• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Always use the crotch strap when wearing your airbag

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Attached is an article showing the importance of wearing the crotch strap. It may sound uncomfortable, but in reality you will barely even notice it is on.

"The deceased was near the surface with his airbag inflated and clearly visible from 100m away. He had not attached the crotch strap of his airbag. As the overburden from the slap he triggered from mid-slope overran his position in the toe of the debris, the airbag was lifted away from his back and above his head. This caused two serious problems. As the balloons and pack were pushed forward and downhill it lifted the pack, causing the chest strap to catch on his chin and impede his airway. Secondly, the buoyant airbag also pulled the victim's arms above his head, restricting movement and the ability to use hands to clear his own airway....................The space between the balloon pack and the victim's back was approximately 40-50cm."

Crotch_Strap.jpg

S

Snow Junkie

Mar 9, 2009
Sounds very uncomfortable, Mine doesn't even have a crotch strap. Do any of them?:face-icon-small-con

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
First - The straps that come with ABS packs are an elastic material. I know this will sound a little goofy, but you will get the idea.

If you leave them just loose enough so that they don't tighten up when you sit on your sled, you won't ever notice you even have them. Leave them too loose, and you may hook the strap on the handle bars when climbing, boon docking, etc. Loose, but not sloppy.

Most guys I know, remove them for fear of catching on the bars. The start of this thread has me convinced to put them back on.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
WOW. Thanks for this post! I have not used the strap ever either. I never thought about this situation before. I am glad I saw this now and not learn of it myself the hard way. It will be annoying the first few times when I want to take my pack off to eat or whatever other reason but this will be in my mind every time i use it now. Thanks a million!!!!!!

On a side note I guess that's why we need to use the stuff we buy the way it was intended. Things like this can happen with any product when not used properly. Such a sad deal.

PS this should be a sticky at the top of every section, not just in the Avalanche section. This is so important. I have had a false sense of security while wearing my pack incorrectly for two years now. I was lucky enough to have it catch my eye before I went to my normal sections. Mods please make this happen.

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
SET IT AND FORGET IT! After the first use, which required a minor adjustment, I don't even know it's there anymore.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
They all come with a crotch strap, but in most cases I see the user remove the crotch strap.

At the Boise snow show I bought a Snow Pulse Vest from you. It does not appear to have a crotch strap. If it does not have one am I going to be able to swap it for something different?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Only time I don't have mine hooked up as designed is when I take it off midday, and maybe forget when I put it back on. Once you find the tension you need to move around, without it raising your voice when you reach, you don't notice it. I have an original Freeride, it is not elastic, instructions were pretty clear from their testing experience - ignore it at your own peril.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
SOLD!!!

My strap is located inside the waist belt compartment (is that a camera pocket).....I'm going to go out in the shop tonight and make it right.

I already always wear my crotch strap on my tekvest and I never know it's there...this shouldn't be any different.

Thank you.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The Snowpulse vest doesn't have a c strap. It fits tighter than a pack and when worn zipped up and both buckles clipped in we are probably OK. I'm trying to fit 2 riggers belts with alloy buckles and a critch strap rigged from the side. I would like to ride in-zipped at times for venting. I don't like having my life depend on a 3 yr old zipper and 2 crappy plastic buckles. I'm also cutting all the extra webbing out of the side so there isn't all that bunched up material under my arms. I'm rigging the c strap from the side so it doesn't split my sack.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Good thread! Anything to help save a life...

I wear a c-strap year-round :face-icon-small-coo
457a2754f7178ec8bba3ec478b7cbfc3_zpsc6487b68.jpg

Premium Features