• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Two Way radios ?

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
we picked up two, two packs (total of 4 radios) last year at costc. they are the cobra brand, take double AA batteries and we just ran the lithium ion AA batteries and they work great. range is 2-3 miles, i think i may have changed the batteries in mine once last year and if i remember right they were only $69.99 a pair. and their not much bigger than a cell phone which is great

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
I would also try going to a Big 5, or any other sporting goods store. I know i saw one that said it had a 45 mile range, but we all know it might be 5 miles at best in the mtn. I think it was right around $50 for one, not to bad.

K
I've gone through probably 5 sets of FRS Radios over the past 10 years. Snow is their enemy. No matter what they say for range you will never get more than about 1 to 2 miles out of them in the mountains.....and that's on a good day. The set I use now are Motorolas with a supposed "30 km" range but there's no way. Even reaching each other on the same ski hill was very iffy! They do work a little better in the no snow months but not much better. We just keep ours turned off until we get separated or I'm going ahead to check out an area before the wife follows me in. I have yet to try the new 60 km. range radios. In my experience, do not rely on them for communication over more than a mile.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Ok thanks

I'm not expecting anything great out of them. As far as I know these are all line of sight radios, making the 20-45 mile range a little unrealistic.

I have a rino (Radio/GPS combo) I got as a gift a few years back. The dam thing chews through batteries like crazy.

As was said, snow I am sure eats them up.

I will have to keep looking

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Vertex Standard makes an FRS/GMRS radio, but you won't find it for $100/pair. (probably about $200 per would be my bet). But you get a killer battery and a waterproof/shockproof radio. Worth the $ IMO, but I am a little biased towards them ;)

Motorola makes the best consumer units available, of all the ones I've tried. The Rinos are cool, the position reporting functionality is a nice feature that any other radio system would need external hardware to deal with.

Premium Features