• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proposed Closure From Hoodoo Basin To Lolo Pass (idaho Side)

A
Nov 27, 2007
This is a proposed closure on the Idaho side from Hoodoo Basin to almost Lolo Pass. This is a HUGE deal!!! If you want to prevent this area from being shut down, please respond ASAP. The last day to input your comments is January 11th, 2008.

In short I got a notice in the mail to comment on the Clearwater National Forest Travel Planning, Motorized Travel, and the OHV rule the Forest Service is working on. Feel free to hit this web site and check it all out (Including the maps of the areas they are proposing to shut down for vehicle, ATV's, and snowmobiles) at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/Projects/TravPlan/ClwTravel.htm

Or just send a short note to Lois Foster at this email address letting them know you dont want it closed off or locked up as they have proposed:

comments-northern-clearwater@fs.fed.us.

The more people that write negative comments the better, or they will lock it all up.

If your interested there is a ton of information they have put out there on the subject so go ahead and read until your heart is content, but please send an email at the least so they know people are out here who dont approve of their plan.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
I'd send "Sled Idaho" a PM and let him know what's up so he can whip out a SAWS alert. He may need some information from someone that knows what's going on. You should also find someone that can put down a few suggestions on what areas are being closed, areas you enjoy and think we should definitely keep, what's special about it to you, what kinds of things there are to do around there for families. Why do they want to close the areas? People will need that info, to make their letters "better".

Wade

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
Thanks aremka

Janine from MT wrote out a news item that was sent to the MT SAWS members on Sunday & sent by CleElum (thanks Dave) to the ID SAWS members on Monday.

SAWS is looking for some specific information about affected riding areas from SAWS members during this week only. We will send an alert out this coming weekend so that people can get in on the scoping phase of travel planning. According to those with a lot more experience than me, this is the best time for snowmobilers to comment on areas that should not be considered for closure.

The current map shows that the forest will want to close all recommended wilderness area in the Clearwater NF to snowmobiling. This is the policy of Region 1. This closure amounts to over 200,000 acres, mostly along the ID/MT border north of Lolo Pass.

Our mission is going to be to argue that these areas are not suitable for recommended wilderness designation, because we freaking snowmobile in them!

Stay tuned; we should have something for you all to work with in the next week.

Go to CLEARWATER NATIONAL FOREST TRAVEL PLANNING then click on the location / uses map link.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
saws already has my comments on the particular riding areas affected.

This closure is big but could be small in comparision. Hopefully region 1 does not set a precedence for having snowmobile and bicycles as ohv's. If that happens kiss every proposed wilderness in the usa goodbye.

Here is exctly one reason why sleds should not be with atv's. Atv's can't go cross country without leaving a trail. sleds can.

tim

R
Jan 2, 2002
Newman Lake Washington
saws already has my comments on the particular riding areas affected.

This closure is big but could be small in comparision. Hopefully region 1 does not set a precedence for having snowmobile and bicycles as ohv's. If that happens kiss every proposed wilderness in the usa goodbye.

Here is exctly one reason why sleds should not be with atv's. Atv's can't go cross country without leaving a trail. sleds can.

tim

Your right Tim...SLEDS LEAVE NO TRACKS AT THE END OF THE SEASON....They can NOT be lumped in with ATV's.

This is a big deal boys and girls!! PLEASE click on the above link and send a quick clean comment to help fight this!!

Ragged

D

drphil

Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone know where exactly we are talking about.

How does this affect Hoodoo and Surveyor and Lolo Pass areas that we ride.

WHO HAS THESE ANSWERS

O
Nov 27, 2007
Letter sent.

I think a large portion of the snowmobiling community doesn't view these forums. Lets all try to get the word out and encourage them to write letters also.

Thanks,

Steve

S
Jan 5, 2008
This closure is in the comment section your letter can make a difference.

