• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 Fuel Filters

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Went to the dealer today and asked for all the filters for an 06 900 rmk. He said no problem and came back with just a 3'' inline filter. I just assumed he misunderstood me so I asked him again if he could get me the oil filter, and the metal filter with the wireloom tail. He gave me a look of disgust and said " dont waste your money on stupid things like that, those never need to be replaced." :eek: :eek: I purchased the inline filter and left. I know those filters need to be replaced and he made it seem like i was a fool for thinking so! So my question is how often does everybody replace the oil filter and the metal cased filter on theses sleds? I just bought this sled this season and none of the filters or VES was ever switched before I purchased it. It has a little over 2000 miles on it now. VES has already been cleaned, but haven't switched out the filters yet.

P.S.- If he is right and theses filters never need replaced than I apologize for being excessive when it comes to maintenance...

Thanks,
Nolan

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
My '06 900 has a little over 2,200 miles on it so far. I've changed the oil reservoir in-line filter once and I change the fuel filter at the start of each season.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Unless I'm missing something, the only fuel filter is the metal filter with the braided stainless hose on one end. The only white inline filter I know of on my sled is the oil filter underneath the oil reservoir. You will need a special tool to change the fuel filter - same tool used on alot of gas-powered Fords and available cheap at most auto parts places. As a note, before changing the fuel filter, take the cap off the fuel pressure test port (just above the filter - looks like a tire valve stem) and after covering the port with a rag, gently depress the schrader valve with a small screwdriver to relieve fuel pressure from the system. Fuel will spray out, so make sure to cover port with a rag and just to be safe, throw some safety glasses on.

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Unless I'm missing something, the only fuel filter is the metal filter with the braided stainless hose on one end. The only white inline filter I know of on my sled is the oil filter underneath the oil reservoir. You will need a special tool to change the fuel filter - same tool used on alot of gas-powered Fords and available cheap at most auto parts places. As a note, before changing the fuel filter, take the cap off the fuel pressure test port (just above the filter - looks like a tire valve stem) and after covering the port with a rag, gently depress the schrader valve with a small screwdriver to relieve fuel pressure from the system. Fuel will spray out, so make sure to cover port with a rag and just to be safe, throw some safety glasses on.

Thats what I thought also until I was handed a white inline filter at two different dealers. I dont even know where the white 3'' inline filter goes, I've only had the sled for a few months so haven't got that deep into the fuel lines. The dealer wanted around $40-$50 for that metal filter with braided hose. I remember reading a post a while back that had a link where you could get them for cheeper tho.

How often does everybody change that metal filter? Is it something that gets changed every season as a precautionary measure?

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
#13 is the fuel filter :

06TOUR.gif

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Yep, those are the exact two parts that I asked to dealer to get for me. Said it was impractical to ever replace them. #13 doesn't come directly out of the tank does it? I believe it is located more toward the upper side in the vicinity of the secondary and ignition correct?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Well, if he said it was impractical to change a fuel filter...then he's an idiot! What happens to your engine if you get a restricted fuel filter from some crap gas (normal) that causes a significant drop in fuel pressure ???

You get a lean condition that ends up causing a burn down, DUH!!

This industry among others is in dire need for "SMART PEOPLE"

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Well, if he said it was impractical to change a fuel filter...then he's an idiot! What happens to your engine if you get a restricted fuel filter from some crap gas (normal) that causes a significant drop in fuel pressure ???

You get a lean condition that ends up causing a burn down, DUH!!

This industry among others is in dire need for "SMART PEOPLE"

The exact think i was thinking! So how often does everyone replace all the filters? Where is the white Inline fuel filter located?

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
As I stated before, I change my fuel filter at the start of each season, so once a year minimum. Also, are you sure that white filter is not the oil filter I mentioned ??? Look at the second pic I posted. Does the white inline filter you have look similar to #14 in the pic ? If so, it is located at the bottom of the oil reservoir. I unbolt the reservoir and lift it slightly to access this filter on my machine. Fairly tight spot, but do-able. It may require a liberal amount of "industrial" language.

Last edited:
N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
yes it does look like the oil filter, except alot bigger. This filter is about the size of a roll of 50cent coins. Im assuming it must me a fuel filter, bother dealers handed me the exact same thing when I asked them for a fuel filter.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Fuel filters are about $28 through WPS. You'll need a 5/16 & a 3/8 fuel line tool. Make sure to bleed off the pressure through the schrader valve first.

I missed that this was an 06 900, the above info is correct for 07 & newer. Should be the same. Good luck. EW

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Nolan..

sounds like your local parts guy is a moron..

the ONLY filter for your 900 is the metal cased/braided hose one coming from the fuel tank behind the secondary..there is not an inline fuel filter since its pretty much all pressure fittings anwyays..

the oil filter is located just under/beside the throttle bodies..easy to get to with throttle bodies off or primary off..but do able with clutch on..

REPLACE your filters every season..cheap measure for you later one...get the ford fuel like removal tool from oriellys auto parts (plastic one, its like $3)

junk your inline fuel filter

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Thanks everyone, I've always replaced every filter on everything i've ever owned every season. Dealer just thew me off with this one. Makes me wonder where I would be without this forum.
Thanks,
Nolan

Premium Features