• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Comments about the PM about Thunderstruck 9 Teaser

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
you should do that with the 208 guys. show all of them respect for there hard work.
Several others have written to me asking the same thing.
Seems some people would like to be in the loop as good high quality teasers start coming out.

If this doesn't generate too much hate mail, I might just do that as the summer unfolds.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
are you kidding me???

Its a 6 minute commercial for the product they are selling...that you just hand delivered to 40,000+ confirmed snowmobilers...almost impossible to achieve without your doing.

And you did it all for free....while others have to pay just to be here?????
Nope, not kidding you.
So far as I can tell, you can NOT buy a copy of their video nor place a pre-order for it. I went to their website to confirm that before I decided to send out the PM on the Teaser, knowing full well there would be someone like you who would strenuously object to what I did.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hey Christopher,

I'm gonna give ya the benefit of doubt. I suspect the preview got ya all jacked up and you just wanted to share. I can relate to that.

These fellows are right. It doesn't look very good. I think maybe if you could do a little homework(not punishment...LOL) and search out any other posts about some of the other riders making vids and send out a PM for each of them with the link it might be a cool gesture.

Just my 2 cents, thanks...now I gotta go check out the trailer

I would not be opposed to that at all.

Build up a list of other really good high quality teasers that have been released already and send it over to me.

But please understand, it wasn't just the teaser.
It was that Jim decided to PARTICIPATE on SnoWest and had an active thread going that had interesting content in it.

You will notice that I did NOT embed a link to the movie in the PM.
Rather, I embedded a link to SNOWEST in the PM, bringing the SnoWest members into the thread itself, with specific attention to Jim's post #30 where the most interesting content would be found.

That may be a small point to some who are dissatisfied with my actions, but it was a major issue for me.

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
I watched the teaser, was impressed with it, reading all the post this evening what a bunch of angry people I am one SnoWest members That Did enjoy it.
I would like to be in the loop as good high quality teasers start coming out. I was at work and this made my day thanks Christopher, I don’t care what the others on here say I think it was nice for you to share that bit of winter with us, the preview got me all worked up. I can relate to why you sent it out.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thank You Puddy Tat!!
I am really am glad you enjoyed the teaser as much as I did.
After all, that was the whole point of the PM, just to let people know it was out there and to remind them of what we are looking forward to next season.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Done.

Though what you said was pretty darn clear a complaint and not merely a comment.

whatever you say Christopher....but every post in here did not need to be labeled a complaint before they even being made.

Not sure why you had to start the thread in my name anyway?

T
May 17, 2010
I personally and im sure i speak for a lot of people when i say that we'd love to see more teasers of videos. I know i love watching snowmobile videos and the best way to see what videos i wana buy is watch the teasers. i think it would be a great idea for there to be a message sent about teasers of upcoming snowmobile dvds. don't get mad at him for what he sent out, as you'd be happy if he had done that for you. he meant nothing bad by it, so just leave it at that...

Last edited:

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
I have my own thoughts about this whole thing, but will keep them to myself.

But i do agree that if this is done for one company it should be done for all the films as well. Not that i need a pm as i usually end up watching the teasers very shortly after they are releases.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
whatever you say Christopher....but every post in here did not need to be labeled a complaint before they even being made.

Not sure why you had to start the thread in my name anyway?
That was more a function of automation.
When I extracted your comment from Jim's thread, and moved it into it's own thread, you became the owner of the thread as your's was the first post in the thread. Its just how the software works.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I would not be opposed to that at all.

Build up a list of other really good high quality teasers that have been released already and send it over to me.

It was that Jim decided to PARTICIPATE on SnoWest and had an active thread going that had interesting content in it.

No homework for me......I'm not into vids that much to find all the teasers out there(plus, I'm too lazy :face-icon-small-hap. I was referring to other posts on SW. I figure you live here and have a cool way of running a search. I wouldn't expect you to go outside of the forum.

PS: I did like the teaser, but I have always liked TS(especially "best of")

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
Here's my take, my pm box is full due to me being a long time member who decided against paying. So it kind of surprises me to see a new PM. Then it turns out to be a non administration related pm from Christopher. Here's the deal your the boss of this place so you have to put on the white hat, keep the personal in nature PMs that may or may not show bias to yourself. The only blanket pms we should get are those affecting the site and it's workings. Otherwise be a regular Joe member and start a thread, quit spamming us with crap that we have no choice in recieving. Absolute power seems to be corrupting absolutely!

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
As an avid snowmobile movie watcher and someone who anticipates the teasers that start this time of year I can appreciate how you thought it would be a good thing to send this out to all your members.

