• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Epic HD 1080 POV helmet cam Opinions?

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
Can anyone tell me how the quality is with one of these camera's, they look to be pretty good, just would like someones opinion on how the quality is and how long they record!!

Thanks,
Ryan

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
My personal favorite on helmet cams is the Drift Innovation products. Great camera! I've also owned a GoPro Hero and have a friend whos contour i've used before. I ordered my new drift HD a couple weeks ago and should be here next week. The video quality is good and the cool things about the drift are the fact that it has a build in screen so not only can you do play back on your camera but you can also view what your recording and make sure its the point of view you want to record. It also has a remote that i personally put on my riser block to stop/start recording and the camera beats so you know it has started and stopped...unlike the Gopro where you have to search for the button and on the contour. What is also cool about the drift is that it records in 720P and the really cool thing about drift is it records in 1080p 60FPS which is the perfect picture setting for slow motion picture.
HOPE THIS HELPS! anymore questions ask!

EXAMPLE:

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
As found on here somewhere, Crutchfield has the Drift stealth 170hd on sale for $179 w/ a bunch of accessories. I ordered one to try the other day. Very excited to give it a try riding, hunting... all kinds of stuff! :face-icon-small-hap

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
As found on here somewhere, Crutchfield has the Drift stealth 170hd on sale for $179 w/ a bunch of accessories. I ordered one to try the other day. Very excited to give it a try riding, hunting... all kinds of stuff! :face-icon-small-hap

I did too. I also oredered the external power pak from another business so I don't have to worry about battery power in the cold - I hope it works like I plan. Stick the pwr pak in an inside coat pocket and run the wire up to the camera.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
depends on how big of an SD card you get...I ride with an 8GB and it'll go for almost an hour and a half of record time.....but with the drift you have the remote so if your trail riding or something to a new area and dont want to record the boring crap just hit the stop recording button and just hit the start button to start it back up once you want to start recording again.....battery lasts about 3 hours

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
depends on how big of an SD card you get...I ride with an 8GB and it'll go for almost an hour and a half of record time.....but with the drift you have the remote so if your trail riding or something to a new area and dont want to record the boring crap just hit the stop recording button and just hit the start button to start it back up once you want to start recording again.....battery lasts about 3 hours

Ok thanks this cam sounds like the best bang for your buck!! I like the idea of a remote!!

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Thanks for the reviews, I just ordered the Drift Stealth from Amazon, I also got a free battery with it, total was $175.

I really like the idea of having the screen on it, and the remote.

Sure wish it would start to snow here in the midwest! LOL.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
You guys won't be disappointed with the Drift. The Drift's remote control is the best feature of any helmet camera, hands down. I also own a GoPro but I only use this for Scuba diving because of the water proof case. Both take excellent video. I think the colour reproduction in our snowy environment recording, is a little better with the Drift as well.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
What video editing software are you guys running with the drift camera? What advantages does the drift have over the gopro or the contour? and vice versa?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
What video editing software are you guys running with the drift camera? What advantages does the drift have over the gopro or the contour? and vice versa?

For me, it was the price, got a 170* viewing, and an available external power pack I can use/keep warm to power the camera, and an LCD screen to check what angle the camera is recording.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Guys Ive had both the GoPro 1080 HD model which I lost and am still to this day, extremely pissed about, and the Drift 170HD as a replacement. Anyway, I bought the Drift 170HD in the orange version so I can find it if it falls in the snow easier. If you guys pack a 16GB card, you wont fill it in a full days ride. The battery will go before the card fills up. If you used the standard stock battery, itll last about 3/4 a day then miss most of the last hour or so of your ride.This is at temps around 10-30F. You could carry a spare battery, but I am lazy, and want the camera to run without me screwing with it for the entire day. The battery will only go about half the day (few hours) of off and on recording when temps drop below 0, especially around the -20 mark.

You can buy the 1700 stock replacement, or Rayovac makes an 1800 replacement that fits as well. I tried the Rayovac and it lasted all day for me unless it was extremely cold every time. It stopped charging though, after only one season, so now I am back to a stock small one. I will probably order the 1700 Drift battery and be done with it.

The Drift has great quality, like the GoPro, but I like the GoPros 960p "tall" format, which allows me to see my arms, handlebars, etc. and also lets me see high enough to see whats in front of the sled and the horizon. The Drift doesnt have this aspect ratio and I really miss having it. The Drift remote control is great, and the screeen is nice, but I rarely find myself using it, except possibly in the truck on the ride home.

Overall, I liked the Hero, and have recently ordered the Hero 2, which looks amazing.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Check out my youtube channel for examples with both cameras. And look for the Hero 2 footage that should be up as soon as I get it here. I will be posting exclusively with it. May use the Drift in addition for different angles.

AkREV151

Last edited:
Premium Features