• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new grips, which adhesive?

C
Nov 26, 2007
Currently installing a new handle bar set up and the grips suggest using Loctite Super Glue. I'm having trouble finding that particular adhesive. Any other suggestions on another adhesive?
Thanks

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
I myself us spray paint. This has worked for the last--oh 25 years or so for me--and I bet you have some in your garage or shop.

Heat release's most adhesives.

H20SKE...

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
plain black spray paint and follow these instructions

clean prepped to go bar and heater installed..cover everything up from overspray...spray into a heated or warmed up (heat gun or blow dryer) grip wait 30 seconds....spray on handle bar area where you will be sticking the grip..wait 30 seconds....blow on grip with air....wiggle grip back and forth slightly (DO NOT TURN)...leave it alone for an hour and it is 100% PERMANANT! You will have to cut these off and buy new heaters if you need them changed...no slipping and no coming loose if you follow that exact procedure. Super hard core monster strong guys put wire wraps around the grips to maintain a set..motocross racing tip. Most sleds don't require it and most following this technique don't either.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
X2 on the JB weld. I'm down to the JB weld, completely wore through the grip and it never move. Now I get to grind and scrape and peel and burn everything back down to the bar. I'm almost thinking that I want to try an new set of bars anyhow.

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
air gun

I've had my grips off and on a few times and I don't use glue. I have never had a grip move. Maybe some fit tighter than others. I always use a air nozzle. Slide the tip of the nozzle between the grip and the bar and blast with air. The air expands the grip so you can slide it on or off very easily.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Eugene, Or.
X2 for the spray paint. Works great, and I always have a can sitting around the shop. You guys sound a lot more technical about the install though.... I just clean the bar ends with solvent or mineral spirits, then douse the inside of the grip with shake and shoot, then, while its snotty wet inside I slide it up onto the bar. I hold it in place for about ten seconds and its there forever!

RYDPWDR

Premium Member
Aug 15, 2002
Billings,MT
so if you use spray paint, do you use that for the heaters or what do you use for the heaters

I have an old sheet in my shop, just put a hole in it, slide it over the handlebar so it covers everything from overspray. Then spray everthing including inside of grips with paint, wait just a few then push them on, they won't come loose. Next pair you put on you just use some paint thinner to clean off the old paint.

Premium Features