As a new sled video producer but very experienced business person with years of sales and marketing experience I am fully supportive of why this shouldn't be done by a person in your position UNLESS it is something you are prepared to do for all vid producers and possilbly even all promoters of product on your website. It was a very well-intended message and I don't believe there was an intent on your part to promote TS unfairly. I love Jim's films and have a great respect for him in the industry. I thoroughly enjoyed his recent teaser, but found it on the forum threads like most other peeps do and where all other teasers are posted and perhaps where your support should have been shown. My initial thought when I got the PM, was "awesome, maybe we can now promote Sledbetties on SnoWest even though we're not a paid advertiser" and "I can't wait for Christopher to send thousands of PM's out when our teaser is released!" Probably what most producers are thinking. It's a very competetive market and lots of peeps work hard to get their product noticed...they are really going to appreciate that you will offer this service to them too! :face-icon-small-hap

The fact that nothing is for sale, no offerings are made in the post referred to...no commercial activity per se does not exclude that it is the promotion of a product/company regardless of whether something is offered for sale at the time or not. It's a commercial entity that makes the teaser and movie to follow, it has the name of the series and the production company and has corporate sponsors...it's promotion of a commercial product and marketing for future sales. It would only NOT be promotion of a commercial entity if it wasn't a commercial entity behind the product, it's not determined by what is for sale at the time. There are lots of vids for sale, just not the newest one. To say it wasn't unfair promotion of a commercial product as this particular video isn't for sale yet when there are so many previous vids as well as it's very obviously a commercial entity perhaps isn't a good argument.

So while you're promoting a teaser that you really liked and that many of us will...you are SW admin supporting a commercial entity in a way that appears biased as it's the only mass PM sent through SW promoting a product of a company (that isn't a paid advertiser? -I think that's what you said earlier) Promoting any product perhaps shouldn't be done by mass admin PM's UNLESS it's something you're going to offer to all. Big can of worms when you think about how much commercial support you get from paid members as well as how many producers there are who need exposure. Perhaps you could allow producers to 'register' with you to do mass PM's for all their teasers when they are released. :face-icon-small-ton

I really appreciate your intent and am eager to promote Sledbetties through SW :) I hope that you can see why this is a touchy subject for some and that you'll look carefully at personally promoting businesses or products via your SW admin status in the future or set up a system that's fair for all.

Thanks for moving this out of Jim's thread...this is a good topic for discussion on it's own. Hope you appreciate my 'comments' not 'complaints' :face-icon-small-win

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
As an avid snowmobile movie watcher and someone who anticipates the teasers that start this time of year I can appreciate how you thought it would be a good thing to send this out to all your members.

As a new sled video producer but very experienced business person with years of sales and marketing experience I am fully supportive of why this shouldn't be done by a person in your position UNLESS it is something you are prepared to do for all vid producers and possilbly even all promoters of product on your website. It was a very well-intended message and I don't believe there was an intent on your part to promote TS unfairly. I love Jim's films and have a great respect for him in the industry. I thoroughly enjoyed his recent teaser, but found it on the forum threads like most other peeps do and where all other teasers are posted and perhaps where your support should have been shown. My initial thought when I got the PM, was "awesome, maybe we can now promote Sledbetties on SnoWest even though we're not a paid advertiser" and "I can't wait for Christopher to send thousands of PM's out when our teaser is released!" Probably what most producers are thinking. It's a very competetive market and lots of peeps work hard to get their product noticed...they are really going to appreciate that you will offer this service to them too! :face-icon-small-hap

The fact that nothing is for sale, no offerings are made in the post referred to...no commercial activity per se does not exclude that it is the promotion of a product/company regardless of whether something is offered for sale at the time or not. It's a commercial entity that makes the teaser and movie to follow, it has the name of the series and the production company and has corporate sponsors...it's promotion of a commercial product and marketing for future sales. It would only NOT be promotion of a commercial entity if it wasn't a commercial entity behind the product, it's not determined by what is for sale at the time. There are lots of vids for sale, just not the newest one. To say it wasn't unfair promotion of a commercial product as this particular video isn't for sale yet when there are so many previous vids as well as it's very obviously a commercial entity perhaps isn't a good argument.

So while you're promoting a teaser that you really liked and that many of us will...you are SW admin supporting a commercial entity in a way that appears biased as it's the only mass PM sent through SW promoting a product of a company (that isn't a paid advertiser? -I think that's what you said earlier) Promoting any product perhaps shouldn't be done by mass admin PM's UNLESS it's something you're going to offer to all. Big can of worms when you think about how much commercial support you get from paid members as well as how many producers there are who need exposure. Perhaps you could allow producers to 'register' with you to do mass PM's for all their teasers when they are released. :face-icon-small-ton

I really appreciate your intent and am eager to promote Sledbetties through SW :) I hope that you can see why this is a touchy subject for some and that you'll look carefully at personally promoting businesses or products via your SW admin status in the future or set up a system that's fair for all.

Thanks for moving this out of Jim's thread...this is a good topic for discussion on it's own. Hope you appreciate my 'comments' not 'complaints' :face-icon-small-win

Chris..she hit the nail square on the head...now somehow you have to make this fair to the other producers, and make it right....although I as a consumer..dont want a admin pm everyday about commercial products ....good luck...

T
Dec 20, 2008
Radium, BC
Chris..she hit the nail square on the head...now somehow you have to make this fair to the other producers, and make it right....although I as a consumer..dont want a admin pm everyday about commercial products ....good luck...

Thanks AK. I'm actually with you on the commercial products PM. Don't necesarily think it's the way to go but if so, members would have to be able to opt out of promotional PM's...IMO.

S
Nov 26, 2007
FU
Would make for a better site overall without his useless input. :face-icon-small-con

hmm... that PM may have just hurt Thunderstruck sales. Reminds me of posts from Team2powersports. Guy had no idea what he was talking about. I have purchased a video the last 3 years at the Denver Snow Show. Not this year. :ban:

Premium Features