer to pull them in and out in an 8' wide trailer
Agreed.
I just through that was a COOL structural photo to see how the sleds fit inside the trailer.
8.5ft wide for me !!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, is there a general rule of thumb to use in calculating the number of sleds per foot of trailer in a V nose?

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Christopher,

I had a trailer built by Double R in Nampa, ID last year. It's 30' total length with a 24' box and a 6' v-nose; 8'6" wide.

I can fit 5 163" sleds in this trailer easily and it isn't even that tight...load from the front and drive out the rear.

Just some information,

Ryan

Premium Features