• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SHR is taking orders for MPI pg 850 kits!!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have run turbos and this is my first year I'm going turbo free. I have zero faith in anyone coming out with a Turbo that runs smooth before they have even got a lot of testing. Paying several thousand dollars to be a test dummy is asinine...

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
We need details... would be great if MPI would be a bit more forthcoming with detailed information. Especially since the new sleds are now on the snow. I realize getting a brand new kit onto a brand new sled has its challenges but communication goes a long way even when maybe there isn't that much to communicate. I would still like these questions answered in detail...

1) which turbo are they using and why?
2) which fuel controller are they using?
3) which automatic boost controller are they using?
4) does the kit come with clutching?
5) gearing changes recommended?
6) whose oil pump are they using?
7) where are they pulling the intake air from... under the hood? Or fresh air from the stock intakes? Or?
8) what boost levels does the kit run at from low to high elevations?
9) octane requirements?
10) are there any upgrades in the workings as far as turbos and boost pressures for those that want more?

Some of these questions are lightly scanned over in their brochure ad, but most turbo guys want the nitty gritties. I know I do.

Unlike scaredy cat chadly here ;), I'm willing to roll the dice as long as I get some answers, see an install and maybe even see some on the hill action soon...

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I wouldn't say I'm a scaredy cat. I just know all to well wasting an epic day with a bum turbo sled. Believe me as soon as one of you guys going wheelieing by me one of my new 850's will be getting a Turbo thrown on it the next day. I got a full day on the 850 and I was seriously so impressed I know I won't be "needing" a Turbo to get where I want to go. I'll be content for a season while brave men like you get all the bugs worked out ?

ski-doo-it

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2009
woodinville
Hmmm...
I want to ...but its just to soon in this relationship to go that far ?
I need some foreplay before I get all boosted up.

Be patient John, and if your nice I could go all the way.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
I would like to John, but the 860 turbo you built me is working to good..

Never put my name on a 850 for this very reason, I'm tired of being the test mule, and wanted it in a 174..

Few points of interest after running the impulse kit two years now, fueling controller is soo important.. Running a constant 12-13a/f all day makes for a good running sled.. To have a good fuel map, it must air density, air temp, water temp, exhaust a/f.. And be able to compensate huge elevation and temp changes

I am guessing mpi/ brp have done there home work and hopefully bring to the table a complete tried and tested kit.. And learned from the 800 Etec turbo mistakes

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
We need details... would be great if MPI would be a bit more forthcoming with detailed information. Especially since the new sleds are now on the snow. I realize getting a brand new kit onto a brand new sled has its challenges but communication goes a long way even when maybe there isn't that much to communicate. I would still like these questions answered in detail...

1) which turbo are they using and why?
2) which fuel controller are they using?
3) which automatic boost controller are they using?
4) does the kit come with clutching?
5) gearing changes recommended?
6) whose oil pump are they using?
7) where are they pulling the intake air from... under the hood? Or fresh air from the stock intakes? Or?
8) what boost levels does the kit run at from low to high elevations?
9) octane requirements?
10) are there any upgrades in the workings as far as turbos and boost pressures for those that want more?

Some of these questions are lightly scanned over in their brochure ad, but most turbo guys want the nitty gritties. I know I do.

Unlike scaredy cat chadly here ;), I'm willing to roll the dice as long as I get some answers, see an install and maybe even see some on the hill action soon...

This is what I know today...

1) it is a ball bearing turbo...press release will give exact details:present:
2) dobeck, clean, simple and works
3) press release info:present:
4) no, but will have recomendations or SHR will have its own kit
5) yes 21/45 but elevation/track rider weight will dictate most
6) press release:present:
7) cold air from upper air box
8) 3 psi for low and up to 6.5 for high, will make 205-195 hp from 0-10,000'+
9) 91/92
10) they will have a stage 2 for the tuner guys (gauges, adj box, 3-12 psi, race gas 240-250 hp) for $4995

I hope this helps and thanks for looking-BJ

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
MTA oil-less turbo. Makes a super clean kit with no oil pump, tank or lines to mess with. Mountain 850 turbo kit $3995.

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
Looks so clean and simple.
Hope it works as advertised and doesn't mess up the oh so sweet bottom end throttle response of this 850.
On the waiting list...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
John,

Thanks for fielding the questions..

How much actual on-snow testing with production (non validation unit) sleds has been done on these MPI kits?

I'd like to see some good vids of this kit in use from some of the testing.

What is the EABC monitoring (what sensors)? How is it adjusting for changes in elevation?
Is it shooting for a particular TMAP target... or a general differential pressure target?
Will this require any changes from the rider when taking the sled from say 2000ft to 10000ft? (fuel box adj etc).
Is the Dobeck box already setup with all settings pre programmed?

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
John,

Thanks for fielding the questions..

How much actual on-snow testing with production (non validation unit) sleds has been done on these MPI kits?

I'd like to see some good vids of this kit in use from some of the testing.

What is the EABC monitoring (what sensors)? How is it adjusting for changes in elevation?
Is it shooting for a particular TMAP target... or a general differential pressure target?
Will this require any changes from the rider when taking the sled from say 2000ft to 10000ft? (fuel box adj etc).
Is the Dobeck box already setup with all settings pre programmed?

ok

only demo units and 2 kits at skidoo to verify package...

production kits are waiting for charge tubes to complete package to send out...

they have their own map sensor and keep boost/fuel at certain level to maintain 200 hp from 0-9000'...above roughly 9000' it flat lines at 6.5 psi and will drop a touch but still a lot more than stock at 10,000'...

no rider adjustments...possible clicker position at most to maintain 7800-7900 for all elevations (with turbo clutch kit/gear)...the kit is designed for the first level mod guys who want MORE power but want minimal tune time...the stage 2 kit will supply an extra 50 hp for the "tuner"...BJ

Premium Features