• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: AntiGravity 12 Cell YT12-B Ultra-Lightweight Lithium Battery

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I used velcro on my 12 cell ballistic and it held all season. Keep in mind I roll my sled a lot and it never budged. However when I went out to fire up my sled after parking it for a month my battery was dead. Won't charge either.... :(

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
justinkredible56

That sucks I have heard if there is a any sort of draw on the battery and if the charge in said battery gets down past a certain point that the batteries are done and cant be revived

you do realize that these batteries need special chargers and do not work with your regular trickle chargers right I was told you can use a trickle chargers for a few minutes but that it or it damages the batteries.

I believe both companies sell the special chargers that you need to use

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
I talked to someone at Antigravity batteries today, asking about chargers. They told me that the battery comes fully charged, and I should just run it in the sled and take it out at the end of the season - and I -should- not have to charge it at all in the off season or otherwise. I don't know how accurate that is, but it did come straight from them.

Maybe someone who has actually used one of these for a while can clarify...do you need to charge these in the off-season at all?

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
I got mine installed when it arrived the other day, and it works perfectly (now at least.

Since Christopher got the letter last year explaining regret that they did not send a battery to show their retail packaging, I took a couple of pictures of mine as it came in the package -

7999659210_ecb6555530_b.jpg

7999658492_7883a2b60b_b.jpg

The included pad I stuck to the back of the battery, and that was enough to get it good and tight, but I also stuck a piece of foam in the side where there was a gap. I also put a piece of velcro on the bottom to stick it in the battery box, so it is going nowhere now. Mine came fully charged and fired the Nytro right up.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I talked to someone at Antigravity batteries today, asking about chargers. They told me that the battery comes fully charged, and I should just run it in the sled and take it out at the end of the season - and I -should- not have to charge it at all in the off season or otherwise. I don't know how accurate that is, but it did come straight from them.

Maybe someone who has actually used one of these for a while can clarify...do you need to charge these in the off-season at all?

adairtd1
I have a SuperB Li-ion battery, different brand but same procedure. You don't need to charge over the summer, as they're capable of keeping thier change for well over a year.

The thing to watch out for is a phantom discharge, which Nytro's are notorious for. Yami says there is no draw from the battery with the key out but i've seen it happen.

Best practice is to remove the battery terminal during summer storage, and reinstall if you want to occasionally start. Because if something discharges your Li-Ion completely, it's TOAST, and becomes a 2 pound paperweight!

OTM

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
adairtd1
I have a SuperB Li-ion battery, different brand but same procedure. You don't need to charge over the summer, as they're capable of keeping thier change for well over a year.

The thing to watch out for is a phantom discharge, which Nytro's are notorious for. Yami says there is no draw from the battery with the key out but i've seen it happen.

Best practice is to remove the battery terminal during summer storage, and reinstall if you want to occasionally start. Because if something discharges your Li-Ion completely, it's TOAST, and becomes a 2 pound paperweight!

OTM

Pretty sure this is what happened to me. Sled was suspended for off season storage for about a month and the battery was completely dead. I guess the bright side is you guys can benefit from my mistake! :)

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
I cant say how long they last myself, but I would say they are worth it if you are in the market for a lightweight battery. They offer a 3 year warranty, which is a lot longer than any of the other batteries I looked at, and they are made here in the USA.

I know I was able to tell a difference after I got mine in, with lifting the front end of that sled up.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
So is this battery worth the money? How long will they last? It would be nice to shed a little weight.

Season 1 with Li-ion battery was no problem. Started up fine. I never had a chance to fire it in really cold weather <-10c, but it worked well. Also checked the battery voltage last week on the sled and it hasn't moved since April.

In terms of life, I suspect they will last a long time, understanding their limitations, and there are 2 biggies:
1. You really need to be careful with phantom discharge because if they discharge completely, they are ruined. I haven't had this problem but others have. Its easy to check with a multimeter to ensure when the key is off there is NO amp draw on the battery and in the off season disconnect it. The other risk is forgetting to leave a key on overnight. Both are Battery killers.

2. The other is the cold weather starting procedure. Basically you have to "wake up" these batteries as they don't really like super cold. Some people (including me) are putting a grip heater around the battery which does 2 things: Puts a current draw on the battery and heats its shell (the former probably being the more important). You fire the grip heater/battery warmer for 3 - 5 minutes prior to a cold start, and it'll usually start the engine on the first try. If you don't do this, you'll need to try a few cranks of the key, waiting a couple of minutes in between. It will eventually crank normally.

To me the key is finding a current draw on the battery to get those electrons moving when its cold.

Am I going back to a lead acid? Nope. There are simply too many easy options to get a sled started with this technology. And there is always the old standard I suppose: bring booster cables and use the battery from your buddy's grenaded Poo that you towed back to the camp with your Yami.

....take that!

OTM

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
How come you nedd a special charger for this battery, you dont change the sleds chargingsystem and it is charging the battery.

Antigravity

The Antigravity Batteries are very nice. I think they are worth the money if you are looking for a light weight alternative. If you are going to ride where it is cold, and not trailer your toys I would suggest a larger cell battery. At the least 12-Cell, however on very cold day 15 and below, you are going to want a 16-Cell.

Message me if you would like a great deal from a retailer!!!

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
It's a pretty good battery i guess, but not as good as the seller (direct from AntiGravity) said to me to make me buy one, should have listened to more serious sellers i talked to selling LiFePo batteries of other makes.
Now fully undestand how Lithium works i can make an well thought purchase and i would choose Speedcell (why not thru Murph on this forum) any day of the week.
He knows his batteries.
Just my opinion, based on the fact i hate people saying anything to make a sell.

Using Tapatalk on Android ICS pad.

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
How come you nedd a special charger for this battery, you dont change the sleds chargingsystem and it is charging the battery.

The sled charge any battery just fine.
But do not use s.c. "smart charger" (like ctek) because they have charge cycles (desulfate) that rise voltage above 14.4 volt and it kills a Lithium battery.

OH OK

You must have messaged me with this in mind--interesting. I know that I prefer the 16 Cell antigravity. I purchased it through a seller for $30 less than you can buy it online. I love the weight savings for 240 bucks and it has a 3 year warranty. I offer to put in touch with some where I think is a good place to purchase. Sorry I ride more than I spend time on SW.

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
You must have messaged me with this in mind--interesting. I know that I prefer the 16 Cell antigravity. I purchased it through a seller for $30 less than you can buy it online. I love the weight savings for 240 bucks and it has a 3 year warranty. I offer to put in touch with some where I think is a good place to purchase. Sorry I ride more than I spend time on SW.

It's the 16 cell i bought, does not effect LiFePo caracteristic in cold.

All LiFePo batteries should have quick connectors as Speedcell have, a must in my opinion, now i can disconnect the battery in a couple of seconds and bring it in warmth, and connect it as quick and sled start immidiately, no need to make 10-15 start cycles to wake up the battery!

Premium Features