• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1/2 ton and sled deck, one more time

N
Dec 3, 2013
I have a 2013 F150 supercab with an 8 ft bed. It has the max tow package, ecoboost engine, heavy duty payload package on 7 lug wheels. I know it's rated for 2300 lbs. Does anyone else have a similar set up? Have they tried a deck? I know I'll get jumped on by those who don't read into this all the way, and will tell me I'm way over gvwr, but it shouldn't be. Any idea?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
The fact that you're starting with a 8' bed makes it worthy of crunching the numbers & giving it thorough consideration.

With where the load is located on a deck, I would rather be 500lbs over weight with a 8' bed than be just under capacity with a 5 1/2' bed.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Ford lists the base curb weight on that truck @ 5600lbs with an 8200lb GVWR. Assuming you have some options & the truck weighs more, Ford's reported payload capacity of 2390lbs sounds about right.

Making some guesses here:
2 guys=400
2 sleds=1200
deck=400 (seems high to me)
gear=200
total=2200lbs

Hell you might even be legal! With bags I bet it would ride pretty well.

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
I have hauled 2 sleds, all gear, deck and 2 guys in my wife's half ton several times and had no issues. I put a set of air bags on it and it does just fine. Even rides pretty well.

J
Dec 15, 2008
Orofino, Id
You will be good with a set of air bags to help with the squat. Granted I was not in Canada and never had to run across the scales, but the F-150 felt more secure than my K2500, especially in stopping. Make sure you find a deck that clears the bed rails as the F150's are taller. My deck is adjustable.

My "Old" set up:
04 F150 Xcab 6.5' Bed. Fire Stone Air Bags (no onboard air, just leveled and went. DO NOT plumb together) . 10 ply Kelly Safari TSR. Bilstein Shocks (Hd's in Rear). Steel Sled deck. Most the time had 2 place trailer behind, but also hauled 3 place when needed (yes it was crammed in the cab)

My "New" set up:
1995 K2500 (6lug) Xcab 6.5' Bed. Timbren load bellows. Same 10 ply Kelly Safari TSR, same deck, same trailers when needed. Less interior room, but we use my buddy's F350 Crew more.

I went from a newer 1/2 to an older 3/4 ton and think the half ton preformed much better, from power, towing, sway, and stopping. Nice side is the Chevy sits lower changing the ramp angle. My reasons were to get out of the payment, so I'm not one of those that will tell you to buy a $60K diesel while you live with mommy and daddy so you can pull your single jet ski. Get a set of airbags on your F-150 if you are comfortable with the deck and run it.

Disclaimer (I am not a rocket scientist or Canadian and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Your experiences may differ but quit thinking and get out and ride :)

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Ford lists the base curb weight on that truck @ 5600lbs with an 8200lb GVWR. Assuming you have some options & the truck weighs more, Ford's reported payload capacity of 2390lbs sounds about right.

Making some guesses here:
2 guys=400
2 sleds=1200
deck=400 (seems high to me)
gear=200
total=2200lbs

Hell you might even be legal! With bags I bet it would ride pretty well.

Don't forget to add the weight of the fuel in your truck. Unless you are going to push it. Guess what your overloaded. Its not just tires it's the axles (1/2 - semi floating compaired to 1 ton - full floating) airbags dont help your axles. It's also your brakes, you know the most important item to make you stop! Here in BC you get onto a wreck and you have a 1/2 ton and deck with 2 sleds insurance company will not cover you cause YOU ARE OVERLOADED.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
Ive done it on 5 1/2 tons now since 98. never one issue. over capacity on all except current setup which is a 2012 Chev crew cab 6.2l 1/2 ton with 5'8" box, heavy duty tow package 2100# payload . sled deck is 300# and I had air bags on all except the current which I used Timbren springs. Best setup yet.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Biggest tank you can get on the Ford is 36 gallon, at 6.6lbs/gallon that's 240lbs. So I guess you'd be 40lbs over weight. I was liberal with the weights. Make your own deck @ 200lbs, leave 100lbs of the gear at home, are most guys really 200lbs?, and I bet ready to ride weight of most modern sleds is closer to 550lbs. Now the truck w fuel/gear/guys/deck/sled is at 7600lbs--600lbs below GVWR--.

