• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

400lb proclimb, "can it be done" project

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
I think you're going to be SUPER close... those are many of the mods I had on mine and it HAD to be right around that weight... or damn close.

Does the trail tank and seat save any weight off the 16?? Did lots on mine.

That could be decent dollar per pound weight loss as well. In the neighborhood of $100-$200.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
This will be interesting to see where it ends up, do you have an update?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
It's the last 25 that get extreme.

Prolites get with that 25 lb

425lb 153 prolites.

the motor is the last part of what your looking to get for weight loss.
just cut the durability down to 1200 miles for pistons and crank lower rod bearings with a 4 week warranty in January replacement time and your good to go.:spider:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Bdx tank is worth the money

I don't think there is much more than a pound or two in the BDX tank. The BDX tank was a 5 lb loss in 12' before cat came out with the new tank and lost a few lbs. If anyone has a blank BDX tank is like to know what it weighs.

Last edited:

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Cool project, nicely laid out for people to follow according to their budgets. When we did this same project in fall of 2011 there was a lot less known about where the weight savings could come from on the new chassis than there is today. Just from memory ours had in addition to what you have so far:

- C3 tunnel
- BDX suspension parts, obviously a cf skid would have been nice but $$$ add up
- C3 hood
- oil delete
- C3 tank
- skis

I'm sure more small stuff but I believe it was around 100lbs off the ready to ride weight. The 2012 162s we weighted were around 570 rtr.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Early Monday morning update. Got a new 2016 Boss seat last week. There are a couple different models. I got the low, lite weight seat. Yes, Boss is under new ownership and making good U.S. Built seats again. The Boss seat is 2lbs lighter than stock, looks great and has a storage pouch.

Stock seat weight

Boss seat

Last edited:

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
How much lower then the stock seat, approximate? What is the retail price? Looks good.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
When Boss came by two weeks ago and showed me thier 2016 PC seats, they had three models. The long one E-start, stock height seat and the low version I have. I weighed all three, the only one lighter was the low seat. If I remember right it's 1.5" lower than stock and much more comfy on your rear end. I think retail price was $379, but don't quote me on that.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
A couple more minor weight loss areas. First is the side panels. I've been using the cat vented panels for the last 2 seasons and will use the same panels again. Weight loss is about 2lbs for the pair. The nice thing about changing out the new side panels and hood is it keeps them looking brand new when it comes time to sell the sled. Pics below are of both panels weighed at the same time.

Stock 2016 side panels

Accessory cat vented panels

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Next step was to strip the rear skid. Over the last few years cat has already lightened things up a bit with newer arms, idled wheels and smaller bolts. First thing was to ditch the dual limiter straps and lower strap rod. The remaining single strap was attached to the anti stab wheel rod. Next the idler wheels came off. Last to go was the rail braces on the front lower arm mount. I only powder ride and boondock. Rarely ever big drops or jumps, if I did I might keep the rail braces. I didn't lose as much weight as I thought, about 3lbs, but after all a 40lb stock rear skid is pretty dam light.

Stock 16' skid

Limited strap

Parts that came off

Stripped weight 2016 162 skid

Last edited:
Premium Features