• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Break in

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I just picked up a new 2011 m8 sp.

What are people doing for the break in? As there are many different philosopies.

When I bought my 08 seems like Cat recommended something ridiculous, like first 200 miles 1/2 throttle, next 200 3/4 with occassional full.

What about running oil with the first tank of gas? Dealer (the sales guy, not the mechanic) I bought the sled from said no; others I hear yes.

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
run the first tank pre mixed 100-1. i don't know what my dealer done but i pre mixed the first tank and took it easy the first 100 kms. still pinned it lots but never held it there for long period's of time. i got almost 4000 kms on mine now and still runs very very stong!

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
First tank premix 100-1, and vary throttle for first 2 tanks is what i've always done. I have bought 3 new sleds and never had a problem. I seem to remember a lot of people talking about differant break-in for the H.O motor. Something like run on a stand until temp light comes on to heat soak everything. I may be wrong and have never tried this way but i seem to recall this. Someone please correct if I'm wrong.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If the dealer did the right break in and you have 100:1 premix, warm it up ride it going from little throttle to almost full throttle letting it rap up then down a few times and ride easy for a bit. Then shut it down and cool for a bit and check coolant. Then ride the chit out of it.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Please don't tell me you bought it from Belgrade???
Where did you get it?
Always run 100:1 oil in the tank. It helps if you have any air it the oil line. The dealer should have run the sled. Jack it up and engage the track at lowest RPM. It will take about twelve miles to get the temp light flashing. Shut it down and cool completely. Take it out and run it like WYOBOY said. Second tank ride it like you don't own it.

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
100:1 on average is about 600ml of oil in that tank, then fill it with good quality fuel. Warm it up but don't overheat. Limit WOT to about 1 second on the first day. Pissing around all day at 1/4 and 1/2 throttle won't seat your rings.
With my 1000, after the engine gave up the first time, they had come out with a new break on procedure for the cat ho 800 engines which I also adopted. I felt it worked well either way I broke'em in. Main thing is to have LOADS of fun out there!

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
Just want to give you something to think about.

When engines are new there are a number of reasons to "break in" an engine properly. As engines are being built there are a number of sources for stress within the components. Stresses are created in the casting stage and machining stages of production. These stresses need to be relieved and that is where proper break in comes in. Heat cycling is a part of the break in process and is a good idea prior to operating the sled to relieve some of the stress before riding the sled and loading the engine. Some don't like to do that and take their chances by breaking the sled in on the trail etc. (usually the dealer will run the sled through a couple of heat cycles) Some have had good luck in just starting the sled up and run it as hard as they can, I think it's a bit risky but that's just me. Personally I know engines need to be broken in properly if one wants then to last.

M
Oct 24, 2010
i agree with what everyone said. when i bought my new sled the dealer did 3 heat cycles and told me to do a few more. my dealer said to run 100:1 for the first two tanks and to do 1/2 throttle for the first 100 miles with short burst of full throttle and that is good to go.

Premium Features