• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'09 D8 not pulling RPMs

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
Got an '09 800 with 700 miles.

SLP exhaust, SLP intake.
PC3 fuel controller w/ SLP map
10-62 Pol. weights, SLP blue/pink primary spring
stock helix, stock sec spring (new)
19/41 gearing

at 4000-5000 feet sled pulls 8300 rpms, and has bad dead spot at 5600-5900 rpms. if running at steady 5700 rpms sled almost sounds like its only hitting on one cylinder, plugs look perfect.

above 6000 feet, mid-range bog goes away but sled will only pull 7700 rpms tops, on a load or trail. even after leaning pc3 10% on top.

mechanic at dealer says i should grind my weights to 61g and change my gearing from 19/41 to 19/42, I dont see this changing much, I mean 1g and 1 bottom gear tooth are going to increase my rpms 500-600, i dont believe it. and none of that will fix the mid-range stumble.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Got an '09 800 with 700 miles.

SLP exhaust, SLP intake.
PC3 fuel controller w/ SLP map
10-62 Pol. weights, SLP blue/pink primary spring
stock helix, stock sec spring (new)
19/41 gearing

at 4000-5000 feet sled pulls 8300 rpms, and has bad dead spot at 5600-5900 rpms. if running at steady 5700 rpms sled almost sounds like its only hitting on one cylinder, plugs look perfect.

above 6000 feet, mid-range bog goes away but sled will only pull 7700 rpms tops, on a load or trail. even after leaning pc3 10% on top.

mechanic at dealer says i should grind my weights to 61g and change my gearing from 19/41 to 19/42, I dont see this changing much, I mean 1g and 1 bottom gear tooth are going to increase my rpms 500-600, i dont believe it. and none of that will fix the mid-range stumble.

have you added fuel in the midrange?..on my pc-5 most maps are adding as much as 20% in the mid range from about 5300 thru 6500...as for the rpm..sounds to me like you need fresh springs in both clutches, check all bushings and rollers for wear, add a delrin washer in the secondary, I would run less final on the helix, with more initial..something around 60/40/.36 is what I would pic..especially over 6000 ft...62's sound light already too for 5000 ft..I run slp mtx 68's that high pulling 8300+...but I run a different helix, slp green/pink frt spring, delrins, and black/purple stock sec spring...how hot do the clutches get and which one is hotter? if you let the sled cool off for 10 minutes does it pull rpm then ?

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
SLPs map adds somewhere in the 20% range in the 4000-6000 rpms range. springs in clutches are both new (SLP blue/pink primary and blk/purple sec), never had a heat problem with either one, rpms are consistently low at elevation no matter what, both clutches ared operating properly as far as i know, sec has 2 delrin washers

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
SLPs map adds somewhere in the 20% range in the 4000-6000 rpms range. springs in clutches are both new (SLP blue/pink primary and blk/purple sec), never had a heat problem with either one, rpms are consistently low at elevation no matter what, both clutches ared operating properly as far as i know, sec has 2 delrin washers

humm, well, have you done a compression check/piston inspection lately? also, which springs are in the powervalves?, thats a big rpm drop for 1000 ft, makes me think the motor is down on power..recheck the basics...maybe even try unplugging the pc-5 when you are up that high and do a quick run and see if it picks up rpm..just a thought....

S
Dec 21, 2008
Odessa, WA
i have a 08 d8 with slp pipe blue/pink main spring and stock helix and spring in the rear. i run the mtx 68gr weights with the 3gr in the outter. i think i pull 8100 rpm around 4000ft, stock gearing also. iv plugged of the exhaust valve solinode line. i have the pc3 on my sled with slp's map for the april flash. i hooked up a egt to try and do my own mapping and lets just say wow slp's map was so stupidly rich. not at all happy with there map. i have the pc3 leaned out all the way on the high side and it then hit 1200 egt on a hard pull. mid range was to rich but got it close and the low was also stupid rich. so just maybe your sled is rich lol.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
i have a 08 d8 with slp pipe blue/pink main spring and stock helix and spring in the rear. i run the mtx 68gr weights with the 3gr in the outter. i think i pull 8100 rpm around 4000ft, stock gearing also. iv plugged of the exhaust valve solinode line. i have the pc3 on my sled with slp's map for the april flash. i hooked up a egt to try and do my own mapping and lets just say wow slp's map was so stupidly rich. not at all happy with there map. i have the pc3 leaned out all the way on the high side and it then hit 1200 egt on a hard pull. mid range was to rich but got it close and the low was also stupid rich. so just maybe your sled is rich lol.

It doesn't surprise me your sled is rich. First off, SLP's map for the PC5 is designed to be used with the original (1st) 2010 flash (which is much leaner than the April 2010 flash is btw) not to mention that their map is also set-up to run the Power Valves UNPLUGGED!!

S
Dec 21, 2008
Odessa, WA
huh, i did have slp's old map the 70-208 and had the sled flashed when the bottom end went. i called slp and they said the only map they have now is the 20-217 map which runs parallel with the april flash and thats the one i needed. im sure its right i do know the old map was alot richer in number values and this new 20-217 map was leaner. its just a little to safe of a map i think, might be hard to get leaned out to where i need it.

S
Dec 21, 2008
Odessa, WA
Inspect your pistons and rings.

Check the TPS setting.

sled_guy

aso make sure your runnin ethonal or non ethonal fuel with what ever setting you ecu wire is on. im not sure what way it is but it depends on if the wire is pluged in or not. one way runs the ecu 5% richer and i think takes 3degs of timing out for (ethonal fuel). if your running non ethonal fuel and your ecu is still running for ethonal fuel could be why your sled is running rich i think thats what my problem is cause i just switched to non ethonal fuel and i didnt know about this stupid wire thing they add to the april flash.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2012
Grande Prairie
I have similar issues with 800 dragon which has the piston recall done and running the slp single and recommended clutching setup, with the PC 5 on it and I loose RPM off the top, over 6000ft max rpm is like 7300 7400 instead of 8150 like it should be. Any other ideas?

S
Dec 21, 2008
Odessa, WA
I have similar issues with 800 dragon which has the piston recall done and running the slp single and recommended clutching setup, with the PC 5 on it and I loose RPM off the top, over 6000ft max rpm is like 7300 7400 instead of 8150 like it should be. Any other ideas?

pull your exhaust valves out and make sure the exhaust hole is not plugged my brother just had that problem this weekend and it was turning like 400 rpm less then is used too and the ports were plugged. big problem when running polaris oil i would say... i run AMP'S oil and pulled my valves a week ago and seemed a little bad but not like my bro's and i have way more miles on my sled. he was running polaris oil and his holes were just caked plugged. iv been told from my good buddy who is a polaris dealer and mechanic that ever motor they torn apart that ran red line oil look like band spanken new so... if the case id run that stuff not sure how skirt wear is on it since polaris sucks on skirt wear right now they fail to lube well so keep rpms at 8150 max do to test and research from polaris if you want your motor to last, and this is all from test and research from the big guys that dont want to say stuff.........!

Premium Features