• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help calibrating TPS on PCV

S

Sula Tom

Jan 31, 2010
I have a 2010 d8 163 that is stock except for a SLP can and some intake vents, when I connect my PCV it does not want to idle. I know there is a way to calibrate the TPS, hope someone can help, thanks.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
In your PCV program on your computer, with your PCV plugged in and your sled running. Go to Power Commander Tools --> Calibrate --> Throttle Position.

A box will come up with voltages. Hit the reset button, then braap the sled wide open for a second. this will reset the TPS to the correct idle and WOT voltages. hit Ok or Apply or whatever the button is... and you should be good to go

S

Sula Tom

Jan 31, 2010
Hey man thanx a million gonna try it out first thing in the .am. Heard great things about the PCV hope it works!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Sula Tom, Let us know what you think of the PCV? If the pcv tps calibration did not work you may have a map issue or defective PCV? Who's map are you running? Dynotechs or SLP's?

S

Sula Tom

Jan 31, 2010
R44, is there a way to check if the PCV is bad? I had it on an 08 d8 ran great for one ride, and I mean GREAT, but on the way back to the truck I had some kind of ECU or VR failure, sled would run but only to about 5000rpm. Had it reflashed with the 1/14 flash, did not help at all. Replaced ECU and VR, solved the problem. Took it out the next day with no PCV and the bottom end went out, lucky for me I deal with a incredible dealership, they had a new crate motor on its way for me. In the mean time I made a deal to trade my 08 on a new 2010. The new one runs great absolutely no comparison, but I am still concerned with the overly lean condition. Back to the original point, could the ECU/VR issue killed my PCV. Thank you guys for all of your help!!!!!

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Sula Tom, Yes there has recently been claims that some of the PCV have been damaged when the ECU's were smoked and damaged by a faulty VR. I know of one guy getting his replaced under warranty but I think it just depends how old your pcv is? Did you buy it from Jim at Dynotech or where did you get yours? Call your supplier and tell them it is not working but I would not tell them about the VR issue because they will tell you your out of luck for sure then. The only other thought I have for you is did you upload the newest map for the 2010 yet with polaris's map changes since yours was on a older 800 previously?

S

Sula Tom

Jan 31, 2010
R44, I was running the 08 with the old 2010 flash not the 1/14 one, when running the PCV. The new 2010 has not had the 1/14 flash, been hearing too many negatives. I bought the PCV from SLP, that was before I knew about Jim at dynotech. The map that I tried to use the other day was the stock map from Jim.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Sula, Please let me know if I have over looked something here on your thread?

You now have a 2010 D8 and it runs fine with out the PCV? You just want to run the PCV because you have one and know how well it worked previously?

Since your old 08 D8 had the failure it sounds like it did damage the pcv if you have the correct map installed in it? I would definetly try to exchange it to be sure or buy another one and send that one back?

Unfortunately I have no way to confirm with any testing if your pcv was or was not damaged but with all of your information as I understand it and it looks like you have covered all of basics here?

I would have to bet you did have the pcv fry when the VR & ECU failed. What part of the country are you in and at what elevation? Sorry i cant be of any more help but I will call Jim at dynotech for you and see what he says and update you again shortly.

S

Sula Tom

Jan 31, 2010
R44, I really appericiate all of your help thanx. You are correct, in that I just want to run the PCV because of the lean issues and how it made my old d8 run so well. I live in SW montana, most of our riding is done above 6000' with a large part right around 9000'. If your ever in the area or thinking about ridin out here let me know. Thanx again for all your help.

S

Sula Tom

Jan 31, 2010
R44, Headin out to Wash. for two days, will be home Tues. will try to get ahold of you then, later.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Sula, Sounds good I will send you another message when I hear from Jim. We are looking to hopefully take one more trip in the next week or two. Talk to you soon.

C
Feb 8, 2008
Before you get to far make sure all the grounds are good. That is the first question dynojet will ask when you finally end up contacting them. They are very easy to work with and will probably have you send your pcv back to them. Once they receive it they will either fix it or replace it, just depends on how long you have had it. I recieved a new one in about 1 week.

600HOBandit

Jan 12, 2009
Fremont, WI
crashnbash, did you lose your PCV due to VR and RCU meltdown? I lost both about 3 weeks ago, and my performance with PCV has never been the same since.

C
Feb 8, 2008
crashnbash, did you lose your PCV due to VR and RCU meltdown? I lost both about 3 weeks ago, and my performance with PCV has never been the same since.

Yes, a bad vr took out both ecu and pcv on mine. Which flash was loaded into your ecm when it was replaced, and is it the correct one for the the fuel map loaded in the pcv?

600HOBandit

Jan 12, 2009
Fremont, WI
How do you test to find if your PCV is good yet? When i got the VR and ECU replaced it originally had the 1-14 flash on, but i went back to original 2010 and map from DTR. Now my check engine light comes on when i get up around 7000 rpms and won't turn off until i let off the throttle?.... trying to remedy this today, as i am in alpine for couple days to ride and test ride the 2011's on wed pm. any suggestions? thanks for the reply.

C
Feb 8, 2008
How do you test to find if your PCV is good yet? When i got the VR and ECU replaced it originally had the 1-14 flash on, but i went back to original 2010 and map from DTR. Now my check engine light comes on when i get up around 7000 rpms and won't turn off until i let off the throttle?.... trying to remedy this today, as i am in alpine for couple days to ride and test ride the 2011's on wed pm. any suggestions? thanks for the reply.

To test the pcv, it really is best to contact dynojet's technical assistance dept. When your pcv is connected to the computer look under the view tab and click on the device error details, it may have an error or it may not. Mine did not, but mine would not power up from the sleds power source only the usb cable power source.
If your getting a ck engine light I would find out why that is coming on. That may be the reason you are haveing trouble.

600HOBandit

Jan 12, 2009
Fremont, WI
Thanks for the input crash. i talked to Jim @ DTR today and added some fuel to my map in that range. my PCV doesn't throw any codes and powers up on the sled. thanks again.

S

Sula Tom

Jan 31, 2010
R44, got back from wash. just wondering if you heard anything from Dyno Jim. Send me an email or IM if you are going to be out this way, or just to BS.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Sula Tom, Hey I talked with Jum at dynotech and he said you should seend it in to dynojet since they are the only ones capable to completely testing the PCV's. I am watching for snow conditions so I will let you know when we are looking at coming out? Hows the snow where you normally ride at?

Premium Features