• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017/18 Snowy Range snow conditions

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Yes. I having been in there in awhile. I remember them having a trough with ice in the men’s bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
The snow is good. The trail is ok out of Ten Mile. The snow gets better the higher you go. I would trailer to upper parking lot. That way you don’t have to ride all that trail up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
snow forecast

I saw this posted Sunday morning: "Prolonged period of very heavy snow for the Sierra Madre and Snowy ranges. Additional snow accumulations of 12-20 inches, with localized amounts up to 28 inches. Until 5:00 p.m. MST Monday."

We had to leave early Saturday to avoid being stuck on the mountain. It was white-out in the Green Rock parking area at 2:00 p.m. Saturday. That area needed some new snow. The area we stayed at got 5 inches Wednesday night, another inch or 2 Friday night. 50 MPH winds made visibility bad. A local told us he hasn't seen sustained winds like this in a long time. When the snow stopped for awhile Saturday morning, we ran into FOG. We stayed in the valleys, so we got beneath the fog. Mother Nature was making our fun difficult.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
I’ll be up there this weekend as a party of 3. Riding Friday - Sunday and I’ll post updates. Anyone else going to be up there and ride with us?

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Just home from 3 days....Great trip...Snow was better than good, but not awesome. We had fresh powder every day, plus the wind eraser left us with fresh tracks the entire time. Did hit a few unseen land mines, but luckily no damage.

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
Thanks for sharing your video...it sure would be nice if fellow riders would crop out any evidence of running over trees out of their vids. All this does is provide ammunition for sled haters to push their agenda. Please be cognizant of this aspect as pressure is already against our freedom for closing our beloved riding areas! Countless hours attending open meetings waves a pointless stick when they have video proof:face-icon-small-con

W

Walleye65

Nov 6, 2014
hows the snow ?? Booked to arrive March 4. Wondering if we stick with Snowies or start thinking horns ? We are intermediate riders at best.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
hows the snow ?? Booked to arrive March 4. Wondering if we stick with Snowies or start thinking horns ? We are intermediate riders at best.

Snowies are doing well. Snotel broke 100" today at Medicine Bow. I would stick with the Snowies. The Horns are in better shape than they have been for a while though so can't really go wrong.

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY

The forecast for Sunday through Monday is looking really good. There will most likely be another chance before your trip. Either location should be great. I'm just partial to the Snowies.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
What elevation should we clutch for !!

Not sure what you are riding, but the Range starts at 8500 (Albany) or 9500 (Snowy Mtn Lodge/Green Rock) and goes up to just over 11k. If you are south Co Rd 130 (the main trail the cuts east west across the Range), then clutch for 8-10k should do fine. Thinking abt the high side of that (i.e. 9k+) or higher (north of 130), go straight to 10-12k clutching.

Enjoy

W

Walleye65

Nov 6, 2014
one sled is an 07 Summit 800R (DL's hi-lo elevation kit) the other sled is an 06 Summit 800 HO with a Cudney kit. Thinking 13 grams ?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Rode today made a loop from lake Marie down through seven fools and over to silver lake and back to lake Marie. Lots of untouched areas if you like steep thick trees. The snow was 2-3’ deep and setting up fast. Today was warm and windy. 35/35.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Rode today made a loop from lake Marie down through seven fools and over to silver lake and back to lake Marie. Lots of untouched areas if you like steep thick trees. The snow was 2-3’ deep and setting up fast. Today was warm and windy. 35/35.

Only 35mph wind.....thats a gentle breeze for the snowies. 50-60mph is when it starts to get windy. :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features