• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gsxr 1000??

K
Jan 3, 2017
Well it’s the middle of summer, perfect snowbike dreaming weather. Anyways I bought a crashed 08 gsxr 1000 that I was planning on fixing, but motor runs perfect and now I have the stupid idea for for a 1000 snowbike, or is it a stupid idea? I’ve been riding my kx5 on a 16 ts Lt for a few years now and love it but always looking for more power. I’ve been thinking of putting that motor in a motocross frame like those open class hill climb bikes. It seems to work for them. Just wondering what you guys think? I know some people have done this before me any insights would be awesome. The way I figure it the gsxr motor is about 60 lbs heavier but almost 3x the horse power!

K
Jan 3, 2017
I’ve watched a lot of those videos already which is why I think this idea has potential. They are really fast and powerful but seem to loose a lot in handling, like in the trees. I don’t want to build a hill climb snowbike. I have a sled to climb hills. I know adding weight will make it harder through the trees regardless but I think if I swap it into a motocross frame I won’t loose that much in terms of handling. There are a few problems I see like where to put the radiator but I figure I could make a tunnel cooler and ditch the radiator. Also not sure on a gas tank. Most of the hill climb bikes have a extremely small tanks.
post-361714-13805226022853.jpg

Here is an example of a hill climber with one of these motors. Looks like they fit it in there nicely.

Last edited:
K
Jan 3, 2017
Wow

I hadn’t seen that video yet. That’s awesome they have something figured out. But it almost seems like they built a glorified snow hawk. Because you sit above the track on a hawk like that. Is that the end game if I go down this road, I’m just going to build a snow hawk? If I just throw this motor in a motocross frame do you think it will handle that much worse than a regular snow bike because of the added weight? Why does the track further forward help so much?

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I believe that the track under the rider makes the overall length shorter and therefore more maneuverable.

With a dirt bike conversion the entire track is behind the rider, that makes the weight of the bike and rider transfer to the front of the machine in certain situations with potentially negative effects such as g outs or jumping in powder.

What made the Snowhawk bad? (Or less desirable) I sense you have a negative opinion of them. I never rode one in the powder, just once in big packed open field.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
What happens when it falls over in some gnarly spot and you have to up right it yourself in deep snow? Is that possible? Is it usable for aggressive mountain riding, or just a novelty flatlander item for crushing meadows that happen to be in the mountains?

K
Jan 3, 2017
I believe that the track under the rider makes the overall length shorter and therefore more maneuverable.

With a dirt bike conversion the entire track is behind the rider, that makes the weight of the bike and rider transfer to the front of the machine in certain situations with potentially negative effects such as g outs or jumping in powder.

What made the Snowhawk bad? (Or less desirable) I sense you have a negative opinion of them. I never rode one in the powder, just once in big packed open field.

I don’t have an opinion on snow hawks because I’ve never ridden one. I didn’t mean to diss snow hawks in anyway. What I was trying to say was if modding this bike ultimately ends in being a snow hawk it would make much more sense to start with a hawk and throw this motor in. I’d don’t really want to do that I think my snowbike handles pretty well already I just don’t want the gsxr snowbike to handle way worse than a snowbike.

K
Jan 3, 2017
What happens when it falls over in some gnarly spot and you have to up right it yourself in deep snow? Is that possible? Is usable for aggressive mountain riding, or just a novelty flatlander items for crushing meadows that happen to be in the mountains?

I always ride with others so I’m not afraid if they have to help me right myself sometimes. But this is just what I’m trying to figure out if I will still be able to use it to tree ride like I do with my snowbike now. I think basically if I don’t change anything but the motor it shouldn’t effect the handling too much an extra 60lbs is about all.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Sounds like you are concerned enough about handling I have to recommend you bail out now. I have a buddy with a r1 timbersled in a yz aluminum frame. He never rides it. And he enjoys riding his sled in places only snowbikes go. I've yet to see a video of a heavy powerful snowbike riding in terrain like we usually ride (tight trees on steep side hills). In fact the burant sled videos are usually more technical riding than the 1000cc snowbike seems capable of so just buy a clapped out polaris pro and have at it... plenty of power as long as its running... I guess you could throw a sac of horse feed over your gas tank on your kx and go for a test ride and see how it handles I rode a hawk years ago and It just seemed like it needed a min clearance of 50 feet between the trees to be safe. But I did't have much saddle time on it.

