• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative Impact 36" forward a arm kit

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
It seems we are starting to hit the point on current mountain sled chassis from all the manufacturers where "rider forward" has diminishing returns without mods like this. Moving the rider forward puts the center of mass closer to the rider and makes it easier to control. The negative is that when you are initially tipping the sled over, you are closer to the wider part of the sled (a-arms) and it takes more effort initially to get it over. Moving the spindle forward and narrowing the stance then makes it easier to tip over. I'm guessing the next thing we will start noticing as the trend continues is that we are making the sled longer, which in turn will make direction changes tougher. Then I imagine the next "revolution" in mountain handling will come when a manufacturer figures out how to move the motor and drive train back and put it right under the rider and shortens the sled back up!

"revolution" like this http://www.vintagesnowmobiles.50megs.com/PP14321.html, maybe the ol Johnny poppers were onto somethin. Just keep the tank under the seat like nowadays, oughtta centralize the weight pretty good.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I can picture an Arctic cat lay down motor mounted as flat as possible on the top front part of the tunnel right above the driveshaft. Maybe they could flatten the motor a bit more and move the throttle bodies and crank case intake a little lower and a little forward on the cases and keep the weight from getting to high in the chassis. It could look similar to that pic of the John deere sled with the motor, clutches and drive train mounted flatter and a lot lower than what John deere did. It would probably be a mountain only design and not a very good trail design. It's just a thought that popped in my head. May not be feasible or possible.
I'm not an engineer.
Flame away.
Lol

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Good job on the TI A arms

Sorry Dan.
I guess we got off topic.
I really like your A arms and I'll be ordering a set of your TI arms for my next build.
I've got skinz A Arms on my EVO super chute M1100T and really like the way they changed the handling of the sled.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Sorry Dan.
I guess we got off topic.
I really like your A arms and I'll be ordering a set of your TI arms for my next build.
I've got skinz A Arms on my EVO super chute M1100T and really like the way they changed the handling of the sled.
I was going to say..was wondering if I clicked on the wrong thread lol. Hey no worries it's a forum! I'll try and get some pics of the ti arms here soon.
Dan

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Eric or anyone get any testing with raptors on these bad boys yet!! Wanting to pull the trigger when they're ready.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Eric you sell the Skinz A arm kit and Dans A arms .
Can you list the differences between them
Or anyone else that knows. I have been following both threads.
Thx

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Eric you sell the Skinz A arm kit and Dans A arms .
Can you list the differences between them
Or anyone else that knows. I have been following both threads.
Thx

The difference that I see is about $750 :eyebrows: and that's assuming you can poop the adapters for the shock since Skinz clearly wants to extort you into NEEDING their overpriced shocks as well by not selling the bushings they clearly have.

$1300 for A arms is just ridiculous. Cool Idea, and glad they did it, but if skinz wasn't trying to squeegee every last penny from your pocket, they'd sell more products.

oh btw... when you break something Dan will have it to you in a day or two, Skinz MIGHT have it in stock ;) maybe.

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
"It's possible" does that mean you had to do something to make them fit? Also can't wait to hear the review of how they sidehill!

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Outside of price, I think the primary difference between the kits will be ride height. There is a difference in lower a-arm mounting points on the skinz spindle vs stock.

I do worry about availability of spare parts with Skinz.

I really do think the key to both kits is moving the spindles in and forward plus increased steering radius. The predictability gained is awesome. The sled is just easier to ride and downhill turns smoother, cleaner and much much easier, like the m-series but better.

I'm pulling sidehill lines that I just could not pull off with the stock setup.

I believe both kits will be night and day different then stock, so can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Guys it's looking like the spherical bearings will be needed on both ends of the shocks. We tested with float 3's spherical on both ends so were not sure beyond that. I'm going tort Eric field questions (thanks Eric) that I do not have first hand on. Raptors having them already is a huge bonus. The 17" shocks are working I just think it's going to come down to how well you want the kit to work. The 16.625" shocks will and do get you to stock ride height. What Eric meant by possible is they fit tighter as far as clearance but do fit.

Dan

Last edited:
K
Feb 5, 2015
They look like they have a lot of clearance over Stock can you post a pic of a stock sled beside the kit or give a measurement compared to stock ?

Premium Features