This area that is proposing to be closed is in a area that I ride almost exclusively. We need support by people simply sending a letter to the address posted by Aremka. Even if you don't ride in this are please help us protect it. It is one of the last places we have in Western Montana that has high elevation bowls with good snow that is not already a wilderness. Most riders that ride in this area access it from Western Montana from I-90. So I don't think it is getting as much attention as it should because it is in Idaho but mainly accessed from Montana.
Let your voice be heard. Email your comments to comments-northern-clearwater@fs.fed.us
Jeff

D

drphil

Nov 26, 2007
Talked to Lois Foster in Kamiah today

I called Lois a few times and got her message finally left her a message and she called me back within 10 minutes.
Background info...
Snowmobiles got brought into the travel plan as an extra. I got the sense from her ( she owns an ATV) that things might not be as bleak as we think.
The 3 public meetings she said were well attended by motorized users... ATV mainly. 30 in moscow, 60 in Orofino 70-80 in Kamiah.

Our conversation centered on the Kelly Creek Drainage or as you know the Great Burn. Initally she said that the 1987 Forest Plan made it proposed Wilderness and that in being CONSISTENT with Montana who close their portion recently they put it in the plan for Idaho to close as well. She said that Idaho use went way up because Montana closed and that people were then accessing Montana ( CLOSED AREAS) thru Idaho. Not alot of enforcement up there she said. Also for quiet zone and also for wildlife.

We talked about the area having 100+ inches of snow currently and that no wildlife is in that country during snowmobiling season. Also as far as quiet zones there are no non motorized users there either.

Regarding comments she said that Jan 11th was a "SOFT" deadline and that they would accept comments after that as well but try to get them in soon.

Here is the general timeline that we are on with the Travel Plan.
Right now is the scoping period for comments.
Draft of the EIS ( Environmental Impact Statement) should be out in late Summer 2008
Comment Period on the Draft EIS ( no public meetings)
Final EIS should be out Fall or early 2009
Then she said they usually dont but there is another 45 day comment period
Final Decison March of 2009
90 Days for APPEAL...
******VERY IMPORTANT****** See this later
Rule goes into effect for summer season of 2009

Here is the very important appeal rule.
If you made comments and are involved in the process and when the final decison is made only THOSE INVOLVED in the process are able to appeal it.

She said that comments turned in should be specific to a particular area and give reasons why you want access to remain her words were... the strongest comments are SITE SPECIFIC.
ALSO include your mailing address with your comments and they will mail out any DRAFT EIS, the final EIS and other info pertaining to the Travel Plan.

My indication was that if enough of us ASK for this area to remain open they will include it as an alternative ....she said there will only be 3 -5 Alternatives.
SO ONE last push get your comments in regarding the GREAT BURN area of the Clearwater Travel Plan. Be clear and specific as to what you want.
I want to be able to access the Great Burn ( Kelly Creek Drainage) for snowmobile use.
No wildlife uses that area in the winter.
I would be willing to have areas that we dont ride in non motorized

I made this comment to her and she said WOW I havent heard that one before but it makes sense
I pay the state of Idaho to ride off-trail in their state with the Tags...by closing the Great burn area to riding I am paying to ride in an area that I cannot access. IE( that is why I buy the tag)
and any other great reason to keep the area open.

Travel plan and maps
http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/P.../ClwTravel.html

TO email comments
comments-northern-clearwater@fs.fed.us

Take the time to send and resend if this clarifies for you...

E
Jan 10, 2008
Thanks for doing nothing about this until now. It is so easy to take riding areas away.

Big truck,big trailer, big sleds, nowhere to ride.

Wha happened. ???

You were worried about your image and we took your freedom.

Dec 17, 2007
If you check this loser's other post, he/she claims to be an ex-forest service employee, and we all know how to spot one of those. It's probably some idiot from the Great Burn Study group. They are the main push behind the state line closures, both in Montana and Idaho. Their office/house is located on Jackson St. behind pizza hut on E. Broadway in Missoula. Feel free to stop by and tell them what you think of their "Enviro Agenda"

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I don't know if this matters, but i do know that sandra mitchell with the issa will be meeting with tidwell on monday. Hopefully, she can make a good case for us. Thanks sandra.

tim

Premium Features