The gnarbike looks awsome but there are no closeup pictures available and never see him standing up in the vids. I'm woried the foot pegs aren't in the right place for a good standup riding style.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Sounds like you are concerned enough about handling I have to recommend you bail out now. I have a buddy with a r1 timbersled in a yz aluminum frame. He never rides it. And he enjoys riding his sled in places only snowbikes go. I've yet to see a video of a heavy powerful snowbike riding in terrain like we usually ride (tight trees on steep side hills). In fact the burant sled videos are usually more technical riding than the 1000cc snowbike seems capable of so just buy a clapped out polaris pro and have at it... plenty of power as long as its running... I guess you could throw a sac of horse feed over your gas tank on your kx and go for a test ride and see how it handles I rode a hawk years ago and It just seemed like it needed a min clearance of 50 feet between the trees to be safe. But I did't have much saddle time on it.

The gnarbike looks awsome but there are no closeup pictures available and never see him standing up in the vids. I'm woried the foot pegs aren't in the right place for a good standup riding style.

Do you have any pictures of the R1 / ts yz?

E
Dec 19, 2007
no pics. and I've never seen it run. it just sits in his garage. it still looks heavy and he says its geared way to fast to ride in trees. I suppose that's an easy fix but he loves tree riding and won't even try to improve it. That says something I think.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I rode the Gnar Bike to give Barney (the builder/owner) some feed back from someone that has a lot of time on sleds and zero time (almost zero, 10 minute demoride on packed snow on a timbersled) on a snowbike.

That being said I didn’t take either bike he had on anything with tight trees or super steep. But I did like it so much I will be on a snowbike this winter.

He does have some videos on YouTube. Search Gnar Bike

https://m.youtube.com/gnarbike

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Short of a ground up, from scratch build, i'd say you're most likely on the right track with trying to cram it in a Moto frame. Or at least somewhat easy track to get something that might work without much rocket science.

Got to be better than putting a track on a street bike frame.

Figure out a tunnel cooler and maybe get gas tank lower if you wanted.

K
Jan 3, 2017
A snowbike best feature compared to a sled is it’s handling if you start to detract from that too much it will become useless I believe. I think the extra weight won’t effect tree riding that much because it should still have the same turn radius. I think it will hurt side-hilling a lot more. More weight on the ski to wash out. I would be really interested if you could get a pic of your friends yz/r1. Otherwise it doesn’t seem like there is a lot of documentation with what I’m planning I may have to build it just to find out. That gnar bike seems to preform amazing but I would have to design my own skid which I don’t want to I want to use my t-sled kit. The question I’m grappling with right now is should I use the gsxr frame or a 94 cr250 frame. Those are the 2 I have available. I would use a newer aluminum frame but I don’t have a tig welder to put it together.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
no pics. and I've never seen it run. it just sits in his garage. it still looks heavy and he says its geared way to fast to ride in trees. I suppose that's an easy fix but he loves tree riding and won't even try to improve it. That says something I think.

That just says he’s too lazy to finish the necessary R&D / testing required to make any prototype work.

The R6 setup I have completely underwhelmed me until the gearing was close.
After gearing the bike transformed.
These i4 motors need to be revving to have the response needed in deep snow.

Small changes in footpeg locations and bar position has also hugely affected handling/ fun factor.

Moving the fuel tank down and back to the tunnel helped the forward/ backward weight balance. (Also lowering the center of gravity)

Premium Features