• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

anyone trying to give up smoking ?

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Holy crap this sucks! its only been a day. thats lame ive having a tough time,I just cant wait until tommorow :confused:anyway i got the patch on again and going to give it a try .I hope this works this time. I got no nails left to chew and cant get at my toes.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I quit 5 years ago.
Took me 2 months to completely stop.
Word of caution.
Watch you wieght.
I gained 40 lbs when I quit. Everything tastes better.

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Wife and kids are after me everyday to quit. Just don't have it in my own mellon yet to do it. Good on you for trying. I've tried and tried before maybe I just don't have the will power or the stress of my job just gets to me.

Keep us informed on your progress and how you do it. Maybe your way will work for others, and me.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Keep us informed on your progress and how you do it. Maybe your way will work for others, and me.

Should we start a stop smoking group and help everyone out with not smoking? Might be easier knowing others are going through it too.

I would be in... as soon as I finish my pack. :rolleyes: That is my usual excuse anyways.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Holy crap this sucks! its only been a day. thats lame ive having a tough time,I just cant wait until tommorow :confused:anyway i got the patch on again and going to give it a try .I hope this works this time. I got no nails left to chew and cant get at my toes.

Couple of guys I work with just quit using some sort of pills (prescription). Sounds like they were some sort of anti depressants that killed the cravings. Good luck to ya:beer;

S
Nov 26, 2007
Wenatchee, Wa
Ok I have to chime in on this one. Having smoked for 20+ years.... yeah I started way back in middle school, I knew I needed to quit. Well I had my last smoke while drinkin a beer at the Baker shootout this year Feb 6. Five of us went and got that Chantix script from the doc. It works!!!! Follow the directions and don't give up. Haven't even had a desire to smoke in month, and thats while out drinking, sitting with people who are smoking just don't feel like it. Now the $hitty part.... like Ollie says watch the food intake, cause yeah it does taste so so so much better, but yeah a fat guy doesn't pull that stuck out any easier than a smoker. So get a gym membership or start jogging and get that script and enjoy the rest of your life. Oh and the great part.... that extra money you get to keep cause you don't smoke no more.... heck thats a sled payment, more mods, or 1 tank of fuel LOL :D:D
Good luck to all :beer;:beer;

B

bullfrog123

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2008
Ashton, Idaho
Should we start a stop smoking group and help everyone out with not smoking? Might be easier knowing others are going through it too.

I would be in... as soon as I finish my pack. :rolleyes: That is my usual excuse anyways.

Not a bad idea Ruffy. Sometimes support will help with any cause, ie. tobacco, alcohol, drugs, etc. I'm in if others are too.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
that extra money you get to keep cause you don't smoke no more.... heck thats a sled payment, more mods, or 1 tank of fuel LOL :D:D
Good luck to all :beer;:beer;

I had just purchased a used dakota 4x4.
Stopped off on the way home and bought a months supply of smokes for the wife and I.
Discovered that I was paying as much for smokes as I was on a truck payment.
The wife and I started the process after we finish that batch of smokes.

it is scary how much you spend on smokes.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
I tell myself every winter that I am going to quit. That thought usually comes around when I feel like I am having a full-on heart attack from digging out a sled!! I really would like to quit before this winter.

It really is amazing when you think about it. When you are thinking about buying something like a new sled or some mods, you're not sure if you can really afford it. But when it comes to stopping at the store for a carton of smokes, it is like second nature. You don't even think about it. My wife and I spend $300/week on smokes. That could buy a new sled every two years!!

OK, I'm scaring myself here.

Now i'm gunna go burn one before bed!! LOL

Later,
Boone

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
I believe the anti-depressant is Bupropion. I tried Chantix and it did work but I had to stop taking it because it sent my blood pressure through the roof!!! After a week and a half of taking it, and not smoking, I had high blood pressure for the next two weeks so I really didn't want a smoke then either. Word of caution.... read up on Chantix before you take it. Most people that I have talked to about it before I started taking it spoke very highly about it. But after what I went through I looked into it more and there's some bad side effects. Either way good luck. :beer;:beer;:beer; Ooops Drinking and smoking is like peanut butter and jelly :D

B

BigTruck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 1, 2007
Maple Valley/North Bend
Chantix was the ticket for me. I had quit several times before and alway's started back up. Started Chantix and within two weeks lost all cravings! Havent smoked since!
Good luck!

O
Jan 14, 2008
MN
No one can say you should quit and then try... The only way you'll quite is if your mentally strong and can break the habit. There is a prescription that helps some people, the one my gf tried the doc said you can still have one or two a day... it'll never work If your going to waste the time do it, dont cheat.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I quite alomost one year ago to the day ! Best thing I ever did in so many ways ! I quite cold turkey .no patch, no drugs , Nada, f'ing toughest thing I ever did ! Dont try until you are ready or nothing is going to work! I had to find enough things to motivate me being a good role model and money being the top of the list. The best advice I can give is remove yourself from temptation no drinking! I stayed away from parties and such for a few months ! As hard as it was I now have a great sense of pride about this a little more coin in my pocket and the wife gives me more tail since I dont smeel like an ashtray!

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Well day two, lol what a accomplishment. This Will be the test today because everyone at work smokes "bunch of stinky losers" I heard about the chapex but ill try this first.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
Well day two, lol what a accomplishment. This Will be the test today because everyone at work smokes "bunch of stinky losers" I heard about the chapex but ill try this first.

The secret to quiting is to actually want to quit.
A lot of people will say they want to quit but don't have the real desire to quit. They want to quit because their loved ones want them too or they want to for social reasons, but you REALLY have to want to quit yourself.

As long as you can tell yourself no, I will not have one you will beat it.
If you tell yourself at anytime, I will just have one to kill the craving and then not smoke anymore, you wont make it.

If you can go 48 hours you have purged the nicotene (sp?) from your system but that is the easy part. The habbit is the hardest thing to beat and it is all mental. By mental I mean, you have a cigarette after you eat or you smoke while you drive or you have a smoke when you get up in the morning. Beating the habbit is the hardest part.

And I wish you all the luck. It isn't easy.

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
Yes I smoke my tires way to much.

:eek: Ops wrong thread:face-icon-small-win

Never did try smoking, Very glad I made a good call on that:cool:

I

IMSICK

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 16, 2007
Canada
every time you have the urge.... choke down a glass or bottle of water. Gets your mind off it..... Gum is good.... get lots. Switch it out offten so it never goes flat tasting. Plus the constant gum chewing keeps you grazing.
I found day 3 was the hardest.....

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
From what I know you really need to want to do it. 100% or it will not work. I know a lot of people who quit, 3 of them I would have bet almost anything they could not do it but they did. One of my best friends smokes and he does not have a lot of money so I try the do you know how much money out waste every year on that crap?? That alown would make me quit, I tell him I wish I had a habbit like that That I could give up to have all that money:D I have a very strong will and Know I could do it.

Premium Features