• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1M float suspension conversion

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
This is a parts list and a step by step of how to convert a 1M to use the '08+ float rear suspension.

Originally posted by 76FOMOCO

1, you will need all of the following parts.
2706-456 Bracket, Suspension Mounting - Right – Rear
2706-457 Bracket, Suspension Mounting - Left – Rear

Alternatively to these brackets, you can use any other bracket that will drop the suspension low enough for the track to clear.

0648-066 Shaft, Stub (use this to make spacer)
3604-396 Rail, Formed (x2)
4639-994 Float conversion

The conversion was done for about 750.00 and ended up with just short of a new skid with the pump.
2, this can be done using some of the old skid parts.

3, put the skid together with the front shock and cross bar from the stock 1M skid.

4, you will need longer bolts for the front mount about ¾” longer and will need to make your own spacer of a ½” (M is 16” wide and the 1M is 17” wide on the tunnel)

If not using the M-series brackets:
5, install whatever other drop brackets you chose, and install the suspension

If using M-series brackets:
5, you will need to drill out the old rear skid brackets and rivet in the new ones at 31.25” back center to center of the lowest hole on the rear and the front stock hole.

6, install the skid and adjust as needed

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Pictures of conversion using custom drop brackets:

Based on Mountain Magic drop brackets:
156_suspension2.jpg

Mountain Magic brackets:
attachment.php

We have a number of sleds running with these conversions, the one that uses the Mountain Magic brackets, we had to put smaller wheels on the upper arm in order for the track to clear the tunnel.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
We used a 5.63" wheel, but we have discovered that ice will build up on the mounting brackets and cause the track to ride above the wheel. This causes the track to rub on the U-cooler we have mounted in the tunnel.

We are probably going to have to build some deeper drop brackets to fix the problem.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Is there any real advantages? Like climbing improvement or ride? Is the powerclaw recommended with this setup for a complete package?

Thanks Mike

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Did you ever get any help? Or is things worked out? Just the 1/2 " spacers and a little persuasion and it should fit! Mike

kirks870

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2011
aurora,co
I put a 09 hcr skid in my o1 mc800 and the only thing I had to do was use 1/2 in spacer in the front and back. I also fabbed up some drop brackets and dropped my suspension.

Premium Features