• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Key Maintenance Tips: Bolts

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I know everyone is working on their sleds and excited to get out and ride.
Having a bolt come loose or breaking can ruin a ride real fast!
Here are a few quick tips about bolts for everyone doing their own maintenance.
(This is a repost from my blog at PESIdaho.com)
(Feel free to reply with your own tips I may have missed)

What is Threadlock (Loctite?):
  • “Threadlock is a single component anaerobic (absence of air) adhesive comprised of liquid resins that harden (or cure) to a durable solid when exposed to active metal ions in the absence of air. The anaerobic cure mechanism allows the adhesive to flow and evenly settle to lock and seal threaded fasteners without curing permanently. Any excess threadlocker will remain liquid, and is easily wiped away from the assembly.” – Loctite website
  • It fills the air in a bolted joint and provide lubricity to achieve controlled torque during assembly.
  • Threadlockers also seal your threads against moisture, protecting against corrosion and galling.
  • OEM’s spend tons of time and money developing Torque Specs. Always torque all bolts to the factory spec.
  • Threadlocker provides protection against bolted joints loosening from shock and vibration. (Crucial on a snowmobile)

What kind of Threadlock to use?:
  • Every joint on a snowmobile is between Semi-Active metals. Meaning regular threadlock might not cure and hold the bolt in place.
    Active.JPG
  • Only primerless Loctite 243(Blue) & 263(Red) or equivalent should be used to ensure that the threadlocker cures and actually holds.(The only time regular threadlock should be used is if an unplated steel is used. There are none of these type of joints on a snowmobile)
  • Regular threadlocker can be used if you apply a primer first.
  • Anti-seize or primerless threadlocker should be used on all Titanium or Aluminum fasteners

How long does it take Threadlock to cure(develop permanent hold?):
  • Thread lock is 50% cured at 4 hours at 70 degrees.
  • 100% at 24 hr.
  • Heat can be applied to accelerate the cure time.
  • Make sure threadlock is fully cured before operating

How to properly reuse Nuts and Bolts:
  • Threadlocker can be by softened by applying Heat. Impact drills are also helpful for removing bolts with Threadlock applied.
  • Make sure the Fastener is not damaged. No nicks or groves. If you can feel the damage with your finger the bolt should be replaced.
  • Clean the Fastener to remove all grease and old Threalock. Threadlock when cured is basically a glass. If old threadlock is not removed it can cause a false torque reading and prevent the new threadlock from curing.
  • To reuse a Nyloc nut apply threadlock to the nut. Do not reuse Nyloc nuts w/o threadlock. Once a Nyloc is used once it no longer prevents loosening when reinstalled.
  • Apply the appropriate Threadlock to the nut or threads and retorque to the Factory Spec.
  • Also if a bolt has threadlock, once it is cured, do not retorque it later to check it still torqued. This breaks the threadlock and the bolt could come loose. Remove the bolt and apply new threalock if you think a bolt has loosened up.

Last edited:
F

Flatlander44

Oct 8, 2013
Great info. I just pulled my motor to have a long rod done and I was very surprised at all the loose nuts and bolts. Even had one from the over structure missing!! And lower studd for the front steering post was loose. Just a heads up...if you ride hard, stuff will come loose. Every bolt should be checked every year. You just don't know if the guy pulling your sled out of the crate, or the first owner (if used), torqued everything.

Premium Features