• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ringing Noise 2012 RMK PRO 800

R
Mar 21, 2013
Up until today i have had no complaints or problems with my RMK. But about 1 hour in to our day i started hearing a ringing sound between 4500-5300 RPMs and didnt like the sound of it so headed back and only got worse as i rode back and the ringing would be between 4200-6000 RPMs by the time i got back. Shes only about 600 miles young?

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
chasing something similar on my 13 pro. Sounds like a washer spinning on a loose bolt, been there for a while now mostly at cruising speeds at moderate throttle position. I'll be working on it tomorrow and will look for the source.

Roadbuilder

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ringing Noise

I have the same noise, so far I've put silicone on exhaust can springs, removed heat shield from battery. I have electric start, next I'm going to try the pull starter rope, it vibrates bad a low RPM, could be in the pull starter dogs.

If someone finds it keep us posted.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Interesting ...

I have noticed the noise also, its definitely from the clutch side. Seems to be something loose somewhere, but I can't find it... Sled runs fantastic and the noise doesn't seem to effect the performance at all.. I'm gonna have my dealer check it over... It could be the secondary shims dancing in there, never heard it on any other sleds??

G

Grizzly Mtn

Jan 14, 2009
Central Oregon
RatchetRider530 said:
Up until today i have had no complaints or problems with my RMK. But about 1 hour in to our day i started hearing a ringing sound between 4500-5300 RPMs and didnt like the sound of it so headed back and only got worse as i rode back and the ringing would be between 4200-6000 RPMs by the time i got back. Shes only about 600 miles young?

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

G

Grizzly Mtn

Jan 14, 2009
Central Oregon
Grizzly Mtn said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by RatchetRider530

I had this happen there is a nut that came loose on your clutch you can look at your primary and see it rattling loose in there.

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
me too, a metallic rattling/ringing noise, from under the hood, only when moving worsens with increased rpms. any other ideas? brake calipers?

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
I bet you anything guys that the top bolt on the quick drive is coming loose and your break caliper is making the noise, this will also cause that bearing to spin on the jack shaft... mine is loaded on the truck right now on the way to dealer to get new shaft installed, there is suposed to be a update torque spec to 40-45 lbs on that top bolt on the QD, Good luck :face-icon-small-hap

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Check the jam nut on the primary spider. I've had them come off and rattle back and forth on the shaft and make a funny "ringing" noise.

sled_guy
Nope, jam nut is tight. Everything on the primary is solid.
I bet you anything guys that the top bolt on the quick drive is coming loose and your break caliper is making the noise, this will also cause that bearing to spin on the jack shaft... mine is loaded on the truck right now on the way to dealer to get new shaft installed, there is suposed to be a update torque spec to 40-45 lbs on that top bolt on the QD, Good luck :face-icon-small-hap

Not on mine, My pulleys are tight. I have switched to a different bolt/washer/torque spec. All is well in my QD system now

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
The washer between the secondary sheaves is my top suspect so far, I wonder if there's anything that can be done to silence it...? I'm just heading into the shop to work on the old girl.

Leftys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2010
Idaho
Alright you guys are possibly going to think I'm Wacky here, but I have been trying to find this rattle/tinging noise for a while now. Been driving me crazy. 2012 800 Pro RMK. I finally found it last weekend!! Believe it or not, check into this. Ready, here it is. The parking brake lock is loose on the pin and rattling on the master cylinder. Easy way to test: When you start to hear the noise keep the speed and throttle you are at and put your hand on the brake lock and walla, noise gone. Mine was that simple, but caused me so much aggrivation. Let me know if this helps anyone.:face-icon-small-coo

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Thanks lefty I'll experiment with that too.

I just finished working on my 13, and loaded her up for this weekend's trip.
-drive clutch is solid, and clean
-driven clutch is solid and clean but I can see how that washer between the sheaves could rattle in there.
-QD system is solid, no pulley or brake rotor wobble. Pulley bolts and washers indexed and still torqued properly
-Jackshaft and driveshaft bearings have no play, seem very smooth
-looked around everywhere under the hood, could find nothing loose or rattly except the starter gear is just a little sloppy

more testing / inspection needed I guess

Premium Features