At some point you have to recognize that the "150" or "1500" badging doesn't mean what it used to (when properly equipped). You don't need a 550/5500 series truck to haul around a couple toys. In the states you won't have any trouble. Canadian officials sound like a bunch of over bearing parents:face-icon-small-ton

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I asked my insurance agent about denying a claim if a truck was overloaded, he said not a problem. But that is in Washington state.
As for people stating that the brakes are not rated for the load, I ask you to show me a half ton truck that is not rated to tow at least 1,500 lbs.(you can put a hitch on a prius and tow 1,500lbs) We all know that its easier to stop a truck with a load in the bed (other than body roll, air bags will help with that) than it is with a trailer.
I'm sure that the sleds are not hauled every day back and forth to work. So figure 3,000 miles a yr in the back of a truck. It will take quite a few yrs to accumulate any amount of 'loaded' miles. Just keep an eye on the rear axle bearings. And replace them if you have any doubts. It's fairly inexpensive. If people are hauling 1,500 lbs every day for 15,000 miles a yr, then I would suggest an upgrade to heavy duty truck.

A lot of people on here replace sparkplugs on their fuel injected sleds every year(they're not fouled, worn or broken). Just because it gives them piece of mind. And fuel filters at over $100. Again just because.

Last edited:
B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
10 or 15 years ago, the weight police would have had a valid concern, but if you look at the capabilities of today's 1/2tons, including bigger brakes, boxed frames, and the nanny controls, etc. Then simply by running the numbers you will find that today's 1/2 ton capabilities would compete with 15 year old 3/4 tons!
Also, most, but not all insurance company's would not know a 1/2 ton from a 3/4 ton, nor would they know what you are hauling, unless you are grossly overloaded! We are talking a few pounds one side or the other of the recommended GUIDELINES! If you get in a wreck are they going to drag the carnage across the scale?
Lastly, as far as I know under 10,000lbs. plays by a different set of rules, as does Canada! Eh!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
As a frame of reference-- my 2004.5 Dodge Cummins 2500 crew cab, 8' bed is rated around 2300 pounds.

I haul a sled deck and no keyboard crusader would ever say I was overloaded

Exactly...ratings are ratings. The payload on diesels is actually less than the gas variant of the same truck, as the Diesel engine weighs more.....but I'm sure everyone here would rather haul xxxx weight with a diesel 2500 than a gas 2500.

To the op....with a 2300lb payload i would do it in a heartbeat. Would want e range tires and airbags, but I would want that on a 3/4 ton to haul a sled deck anyways.

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
Exactly...ratings are ratings. The payload on diesels is actually less than the gas variant of the same truck, as the Diesel engine weighs more.....but I'm sure everyone here would rather haul xxxx weight with a diesel 2500 than a gas 2500.

To the op....with a 2300lb payload i would do it in a heartbeat. Would want e range tires and airbags, but I would want that on a 3/4 ton to haul a sled deck anyways.

Good catch Jaynelson, I had missed the point that Murph made!

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
summ8 is right. I had a sled deck for years on my half ton, and I never even had the slightest close call with the truck not being capable. I have a trailer now but I switched for the convenience of being able to park in the garage and stuff.

The braking argument is total bs, these new trucks have plenty of braking power to stop with two sleds aboard, I mean I'm stopping a lot more weight with the same two sleds and a trailer aren't I? And I know I am stopping waaaay more when I'm towing my boat that doesn't have brakes on the trailer, and it even stops that pretty well.

I swear half of the people that thrash people for using a half ton truck are just trying to convince them selves that they NEEDED a $60,000 diesel 1 ton to haul 2 snowmobiles to the woods

92 coupe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2009
IL
I needed a diesel because I HATE when my truck has to downshift goin through the hills.:face-icon-small-coo

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
10 or 15 years ago, the weight police would have had a valid concern, but if you look at the capabilities of today's 1/2tons, including bigger brakes, boxed frames, and the nanny controls, etc. Then simply by running the numbers you will find that today's 1/2 ton capabilities would compete with 15 year old 3/4 tons!
Also, most, but not all insurance company's would not know a 1/2 ton from a 3/4 ton, nor would they know what you are hauling, unless you are grossly overloaded! We are talking a few pounds one side or the other of the recommended GUIDELINES! If you get in a wreck are they going to drag the carnage across the scale?
Lastly, as far as I know under 10,000lbs. plays by a different set of rules, as does Canada! Eh!

Well I bet, I bet, I bet, I bet your brakes are rated as 1/2 ton brakes!:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features